1.6

2003 BMW M3 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 BMW M3:

2003 BMW M3 Owner Comments

Jan 302014

M3 6-cyl

P133 code has come up after driving 100 miles. I took the car to a local mechanic in which he replaced all oxygen sensors. A few weeks later the code came back up. I took the car back to the mechanic in which he said it has to do with a faulty ECM. This has caused me to fail smog test unless I erase the code. The ECM has already been reflashed by BMW back in 2012.

- Inglewood, CA, USA

Aug 162012

M3 6-cyl

While driving on a relatively hot day (92 degrees F), my vehicle's smg (sequential manual gearbox) malfunction indicator light turned on and I began having problems with the vehicle randomly dropping out of gear into neutral or "0" for 6-15 seconds at a time. When out of gear, there was a complete loss of power. On one instance of dropping out of gear, I was turning right at around 10-15 mph when I found I could not accelerate and an oncoming vehicle almost ran into me. Since the first occurrence of this, this type of "stalling" has happened much more frequently when the ambient temperature reaches above 90 degrees, and now I cannot drive longer than 30 minutes without the smg mil turning on and gears start dropping. I'm concerned that this may happen at higher speeds and leave me stranded on a highway or even in stop-and-go traffic, where it seems to occur very frequently. I've researched many forums for this and have found this to be a common issue with other M3 smg owners. There is some indication from other owners that the issue might be linked to a hydraulic temperature sensor located on the main smg hydraulic pump but I have not found any information from BMW detailing a repair for this type of issue. The only option seems to be a full replacement of the hydraulic pump, which has already been done on my vehicle once before for a similar issue. This type of replacement costs almost $4000 as quoted by the dealer. I think BMW should get serious about this issue and conduct an investigation on potential campaign remedies.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA