7.6

2008 BMW M3 transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 BMW M3:

2008 BMW M3 Owner Comments

Jul 172009

M3

2008 M3 dct lag problem. At lower speeds the gearbox takes to much time to select a gear (like coming through a slow corner) and then after the lag and it "catches" again there is usually a jerky acceleration. This is not normal for a transmission to drive this way. Happens more in "D" mode but also in regular mode especially in 2nd gear.

- Calgary, 00, USA

Apr 022009

M3

2008 BMW M3 w/dct - I was making a left hand turn and had slowed to maybe 5mph when traffic on the other side had opened enough to make the turn, I pressed on the gas and the car did nothing but continue to roll at about 5mph towards the driveway in the on-coming lanes, where there was another vehicle quickly approaching. After about 3-5 seconds of hesitation the gear engaged and I was able to accelerate into the driveway and narrowly avoid being broadsided by on-coming traffic. Had the hesitation been for any longer, traffic been moving any faster, or there being any less of a gap in traffic, I would have either of been hit, or caused the on-coming drivers to have locked up their brakes possibly causing them to be rear-ended. This transmission hesitation is incredibly unsafe and is always a cause for concern if my significant other drives the vehicle. At this point I regret not getting a standard manual where I am at least in full control of when/if the clutch engages and am in my selected gear as quickly as my arm can move. This is not the first time I have experienced this hesitation, this has been a constant issue since the original recall notice, I believe I have software version 31.2.

- Redwood City, CA, USA