2004 BMW X3 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 BMW X3:

2004 BMW X3 Owner Comments

Jun 052015

The engine mount bracket bolts have all sheared off inside the engine block causing a safety concern with the engine not being fully supported. This problem is not an isolated incident, but rather very common on all X3 models. The internet is full of customer complaints with the same problem. I am the second owner of the car and just after purchase I found the problem. It would appear that this failure occurred a long time ago, consistent with the numerous complaints of failure at 60,000 miles. This is a design flaw and BMW should have provided a long term solution. Yet to this day, none exists. Replacement bolts will still have the same failure mode.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Nov 082014

After just spending $2400 last week on my car. I was traveling 65 mph on interstate 78 when my 2004 BMW X3 lost all power. I was lucky enough to glide my car from the left lane to the right shoulder. I tried to start the car again and all the lights on the dashboard kept flashing on & off and car would not start. As I sat in my car on barely a shoulder 18 wheeler's and cars flew by me shaking my car. I seriously thought I was going to die.

- Port Washington, NY, USA

Aug 122012

X3 6-cyl

Driving in neighborhood with stop signs and cross streets. Spouse driving. Other passenger in front. Me in rear seat pass side. 10 min into trip. Approaching stop sign, a few seconds after brake initially applied, engine begins to rev. Heavy braking stops vehicle, but engine still revving. From back seat, I have clear view of driver's feet and can see that problem is not misapplication of pedals. Can also see that hand position is "10 & 2" and not near cruise control buttons driver turns off engine to stop revving. We check floor mats to see if this was problem. They were normal position and not near accelerator pedal. When engine restarted, problem disappears. Frightening incident. There was a pedestrian in crosswalk who walked in front of vehicle while this happened.

- Chicago, IL, USA