2004 BMW X3 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 BMW X3:

2004 BMW X3 Owner Comments

May 222015

X3 6-cyl

I was arriving at my daughter's home in Decatur ga just before 9:00 a.M. on Friday, May 22, 2015. I pulled into her driveway but could see here was no room to park there due to the construction debris next door (from the new house being built). I decided to back out of her driveway and park on the street. I put the BMW X3 in reverse and it slowly (as usual) began moving backwards. With no foot on gas pedal, my car came to a stop at a slight incline. I reached my right foot over and tapped the tip top of my gas pedal, hoping just a small tap of gas could get me over the incline. Just as I did this, the pedal dropped to the floor and the car revved, then lunged backwards. I was holding the brakes as tight as I could and within a few second brought my left leg to help push on brake with both feet. The brake could not stop the full force of the car moving backwards at full throttle, and left black skid marks in her driveway. My car speed in reverse at full throttle across the street narrowly missing a dumpster parked next door and another vehicle driving up the street who witnessed the incident. My car proceeded into the neighbor's yard (directly across the street), crashed into the neighbor's car, pushing their car into the front porch of their house. Both cars were totaled and the house sustained damage. This incident must be investigated. Please contact me for more info and to get access to my car for inspection. People could have been killed!!!

- Marietta, GA, USA

May 152012

The contact owns a 2004 BMW X3. While driving approximately 5 mph, the vehicle suddenly accelerated unintentionally. The contact attempted to steer the vehicle away from a parked vehicle but crashed into the rear of the vehicle. The vehicle continued to accelerate. The contact applied the emergency brake and powered off the engine. The vehicle came to a stop however, the failure recurred four different times intermittently. On the last occurrence of the failure, the contact crashed into another vehicle and a wooden post. The contact was not injured. The police reported the scene and a report was filed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 57,000.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Nov 142009

I was in traffic and not moving with my foot on the brake. Without warning, my car accelerated and hopped forward, almost hitting the car in front of me. I had to press firmly on the brake and put my car in park, but the engine revved up or squealed, lasting for about forty seconds. The dealership called it 'unintended acceleration' and could not reproduce the problem.

- Richardson, TX, USA

Aug 202007

I purchased a 'certified" BMW 330I in December of 2006 and have had the fuel pump replaced, instrument carrier replaced, both passenger window regulators replaced, sunroof repaired, headliner repaired (it just fell down one day). The car won't start right up, and when it does it runs real hard and the RPM goes up suddenly, the car takes a minute before it will even move & then it does so fast! I have had it in several times with this complaint and they can't diagnose what's wrong with it. I was told that the computer isn't showing anything, so it will have to get worse before they can diagnose it. Wow! I've only had the car for 8 mos. And I've been to the dealership more times than I can remember. I'd like to know how they determine a car to be certified? it sure doesn't seem as though it was checked too thoroughly to me. And oh did I mention I had to take it to Goodyear today for defective tires, that BMW wouldn't cover. Thanks Goodyear at least you stand behind your products! this is my 2nd BMW and my last! please feel free to share this to BMW of North America!!!

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 182004

X3 6-cyl

When driver attempted to park vehicle in the garage. Vehicle self accelerated violently and crashed through the wall.manufacturer and dealer was contacted the next morning, manufacturer promised to investigate.message left with dealer's ass't shop manager for instruction, still waiting for call back.

- Coral Springs, FL, USA