2008 BMW X3 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 BMW X3:

2008 BMW X3 Owner Comments

Jul 292016

Driving on a flat paved road and hear two mental ping sounds on the front passenger side.I pulled over to check the vehicle, and couldn't see anything. I pulled out and when I turned there was a loud vibration. This happened when turning left or right from a stop. When further inspected you could see the motor was hanging at an angle. The four bolts on the engine mount bracket had broken off causing the engine to hang down. After inspecting the parts you could see by the discoloration of two bolts that they had been broken for sometime. There is no way of knowing when the first one broke or how long it took the last two to break.this could cause a serious problem to the operation of the vehicle. I spoke with a BMW mechanic and he said they fix this problem all the time, its not unusual. Its defiantly a safety concern.

- Millbury, MA, USA

Jun 272016

The contact owns a 2008 BMW X3 sav. While driving 55 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was approximately 139,000.

- Spruce Pine, NC, USA

May 152015

My BMW had been having a roaring, vibrating noise in it. Then it started running hot. I parked in my garage only to find water and antifreeze all over the garage floor. When I took it to get it fixed, the mechanic told me that the bolts which hold the engine mounts up on the passenger side had broken and the engine was sitting sideways and had dropped down and crushed the water pump and coolant reservoir. The bolts are not substantial enough to support the engine. They are very lightweight metal (maybe aluminum) and just broke. The car has not been involved in any crash. There is no reason why the bolts broke, but it could have really put my family in jeopardy. When I contacted the dealer to see if there had been any recalls on these bolts, they acted like I was crazy and didn't know what I was talking about.

- Wade, NC, USA

Oct 232013

I noticed water on the garage floor about a week ago and that the coolant was low. I took it to BMW dealer expecting a radiator leak. I was told that all 4 aluminum support bolts had been sheared and that the engine was resting on the water pump causing the leak. The solution, while covered by my extended warranty, is still costing me $50 deductible and another $200 or so to flush and replace the coolant (which was caused by the water pump damage). If I didn't have the warranty and was forced to pay for the labor, bolts, support brackets and a water pump - I would be even more irate that BMW hasn't issued a recall on this well known issue.

- Geneva, IL, USA

Aug 062013

X3 6-cyl

I brought my car into the dealership because it stalled and the check engine light came on briefly and shut off. The car was also hesitating on acceleration. The dealer determined the cause was a needed thermostat replacement. However, once under the car, the technician noted 3 of 4 engine mount bolts were "broken" and needed to be replaced. He said it was considered "wear and tear" and was not covered under warranty even though only one bolt was now holding the engine from falling out. This repair would cost approximately $400. Upon investigation, I noticed this website: where people post about their bmws. It seems that several others have had this serious problem around the same mileage point with the same make and model, and several complained that the repair was not covered under warranty, even though it appears to be a manufacturing defect as the bolts are made of aluminum, not a strong material, and one that easily breaks.

- Clifton Park, NY, USA

Apr 082013

X3 6-cyl

While driving at about 25 mph on residential street, felt an unusual "bump", continued driving home with no apparent problem. Started car next morning and felt an unusual vibration and noise which disappeared when driving. Vibration at idle continued, two days later, after driving on freeway, I found a broken bolt under the car in garage, I immediately took car to dealer service department. Was told that several motor mount bolts had sheared and was lucky no serious damage occurred. Quick internet search indicated sheared motor mount bolts to be a problem with BMW X3 years 2007 & 2008. Broken motor mount bolts could result in serious accident and/or injury - again, I was lucky.

- Corona Del Mar, CA, USA