5.9

2013 BMW X3 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 BMW X3:

2013 BMW X3 Owner Comments

Jun 222015

X3 4-cyl

I was driving northbound on ct-104 long ridge road, a 2-lane state road on Monday June 22nd, 2015 around 8am. I was traveling from stamford ct to bedford. About midway on long ridge road driving at around 25pmh at millers mill intersection the car stalled. I would see I was in middle of my northbound lane the dashboard lights were on, but speedometer was at 0 RPM and knew the engine had died, I immediately tried restarting the engine. While the engine cranked, I was in park, the engine would not kick in despite turning over. After repeated tries, and being unable to move off the lane, I pressed BMW sos button. I had turned on my flashers. Cars were racing in my lane and stopping before getting to my car rear-end. I knew I was in a hazard zone. But this a cell-phone dead zone. In any case BMW asked I get out of the hazard zone, but told them the car was simply unmoveable and would not start-up. So they called in the tow and informed the bedford police. For 20 minutes I sat there in the car. Then the flashers quite operating and increased the risk of rear-end crashes. Thats another issue BMW must look into. Finally the police arrived some 20 mins later the tow truck called by the police showed up. The BMW X3 was taken to bms mt kisco New York. A 2-year old car failing suddenly in the middle of the road without any warning and creating a road hazard was unnerving. BMW dealer informed me on Tuesday June 23rd the fuel pump had failed. It would take a few days to repair...the fact that a new car with 25000 miles has a significant failure suddenly and creates a life-threatening situation with cars barreling down in a 45 mph is worrisome and poses issues with qa of critical components and a recall if large number of cars have been involved in sudden fuel pump failures maybe indicated as a proactive step...updated 08/27/15 updated 12/3/15

- Stamford, CT, USA

Apr 052015

X3 4-cyl

On April 5th, 2015 at 10:00am. I drove my car to church (20 min drive / 10 miles @ 35-60mph speed) without any problems or indication of issues. At 11:15am I was in route to go home traveling about 35mph. When I reached a stop light...my cars eco-technology kicked in, and it turned off. Nothing out of the ordinary on any other day except that day. The engine light came on, the abd light came on, and alerts indicating my transmission was malfunctioning and my brakes weren't working. When the light turned green, my vehicle did not turn on. It shut off and would not restart. After 5 minutes of being idle in the middle of ongoing traffic and me panic-kingly pressing buttons on my key and on the dash...my car out of no where... turned back on. But my car was like in a "safe mode", I could not accelerate more than 15-20 mph and I'm not sure because the tachometer wasn't working or my indicators. The lights indicating that my transmission, brakes and engine were all still on and the alerts kept showing up on my navigation screen. I tried calling global assist, but the call would not go thru given my electrical issues. I tried sending a service request but that was also useless...and all of the service centers were closed on Sunday. I drove home parked my X3 and called the service center first thing Monday April 6th. (7:30am). They told me to drive it in, and once again dealt with the car not wanting to start... pushing buttons randomly on the remote until it decided it was ready to start. I drove it in this "safe mode" for approx 10 miles. And we are going on 4 weeks... and the dealer has been unable to repair my car and has not given me any resolution. My car has less than 35K miles and is a 2013. It seems like I shouldn't be dealing with this kind of issue so early on. I just want a new car at this point.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Aug 032014

X3

The rear hatch door opens unexpectedly. This has occurred about 6 times in the last 1-1/2 years. It last occurred on Aug. 3 and our dog -- who was sitting in the rear of the car -- fell out of the car as we were driving. This is the second time our dog has abruptly fallen or jumped out of the car due to the hatch unexpectedly opening while we were driving. The problem: 1) my wife and I both have keys to the car. The keys electronically lock & unlock the doors. 2) we parked the car on the street, and I locked the car successfully with my set of keys. 3) my wife left her keys in the car. The car remained locked. 4) after an hour, we arrived back at the car and I opened the back hatch with my keys in my pocket. 5) after the dog hopped into the back of the car, I pressed the "lock" button on the hatch. The hatch successfully closed. 6) I walked to the driver's side and unlocked the doors, got in, started the car and began driving away. 7) after moving about 20 feet and preparing to merge onto a major artery, people on the street started yelling that the back hatch of the BMW had opened and our dog had fallen out of the car. There was no beep or alarm indicating that the hatch had automatically opened. 8) the diagnosis: BMW explained that if a set of keys is left in the car, the BMW is programmed to not lock. 9) the danger: Instead of simply not locking, the rear hatch automatically opens. The locking/unlocking is inconsistent and there is no alarm to indicate that the hatch will open. This hatch is heavy, so if this behavior occurs in a parking lot, for example, it can easily injure a passerby. More importantly, anything in the back of the car -- dog, child, groceries -- can easily fall out. 10) takeaway: Doors and hatches should not open automatically. An alarm indicating that a second set of keys has been left in the car is a safer solution.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Feb 192013

X3 4-cyl

On February of 2013 while I was backing out of a parking lot, the rear windshield wiper started by itself and sprayed all the wash fluid until the tank drained and kept making a loud noise (audible from inside and outside of the car) even after I turned off the car engine. I took the car to a dealer and I was told the problem is due to faulty junction box. It took them two weeks to get a new junction box & replace it. After one year, on February 7 2014, the same problem occurred but this time it is the front windshield wiper that started by itself, drained the wash fluid tank and kept making a loud noise. Took the car to a dealer the same day & I'm still waiting for my car to be fixed. I was told BMW is aware of the problem with the junction box with X3 cars and yet they don't notify owners and replace the faulty junction box until after the problem occurs (it usually takes more than a week to get a replacement junction box). In my opinion this could be a safety issue; for instance if the wash fluid tank is drained while the car is being driven in a bad weather day ( such as heavy snow) which requires to frequently clean the windshield, it prevents the drivers ability to clean the windshield and could impair his/ her vision and could lead to an accident. BMW should recall all affected cars and replace the junction box before someone get injured.

- Schaumburg , IL, USA

Jan 072014

X3

Cpsc: I1410202A. 2012 BMW X3. Consumer stated the heated steering wheel heats up to 105 degrees which is unsafe and has to be turned off manually. The dealer informed the consumer, there was nothing wrong with heated steering wheel.

- West Chester, PA, USA

Mar 182013

X3 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 BMW X3. The contact stated that the rear windshield wiper would not stop and it drained the electrical system. The dealer stated that there were parts sent out to correct this failure but that the manufacturer was still looking into correcting the problem. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure mileage and current mileages were 740.

- Howell, MI, USA