6.1

2013 BMW X3 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 BMW X3:

2013 BMW X3 Owner Comments

Jun 222015

X3 4-cyl

I was driving northbound on ct-104 long ridge road, a 2-lane state road on Monday June 22nd, 2015 around 8am. I was traveling from stamford ct to bedford. About midway on long ridge road driving at around 25pmh at millers mill intersection the car stalled. I would see I was in middle of my northbound lane the dashboard lights were on, but speedometer was at 0 RPM and knew the engine had died, I immediately tried restarting the engine. While the engine cranked, I was in park, the engine would not kick in despite turning over. After repeated tries, and being unable to move off the lane, I pressed BMW sos button. I had turned on my flashers. Cars were racing in my lane and stopping before getting to my car rear-end. I knew I was in a hazard zone. But this a cell-phone dead zone. In any case BMW asked I get out of the hazard zone, but told them the car was simply unmoveable and would not start-up. So they called in the tow and informed the bedford police. For 20 minutes I sat there in the car. Then the flashers quite operating and increased the risk of rear-end crashes. Thats another issue BMW must look into. Finally the police arrived some 20 mins later the tow truck called by the police showed up. The BMW X3 was taken to bms mt kisco New York. A 2-year old car failing suddenly in the middle of the road without any warning and creating a road hazard was unnerving. BMW dealer informed me on Tuesday June 23rd the fuel pump had failed. It would take a few days to repair...the fact that a new car with 25000 miles has a significant failure suddenly and creates a life-threatening situation with cars barreling down in a 45 mph is worrisome and poses issues with qa of critical components and a recall if large number of cars have been involved in sudden fuel pump failures maybe indicated as a proactive step...updated 08/27/15 updated 12/3/15

- Stamford, CT, USA

Mar 052013

X3

On the first occurrence I braked smoothly at a traffic light that was red as I approached. The vehicle stopped and then the engine revved and lurched forward slowly 3 to 4 times taking me through the intersection as I was pressing on the brake. I could not stop the vehicle. Once through the intersection I took my foot off the brake and applied the gas pedal and drove to a nearby parking lot. When I came out of a store after 45 minutes, I tested the brakes by driving slowly in the parking lot and applying the brakes several times. Each time but one the engine revved while I had my foot deliberately on the brakes, not on the gas or gas and brake. If I removed my foot from the brake, the revving stopped and gas operated appropriately. I drove home and called the dealer who had it towed, checked it out for a couple of days, could not reproduce the problem and said it was fine. It was raining on the day of the occurrence. The second occurrence happened 6 days after the first, another rainy day. I braked at a stop sign. The vehicle stopped and then the engine revved as I was pressing on the brake, then lurched forward once into the intersection. I immediately removed my foot from the brake and drove forward. This did not repeat as I drove home. Again the car was towed to the dealer, checked out by the dealer and an engineer from BMW na and nothing could be reproduced. They told me to take the car home. It had to be my error. I objected that I have never had any similar problem with any other car I've driven including the two BMW loaners they supplied. I told them I was unhappy with the decision not to check it out further especially since they had not made any attempt to test it in the rain. BMW na representative was adamant that it could not be the vehicle.

- New Albany, OH, USA