2013 BMW X3 miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 BMW X3:

2013 BMW X3 Owner Comments

Mar 062016

Had been driving for approx. 5 minutes in residential area. Check engine light, low oil pressure warning & black smoke thru dashboard. Could see flames under the hood. Within 5-6 minutes car was fully engulfed in flames. Nothing left except for the frame. Total loss, almost no warning.

- Princeton Junction, NJ, USA

Oct 152015

The battery of the vehicle drains even when it is not running. The battery gets so drained that it cannot be recharged and needs to be replaced.initially the service man kept telling me that I had left something on and that is why the battery drained. But someone told me off the record that it is possible that the computer system did not shut down properly and that was draining the battery and since I was not driving a long distance (I drive approx 25 miles total each day), that was not enough time for battery to recharge. The car makes weird noises when the engine has been turned off for hours and it is parked in the garage indicating something is still running. Things that I was told to do to ensure that this does not happen again is to lock the car when in the garage, to not run it in eco mode which turns off the engine if stopped for a long duration (let's say at a traffic light), since I am not driving it long mode is one of the selling points for this car for fuel efficiency and now I am being asked to turn that off. My car is only 2 years old and I had to already change the battery. Because of this issue the vehicle automatically went into park on two separate occasions when I was stopped at a red light, which is very risky and may cause an accident. There are multiple complaints about this on the internet. I request you to please investigate this issue. I have asked the dealership for system report when the car was towed in because it would not start (even though it had been jump started the previous night), but so far I have not received anything.

- Algonquin, IL, USA