2014 BMW X3 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 BMW X3:

2014 BMW X3 Owner Comments

Jan 272016

1) at 14K miles, the transmission transfer case failed. Local BMW service shop replaced the case to resolve the issue. I was surprised by this issue at this low mileage as I have been driving many cars for past 25+ years, but never had such problems. 2) in last week of Jan, my car engine completely stopped and car came off drive mode while I was driving my car on highway. Fortunately, there was none behind my car and I was able to safely stop my car with the emergency lights on. Car would not go in drive mode until I had stopped engine completely. I started driving again, and few minutes later same thing happened again. Fortunately again there was no vehicles were behind me I was scared to death both the times with heart beating really hard.* 3) I thought I may inadvertently have touched some buttons, and this may have happened, so I decided to be more mindful about not touching any buttons etc and observe one more time. 4) 2 days I drove the car w/O issue. 5) few days later, when I was driving back home, same thing happened again and luckily this time too, I did not have any vehicle behind me. Given, it was late in the evening (service shop was closed), I decided to take the vehicle to dealership next day. 6) next day I took the car to dealership and they ran diagnostic and found nothing. But they decided to talk to BMW usa for further diagnosis. 7) today, I received a call from the dealership and they said, BMW-usa did not found the any cause that may have caused the issue but given engine intermittently stopped, they are going to replace the whole engine. Even after replacing the engine, I feel that they did not address the root cause I suspect there is something more to it and this vehicle is not safe to drive. Reporting this see if others have experienced this and qualify for recall.

- Charlotte, NC, USA