4.1

2002 BMW X5 lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 BMW X5:

2002 BMW X5 Owner Comments

Sep 102005

X5 6-cyl

I drive a 2002 BMW X-5. I am extremely disappointed and frustrated by the failure of a basic component of my auto. On three separate occasions there have been electrical shorts in both front turn signals and one of the brake lights. At 58,315 miles the right turn signal bulb and socket burned at contacts and was replaced for $126.25. At 85,549 miles the left turn signal bulb and socket burned out and was replaced for $133.89. At 88,685 miles the left brake light is shorted out. The dealer did not have the part in stock but the repair was quoted to be $239. The second failure actually happened as I was driving in a heavy rain storm. The other two failures just showed up on the car's diagnostic self check at start up. It seems the light fixtures and wiring are prone to water exposure that results in the electrical short. Perhaps it is faulty design or substandard materials.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Nov 122002

X5

I drive 3,000 miles per month and I'm tired of being blinded by BMW's hid lights. No matter if they are coming towards me or behind they are too bright! other manufacturers do not seem to have this problem. I have noticed that the X5 SUV is the absolute worst vehicle made to drive in front of at night. I have had to pull over to avoid being blinded.this problem has occured in the three different vehciles that I drive, so height of my vehicle is not a contributing facor. I feel that these lights are dangerous and should be redesigned

- Deptford, NJ, USA