1.4

2002 BMW X5 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 BMW X5:

2002 BMW X5 Owner Comments

Feb 062013

X5

The contact owns a 2002 BMW X5. The contact stated that when attempting a turn in either direction, the steering wheel seized and required tremendous force to straighten the wheels. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not diagnosed for the failure. The failure and current mileage was 180,000.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Nov 142012

X5 6-cyl

I was driving and I tried to turn left and it wouldn't. I tried to turn right and it unlocked it, so I was able to turn left afterwards. It did it again, this time it locked up both left and right. It eventually unlocked and I was able to bring the car home, test drove it and it seems fine again. It comes and goes. I called the BMW dealer in vista, ca to see if there is a safety recall on it and they said that my VIN do not have a recall on steering. I checked the online postings and apparently there are a lot of this cases and some of them are drilling a part of steering column and removing a spring to correct the porblem. I had the same problem with my old BMW 525 before so I junked it.

- Oceanside, CA, USA

Aug 262011

X5

The contact owns a 2002 BMW X5. The contact stated that while exiting a residential driveway, the steering wheel seized. The contact shut off and restarted the vehicle but the failure was still present. The contact had the vehicle towed to a dealer where the dealer performed a diagnostic test that concluded that there was a jam in the steering lock. The dealer replaced the power steering system. The failure mileage was 132,000.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Aug 102010

X5

I was driving on a highway going about 65mph, all the sudden I have no control of my steering, it was very hard to steer, I've almost crashed in to the other vehicle with my two infants in the car. Contacted the dealer they says nothing wrong with the power steering problems, they reset the computer and said im good to go...my car is 2002 BMW X5 3.0I.

- Brooklyn Park, MN, USA