2003 BMW X5 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 BMW X5:

2003 BMW X5 Owner Comments

Oct 142014

TL-the contact owns a 2003 BMW X5. The contact stated while driving at an unknown speed attempting to engaged the brakes, the vehicle began to accelerate at full speed. The vehicle crashed into a tree. The vehicle was deemed destroyed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000. Pam

- Marrietta, GA, USA

Jul 202012

While driving on a freeway at about 80 miles per hour, with the cruise control on, it was necessary to dis-engage the cruise control for a slower vehicle. When I then applied my foot to the gas pedal, it suddenly felt unstable and wobbly. I found it difficult to maintain steady pressure on it and maintain my speed in heavy freeway traffic. I was very uncomfortable with the situation. Fortunately I was just 20 miles from my destination, and I was able to very carefully and repeatedly re-position my foot on the gas pedal to maintain speed in heavy traffic. Upon arriving at my destination, I examined the gas pedal, only to find most of it had detached from the floorboard - a thin, flimsy web of plastic that held the gas pedal to the floorboard had split at the floorboard, causing the problem. Only about 15 or 20% of the attachment remained. Had 100% of the attachment failed, I would certainly have lost all accelerator control in traffic and at high speed, a potentially dangerous scenario. It is my opinion that the design of this gas pedal is defective, which led to the problem at only 33500 miles! I complained to BMW U.S.a with no satisfaction. I claimed that they should be responsible for the repair cost due to faulty design, which constitutes lifetime responsibility outside of the warranty period. They did not agree. I also feel the extreme heat conditions present in the desert southwest where I live may have also contributed to the failure. I am reporting this incident in the hope it may prevent a similar, possibly more serious failure for someone else owning a BMW. I have retained the failed gas pedal and can provide pictures to you if you like.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA