2.5

2007 BMW X5 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 BMW X5:

2007 BMW X5 Owner Comments

Nov 082014

X5 8-cyl

It was 9:57A.M. Saturday, November 8th 2014, started driving the vehicle, and noticed that the whole drive train would slightly jerk while driving and applying 15-25% of load, (I bought a vehicle two months ago, and from the first day - on cold - it would make the same symptom for couple of first 500-700 yards, after couple of stops and goes, vehicle heats up to operating temperature and the vehicle would drive normally.) at 10:20A.M, same Saturday, I made a full stop on a stop sign turning right to a main street. As most of the traffic was driving on the main street, I waited for the fast pas paced traffic to pass by, I tried to enter the main street by accelerating the vehicle. So I applied approx. 20-25% load, it was 5mph when I was about to align steering wheel to zero degrees center, I heard and felt rear suspension freezing up, clicking and chattering with loud grinding sound (sounded like the axle fell out) engine RPM would increase to 3,000rpm but vehicle would not accelerate, and something in the rear was still grinding when transmission was in drive or reverse. I had to pull over to the curb, blocking right lane. Vehicle had no transmission warning lights or error messages on cluster. I did towed the vehicle to my BMW technician, and he told me that I need rear differential, reason internal failure, I told technician to make notes of anything unusual while taking rear differential out of the vehicle. Technician noted that rear differential fluid was right at its level and no leaks or even seepage was not noticeable (I owned many bmws well over 200K miles on the cluster, and had no issues with rear differentials.) link to one of the youtube videos about E70 X5 rear differential failures https://www.youtube.com/watch"V=af_7ianxmsi is there anything we can do about this"

- North Highlands, CA, USA

Aug 122011

X5 6-cyl

The transmission mechatronic sealing sleeve leaked fluid and left puddle of oil/fluid on my garage floor. The early diagnosis showed engine oil leak and eventually concluded it was transmission fluid leak recently, while the vehicle leaked the fluid during a long period of time that we don't know how much it leaked already. The transmission is a sealed unit and owner has no way to check the fluid level via a dipstick or any mean. The automatic sensor system only checks engine oil, brake fluid, power steering fluid, etc but not reports transmission fluid level. So, there is no way any BMW owner would know if the transmission fluid is low or totally empty. This would post safety issue if a vehicle breaks down in a middle of traffic due to transmission fluid leak problem without any warning sign. Furthermore, BMW has published a technical service information "si B 24 08 06" dated March 2010 for this particular problem. BMW did not notify owner to check the vehicle for sign of transmission fluid leak, nor asked dealer to inspect the vehicle during service visits. As a matter of fact, my 2007 X5 has never been inspected for this problem but it clearly had this problem! considering it is a low mileage vehicle, this problem should not exist normally. Thus, the workmanship or material BMW used in the (transmission) assembly factory has poor quality and causes this safety concern. There was a saying if a vehicle was driven too much, or a vehicle was sitting there or not been driven for a period of time, it would have this problem. Such a saying should not be a factor of design or quality control of BMW (or any) vehicle and I urge BMW recalls all vehicle to check for transmission leak due to this problem and pays for all necessary repair.

- Cupertino, CA, USA

Jul 132011

X5 8-cyl

On 13 July, 2011, with only 56,201 miles, our BMW X5 suffered what an independent BMW auto repair shop later diagnosed as a "total electrical meltdown involving almost all powertrain components and data bus system." Symptoms upon startup that morning included a level control system malfunction light, a transmission malfunction warning, a parking brake malfunction warning, a passenger restraint malfunction warning, an all-wheel drive, dsc, ABS, and emergency abv malfunction warning, as well as rapid windshield wiper movement and an intermittent engine start button. I am an officer in the United States navy, on active duty, and I deployed that morning for almost six weeks; I have recently returned. The burden of coordinating an automobile tow and repair that day was left to my wife, the mother of our two young children. To say that this was an inconvenience to her is a gross understatement. We purchased the BMW based on its previous reputation for quality, and we paid much more for this vehicle than we would have for something like a Honda Odyssey or a Toyota sienna. We were willing to pay more with the understanding that, during my long and frequent absences in the service of our country, my wife and family would have a reliable and safe vehicle. I feel this decision to purchase this BMW product was a mistake, and one I never intend to repeat. The vehicle was only 6,000 miles outside of the 50,000 mile warranty, and yet none of the $1,781.31 invoice was covered by BMW; it was covered solely by my savings. I can not in good conscience recommend any BMW product to any of my friends or colleagues.

- Anacortes, WA, USA

Dec 072010

X5

The contact owns a 2007 BMW X5. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact was able to move the vehicle off the road and had it towed to an authorized dealer. The dealer stated that the rear axle, rear differential were defective and the transmission leaked fluid. The vehicle had not been repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The current and failure mileages were approximately 93,000.

- Stone Mountain, GA, USA

Mar 202010

X5

Have their been other engine/camshaft defect complaints for the 2007 BMW X5 vehicle. The vehicle sensors on my X5 BMW are identifying this as a potential repair job and the BMW dealer has confirmed.

- Harbor City, CA, USA