3.6

2007 BMW X5 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 BMW X5:

2007 BMW X5 Owner Comments

Dec 092015

X5

The contact owns a 2007 BMW X5. The contact stated that water drained into the module on the rear driver side compartment of the vehicle, which caused the radio and navigation system to experience a short circuit failure. The contact was concerned that due to a design flaw in the draining system in the rear sun roof of the vehicle, that water could enter the compartment where the modules were located, causing an electrical failure, a vehicle stall, or an electrical fire. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to be diagnosed. The contact was informed that drain needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 49,000.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jun 032013

X5 6-cyl

The electric water pump has constantly failed even after replacing it and caused also damage to fuse box and thermostat most of the time. BMW must be forced to recall the 2007 X5 3.0I and get this problem fixed once and for all.

- Brockton, MA, USA

Jul 042012

X5 6-cyl

It was the night of independence day 2012, it had rained moderately hard earlier in the day. When I started my 2007 BMW X5 3.0si to drive home, I was greeted with a bunch of warnings and errors on both my instrument cluster and navigation display. The most major one read "electronic system malfunction: Take to nearest BMW center." The ABS light was also lit up. Since it was late at night, the dealership was closed and so I proceeded to try to drive home. On the drive home, I noticed that my A/C system shut itself off and that my turn signals were extremely laggy & at times, were not even turning on a real traffic hazard. Fortunately, I made it home, but turning the car off was tricky because each time, oddly, the lights inside the car and ambient lighting on different parts of the car were still lit even when I removed the keyfob and locked the car. Examples include the radio unit, the engine start button. The next morning, I took the car to the BMW dealership and they charged me $200+ just to perform diagnostics on the car. They ended up finding nothing and suggested that I pay more for them to take off the two front seats and inspect the wires under the carpet in the front of the car (I found out that this because they knew about NHTSA item #: 10032845 / service bulletin # sib-61-13-07). I declined because I did not want to spend any more money all for them to not be able to find anything again. As of July 28, 2012, the electrical issue still occurs after a moderate to heavy rainstorm. I believe (along with many BMW X5 owners with the same issue) that it has to do with a faulty drainage pipe relating to the panoramic moonroof, which allows for water to leak inside the car and screw up the car's wiring. Please do something. This is something BMW should be responsible for & repair at no cost. Why should I pay to resolve a design flaw that BMW made!??

- Bedford Hills, NY, USA

Mar 212012

X5

The contact owns a 2007 BMW X5. The contact stated that only the front driver's door could be opened. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was informed that the failure was caused by an electrical system failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and the contact was awaiting a response. The failure mileage was 33,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Piedmont, CA, USA

Jul 132011

X5 8-cyl

On 13 July, 2011, with only 56,201 miles, our BMW X5 suffered what an independent BMW auto repair shop later diagnosed as a "total electrical meltdown involving almost all powertrain components and data bus system." Symptoms upon startup that morning included a level control system malfunction light, a transmission malfunction warning, a parking brake malfunction warning, a passenger restraint malfunction warning, an all-wheel drive, dsc, ABS, and emergency abv malfunction warning, as well as rapid windshield wiper movement and an intermittent engine start button. I am an officer in the United States navy, on active duty, and I deployed that morning for almost six weeks; I have recently returned. The burden of coordinating an automobile tow and repair that day was left to my wife, the mother of our two young children. To say that this was an inconvenience to her is a gross understatement. We purchased the BMW based on its previous reputation for quality, and we paid much more for this vehicle than we would have for something like a Honda Odyssey or a Toyota sienna. We were willing to pay more with the understanding that, during my long and frequent absences in the service of our country, my wife and family would have a reliable and safe vehicle. I feel this decision to purchase this BMW product was a mistake, and one I never intend to repeat. The vehicle was only 6,000 miles outside of the 50,000 mile warranty, and yet none of the $1,781.31 invoice was covered by BMW; it was covered solely by my savings. I can not in good conscience recommend any BMW product to any of my friends or colleagues.

- Anacortes, WA, USA

Nov 252008

X5

In July 2007 I purchased a brand new, fully loaded 2007 BMW X5 4.8. back then, it was my dream car. Now, it is a nightmare. From the beginning, we have experienced different minor issues with the car (dvd player not working, for example) that the dealership fixed. However, once we started having problems with the car not starting, that was no longer a "minor" issue. The first time the car did not start was around thanksgiving in 2008, only a little more than a year after I had purchase my car. By the summer of 2009, the problem got worse and half the time the car would not start. We finally took the car in (Nov 2009) and the dealership told us the battery was death, and they replaced the battery at no charge (warranty). Everything was fine until March 26, 2011, when I was ready to leave and my car did not start. At this point, I was so frustrated that I immediately called the dealership and told them I did not want a car that doesn't work parked in my garage, so I was going to drop it off. It was a Saturday, so I did not hear back from the dealership until the following Monday, only to tell me that the battery was very low and needed to be replaced again. They also told me that it was because of my driving habits, because most of my trips are very short (less than 5 mi) trips. I asked them if I needed to change my driving habits in order for my car to work, and they said "hmm, yeah". really"?" to top it off, since the problem was caused due to my "driving habits", I needed to pay for the replacement of the battery. I believe the design of the of the electrical system has problems. No car, especially no high end car, should not work because "it is not driven enough". did BMW engineers finished the design and said, it is done, but it will only work if you drive it enough!. BMW needs to fix this problem and stop blaming the car owners for their poor design.

- Gilroy, CA, USA

Sep 102010

X5 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 BMW X5. The contact stated during rainy weather, water leaked into the satellite radio receiver module and caused severe damage. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis where they informed the cotnact that the satellite module would need to be replaced. The part was not in stock and the vehicle would be repaired when the part became available. The manufacturer was made aware of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 45,000. Updated 07/06/11 updated 3/15/12

- Tallabega , AL, USA

Jun 112010

X5

In May 2007, I purchased a new BMW 2007 X5 4.8 vehicle. Since then, I have experienced "high battery drainage" warnings at least 12 times. The dealership says the computer doesn't show a history of this message and it does not find a problem with the battery. The car engine also fails to start after repeated attempts- the lights, radio and air turn on, but the engine does not. After several hours, the engine starts. This has occurred at least 12 times since 11/2007 as well- but independently of the "high battery drainage" warning. The dealership fails to find a problem with the engine starting when I take the car in. In addition, the engine (automatic transmission) stays locked in one gear and the engine revs up while driving, failing to automatically shift to the next gear unless the driver releases the gas pedal or pushes the gas peddle to "throw it" into the next gear. It would also lurch on inclines, but stopped experiencing this problem (perhaps coincidentally) when I removed my cellphone from the car's bluetooth/hands-free system. The dealership again said that it could not detect any problems. BMW usa is no help either, since they rely on the dealerships to report issues to them. If the local dealers aren't reporting the issues that owners experience simply because they can't find an answer, then nothing can be done to ensure the safety of the owners and their passengers driving their vehicles. I believe a problem exists with the electronic system and perhaps something else. I have seen complaints by other 2007 X5 owners for the same issues on websites such as edmunds.com and owners locally where I live. Please assist us, because it's become clear that we have exhausted our recourse with the BMW dealerships. Below is the date of the most recent incident.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Mar 172009

X5

I purchased a new 2007 BMW X5 in December 2006. During the time I have owned the car I have had it in for service problems 18 times. Six of those times is for "high battery drain". the consequence is a car that might not always start. After three unsuccessful attempts to fix the battery drain problem they replaced the battery on the fourth attempt. Since the battery has been replaced I have had the car in two more times with the same battery drain problem. The dealership is now telling me I have battery problems because I do not drive the car enough. BMW recommends you drive the car at least 7,500 miles per year for proper battery operation. I have driven my car 12,000 a year, exceeding what they recommend. I have also had this vehicle in four times to fix a dmtl pump problem. BMW North America suggested that the battery drain has also caused the dmtl pump not to operate properly. The dealership said the dmtl pump problem was a result of a loose connection, then a gas cap leak, then the vent valve sticking open and lastly said on the fourth attempt to fix it that the dmtl pump just does not work properly and replaced it. What is it"?" I do not receive the same answers from BMW North America versus the dealership. I also investigated a web forum pertaining to this issue and found dozens of other BMW owners with the same "high battery drain" problem. The battery drain problem is not because "you do not put enough miles on your car" as BMW claims. It is a manufacturers defect and needs to be investigated.

- Carmel, IN, USA