3.2

2010 BMW X5 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 BMW X5:

2010 BMW X5 Owner Comments

Jan 172017

X5

Both airbags have been on the recall for over a year....are they not required to be in the vehicle, but working correctly? to wait for a recall over a year on something so important is very wrong! in addition there is another recall (Oct 2016) on a fuel pump "could leak fuel during refueling or cornering" ive set up a service appointment Jan 20, 2017 and I'm told neither recall items will be addressed or repaired because parts. I'm also not offered a solution outside of "carefully move away from traffic" anyone driving the car, near the car or at the refueling location is at risk...how many of these vehicles are out there? more has to be done!! BMW should repair these asap or have them taken off the road. A year is unacceptable

- Southlake, TX, USA

Dec 122016

X5

A known defect of an engine compartment partition/seal caused outside water to enter the engine compartment. The water drips and accumulates over the last fuel injectors, leading to an eventual short. When the short occurs, the vehicle looses all power. The engine shuts off preventing acceleration, power steering no longer functional, power brakes no longer assisted. The short occurred while driving through an intersection. The car stalled in the middle of the intersection and needed to be towed. Fortunately, traffic was minimal and other vehicles were able to slow down and drive around my vehicle, preventing a collision.

- Fayetteville, NY, USA

Feb 052016

X5

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2010 BMW X5. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 16V071000 (air bags) and 16V746000 (fuel system, gasoline). The parts to do the repairs were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available. Parts distribution disconnect..updated 01/04/17.

- Wisconsin Dells, WI, USA

Jun 012016

X5

I had the fuel heater replaced and battery on my BMW X5-35D a couple of months ago at considerable cost. The engine was also throwing the fuel heater activation code. I have documentation of the repair. I have recently learned of recall 13V-339 that covers this part for this exact reason with a build date window mere weeks from the build date of my vehicle. The build date range on this recall is June 13, 2009- November 9, 2009. The build date for my VIN is listed as December 2009. BMW did not cover despite the proximity of the build date and the exact same problem. I can see that there are other complaints on the NHTSA.dot.gov website for this problem for vehicles with a December 2009 build dateż

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Apr 262016

X5

The fuel filter heater was recalled (recall no. 13V-339). We had to have our fuel filter heater replaced and was not covered under warranty because the recall was for vehicles produced from 6/2009 - 11/2009 and our car was produced in 12/2009. We had our fuel filter heater replaced because we had a check engine light on and when we took to dealer we were told that we needed a new fuel filter heater, therefore we feel we are intitlled to the recall.

- Ronkonkoma, NY, USA

Sep 122015

X5

The contact owns a 2010 BMW X5. While driving at various speeds, fuel was leaking under the front of the vehicle without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the timing cover cases failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 82,000.

- Moncks Corner, SC, USA

Jun 272015

X5

Passenger door got locked - unable to open. Deler had to take door out to fix. This major safety issue with very expensive repair from BMW dealer. Got engine light for diesel fuel tank sensor. BMW told me to take two month to get part from germany. Waiting for part and high repair bill. Again got engine light for other reason. I am com earn about safest of my 2010 BMW X5 diesel model and like help from NHTSA. Thanks.

- Hillsborough, NJ, USA