2010 BMW X5 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 BMW X5:

2010 BMW X5 Owner Comments

Jan 012016

While driving the vehicle on city streets I lost power steering and had to bring the vehicle to a stop. I was unable to steer the car and discovered the serpentine belt had come off. BMW had already done a recall for this and I did upon dealer inspection discover the same bolt sheared causing the problem. The original recall notice was 12V550. I'm being charged 700 hundred dollars now to have the vehicle fixed.

- Venice, CA, USA

Mar 212015

I had this problem with my 2010 BMW X5 35D breakdown. It said the charging malfunction on the screen. Power steering was lost. Wheel steer was hard to maneuver. Hard to move. I almost got in an accident. The battery died. Everything just not function bc of lost in power steering. When I towed my car to BMW manhattan, the service advisor told me there was no recall for my BMW X5 35 D. she told me the dealer would charge me about $900 to replace pulley belt bolt and battery and etc. I told her it's one of recall. After that the service advisor told me that she will call me back on that which she never did, my car was still at BMW manhattan. It's been a week in the dealer. I'm still waiting to know what happen.

- New Yirk, NY, USA

Jan 032015

While driving the engine loss power and put the car into neutral. All power steering was loss as well. Thankfully I was able to pull off the road safely. The car restarted once, then loss power when one tried to accelerate. The car would not restart. During this whole time no warning or service lights came on, the vehicle status said all systems were ok, when obviously they were not since the car just stopped working while driving.

- West Chester, OH, USA

Nov 282014

X5 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 BMW X5. The contact stated that the steering wheel seized and the power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the lower idler pulley bolt needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 12V550000 (engine and engine cooling, steering). The failure mileage was 57,000....updated 01/07/15 the consumer stated there are other posts where prior year vehicles like my 2010 BMW X5 had recalls to have the lower idler pulley replaced due to potential failure. Updated 9/28/2015

- Abingdon, MD, USA

Jul 122013

X5 6-cyl Diesel

Vehicle lost steering control. On the night of July 12 I was making a left turn and all of a sudden steering become extremely difficult to turn and extremely stiff. I tried to turn the steering with full force in my body to avoid hitting the pole and and barely missed hitting the street light pole. This incident shaked me for a while. Car was towed to the dealership and determined and found that alternator bolt from recall 11 11 12 (NHTSA campaign number: 12V550000) had snapped causing belt to come off as well as tension-er. It was very disappointing for me that a 60 grand luxury vehicle became a life threatening hazard. And even after the safety re-call, it's a big hazard.I had called customer relations of BMW about this and apparently they took it very lightly.

- Sugar Land, TX, USA

Feb 192013

X5 6-cyl Diesel

I was driving my X5, 90 minutes from home, when I noticed my steering was unusually stiff. It was 5 degrees outside, so I assumed it might have been too cold. I was able to move over to the right lane, and turn onto the nearest side street. At that point I got a code saying "battery discharge". I assumed it had something to do with the keyless ignition, so I shut it off and tried to turn it back on. It didn't work, and it gave me the same warning again. In addition, the onboard system was giving messages of each of the systems that was shutting down, ultimately, with everything shutting off, including the emergency lights. I had to have the car towed. After the dealership looked at the car the next day, they told me this was part of a recall for the idler pulley bolt. I looked this up, and discovered the letter dated Nov. 26th describing this recall from BMW to NHTSA. We started the purchasing process of this vehicle on Nov. 26th, ultimately purchasing it on Nov. 30th. The carfax did not show this recall repair when we purchased it. My dealership is claiming they repaired it that week, before we picked it up, (again, no mention of a repair). My concern is this: If it was repaired in November, this repair failed. If they ignored this recall and sold me the car, that would be negligent. Furthermore, we had the car into the dealership in January 2013 for a tire issue. If they had not done the repair in November, certainly they were responsible to repair it then. Obviously they didn't. now, the car completely fails, and is in the shop. This repair took 3 days! I am unsure of the safely, as well as this failure being just a pulley bolt. I am aware of the most recent recall of Feb.19th, for electrical problems, but at this time, doesn't include the X5? the pulley bolt problem doesn't seem to fully describe the loss of steering and power I experienced.

- Twin Lakes, WI, USA