3.4

2011 BMW X5 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 BMW X5:

2011 BMW X5 Owner Comments

Jun 162013

X5

While driving my engine suddenly shut off along with power steering and power brakes. It started again and I took it to a BMW dealer that said I needed a $325 software update. I asked if that meant my engine would shut off while driving should by software ever go out of date. They said yes, it happens but not on all software updates. They also said software update come out about every 3 to 4 months meaning my engine could be shut off again at any time. I felt I had no choice but to pay the money so my car would run again. I am concerned now about driving at any higher rate of speed considering I could lose my steering and brakes anytime someone decides I need to update software that I was never informed was out of date.

- Sunset Hills, MO, USA

Jun 132012

X5

The contact owns a 2011 BMW X5. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, exhaust fumes from the engine could be smelled while in the cabin. The contact also stated that the power assist on the brakes failed and that both failures recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was confirmed that in order to remedy the brake failure, a valve would have to be replaced. The technician was unable to replicate the exhaust failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted but offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 18,000 and the current mileage was 20,000.

- Canton, MI, USA