2011 BMW X5 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 BMW X5:

2011 BMW X5 Owner Comments

May 092015

My vehicles purchased last year from BMW local dealer {jackie cooper imports] is equipped with 8- or 12-cylinder, turbocharged engines.the circuit board for the electric auxiliary water pump overheated. This lead to a smoldering of the pump and an engine compartment. BMW was supposed to notify owners, replace the auxiliary water pump, thermostat, and coolant reservoir free of charge. The two safety recalls related to this problem apparently did not include my vehicle. Ref NHTSA compaign recall #11V521000 and NHTSA compaign recall # 12V161000. I have logged a complaint about this with the dealership, and their recall resolution department in vain. I am being charged for parts and labor which I belief should be free a snoted by the two recalls.

- Oklahoma, OK, USA

May 042015

X5 6-cyl

My wife and a toddler were driving home getting off the bridge and about to get on the on ramp to highway in nyc (bqe). All the sudden the car overheated and went into limp mode. Luckily there were no car behind her otherwise would be rear ended. She was able to pull to the right from the left lane and got onto local street to wait for it to cool down. This car had many close calls for serious or fatal accident. This car only has a little ok 40K miles. This is too early for a water pump to fail. This car is out of warranty and the cost of fix will be over $1000. The worst is my wife uses this car for work and drive the kid to school. Can bmwna be contacted and put this failure into recall. Thanks

- Rego Park, NY, USA

Jan 282015

X5 6-cyl

BMW X5 35I 2011 AWD, I was on major deegan highway exiting at 230 St when the my BMW X5 35I 2011 AWD sudden stopped and my heart when too my feet. The panel read "engine malfunction " I was in a daze not knowing what happen to the BMW X5 35I 2011 AWD and why did it stop all of sudden !!! I started again at a very slow pace less than 10 mph and trying to get out of the way of traffic on the exit on 230 street, I made it too the veterans affairs hospital at 8:30 or 9:00 am in the morning. I called aaa to tow to a shop than I was found out this BMW X5 35I 2011 AWD had a recall so I got it tow too portchester BMW where the vehicle is at now and don't when I will get back. If this is the problem with this BMW X5 35I 2011 AWD this BMW X5 35I 2011 AWD should never be on any us road at all its an accident ready to happen very dangerous, very dangerous for a BMW X5 35I 2011 AWD to have a sudden stop " engine malfunction " some one is going too die in this BMW X5 35I 2011 its too dangerous to drive and risk my life a us marine veteran. Take this BMW X5 35I 2011 off the roads of the United States before some want gets killed !!!!!!!

- Yonkers, NY, USA

Dec 312013

The contact owns a 2011 BMW X5. The contact stated that the steering wheel would sporadically become difficult to turn. Additionally, there was an electrical failure within the instrument panel. The failure was recurring. The check engine warning light was also illuminated whenever the contact reversed from his driveway. The contact also stated that the vehicle could not be shifted from park to reverse or drive. The vehicle was towed twice to an authorized dealer, who diagnosed that the idle pulley bolt needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired however, the failure recurred twice. The authorized dealer replaced the idler pulley belt a third time and the vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 30,000.

- Charlottesville, VA, USA

Jun 152012

The contact owns a 2011 BMW X5. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the tpm error light illuminated as the vehicle surged. In addition, smoke was seen coming from under the hood area. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where it was stated that the rear driver's side tire sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the problem persisted. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 18,000. The VIN was not available.

- Escondido, CA, USA

Feb 072013

X5 6-cyl

Started the car and the engine light came on with "engine malfunction - reduced power" and drove a few hundred yards and then the car completely died. The 2011 BMW X5 35I premium just died - no power whatsoever. Because there was no power, the car could not be put into neutral to be put on a flatbed. The X5 had to be put on a crane and lifted onto a flatbed tow truck. Bought this vehicle in the U.S. and is U.S. spec (car was in the U.S. for 2 years) - shipped the car to germany and this is where the incident happened (car been in germany just a few months). BMW of munich said that there is a bolt that can break off - which it did - munich requested the local dealer to take the engine apart to see if that was the fault and they confirmed it was. BMW is replacing our engine because of this fault. However, the recall as of now is only for the X5 diesels. The recall should be expanded. Had we been on the autobahn where there aren't many speed limit areas, this could have resulted in a fatal crash if someone going 100+mph rammed behind us from our car dying of catastrophic failure. At 16,000 miles the vehicle should not need a new engine.

- Falls Church, VA, USA