2011 BMW X5 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 BMW X5:

2011 BMW X5 Owner Comments

Jun 022015

Severe acceleration delay from a stop pulling out into traffic nearly caused me to be broadsided. During the first 1/2 to 1 second after depressing the accelerator there is little to no reaction from the vehicle. After this pause, which is well beyond what could cause an accident, the vehicle surges uncontrollably. I found myself sideways on a wet paved road. My natural inclination after the pause was to press for more gas, any other reaction would have left me sitting in the middle of oncoming traffic. This complaint is well documented when researching BMW acceleration lag or throttle tip in on the internet. It is incredible that BMW would be able to allow such unsafe programing of their vehicles. This is sure to have caused accidents. I was lucky, others may not be.

- Norwalk, CT, USA

Mar 122014

X5 6-cyl

In March of this year my X5 had the increased engine noise, check engine light coming on, and stalled on I-80 in omaha. I got the car pulled over and started again. I then had husker auto of Lincoln ne (BMW shop) look at it. This has not happened again to date. In June I get a letter from BMW about the safety recall of vanos assembly bolts. The description of the problem fit my situation back in March. I took the letter to husker auto but they said I had to wait for another letter from BMW. I have approached husker auto twice more since June, with same story from them. My question to you, is there anything your administration can do about BMW not acting timely on the X5 recall issue?

- Omaha, NE, USA

Feb 122014

X5 6-cyl

My 2011 X5 35I has an acceleration delay. BMW has recognized it as an issue in the 535I models, calling it an "acceleration delay" and have issued an sib software update to repair it, but have not done so for the X5 model. I feel this issue is dangerous and a safety issue.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 142011

X5 6-cyl

2012 BMW X5. Upon engine start up when cold, the engine surges excessively. If the transmission is engaged during the surging (fluctuating RPM) the vehicle lurches forward/reverse causing a dangerous situation and potential accident.

- Charlotte, NC, USA