2011 BMW X5 seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 BMW X5:

2011 BMW X5 Owner Comments

Jan 022017

X5

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2011 BMW X5. The contact stated that the recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 16V071000 (air bags) was received in February of 2016. After contacting the dealer and the manufacturer on multiple occasions, the contact was informed that the parts needed for the recall remedy were still not available and no estimated time for receiving the parts could be provided. The contact had not experienced a failure. The VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 032017

X5

I am hearing a buzzing sound from the center of my steering wheel when I park my X5 and the sound seems to continue after I shut down the engine. My X5 has an airbag recall outstanding for almost a full year, but my dealer has offered neither replacement nor any explanation for the delay. The buzzing sound is new, and is intermittent in nature. My family is afraid to be in the car.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

X5

Takata recall - I received the first recall letter 11 months ago for the driver side airbag and the 2nd recall for the passenger side in may of 2016. I am still being told there is no resolution as of yet.this problem has gone on way to long and my safety is at risk. I am unable to sell the car due to this open recall and need resolution asap.

- Milton, GA, USA

X5

Takata recall - it's been a year and still BMW says it does not have parts to fix the problem.

- Hingham, MA, USA

Mar 142016

X5

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2011 BMW X5. The contact received notification for NHTSA campaign number: 16V364000 (air bags). The dealer indicated that they replaced the parts with the same part as an interim repair for NHTSA campaign number: 16V071000 (air bags). The contact expected the manufacturer to supply the replacement parts for the recall to the dealer. The contact was uncertain as to when the manufacturer would supply the replacement parts for the recall and the parts for the passenger side air bag recall. The manufacturer was contacted to determine when the remedy replacement parts would be supplied for both recall repairs. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- San Diego, CA, USA

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Oct 152015

X5

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2011 BMW X5. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 16V071000 (air bags), 16V3110090 (power train), 16V364000 (air bags) and 16V746000 (air bags, fuel/propulsion). However, the parts to do the repairs were not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- New Braunfels, TX, USA

X5

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2011 BMW X5. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 16V071000 (air bags) and 16V364000 (air bags); however, the parts to do the recall repairs were not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Spring, TX, USA

Jul 162016

X5

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2011 BMW X5. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V364000 (air bags) and stated that the part was not available within a reasonable time frame to schedule the recall repair. The dealer did not give a specific date for when the part would become available. The contact was unable to determine when the vehicle would be repaired. The manufacturer could not provide an estimated date for when the contact's vehicle would receive the recall repair. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Round Top, TX, USA

Jun 062016

X5 6-cyl

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2011 BMW X5. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 16V071000 and 16V364000 (air bags). The parts needed for the repair were not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect and VIN tool confirms parts not available. Updated 01/10/2017

- Santa Clarita, CA, USA

Jul 082016

X5 Diesel

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2011 BMW X5. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V340000 (air bags); however, the parts to do the repair were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The VIN was not available. The contact had not experienced a failure. Updated 01/11/2017

- Myrtle Beach, SC, USA

Aug 052011

X5

Takata recall this defective item remains unfixed. My family is subject to "serious injury or death" because there is not significant pressure for the issue to be resolved. Calls to BMW have not helped, they remain content to say that the parts are not available. The offer no help, such as Honda may be doing. Takata appears to be under no pressure to resolve. It appears they have no trouble making airbags for new cars but not for this recall. Please increase the pressure, impose fines, etc, to get their attention.

- Cornelius, NC, USA

Aug 052016

X5

I received the original recall notice in March 2016 for my drivers front air bag, received another one July 2016 for passenger front air bag. Wondering how many other one's I will receive. Nothing has been repaired. All I hear is by summer, then by mid summer now, they don't know. But they suggest I warn anyone driving my car they could get killed if in an accident. I consider that I am driving a $85000 death trap. Since there is such danger should not someone have to provide me with a loaner car or rental at their expense!. because I am telling you if I or someone should become injured or dead the lawsuit will be big. Isn't there some timeframe that BMW has to comply in.?? I was informed today by BMW that they do not have any timeframe "maybe" by end of month, haha been hearing that since March "maybe" "maybe" "maybe".

- Marysville, CA, USA

X5

Driver side airbag recall in February and we still have not received the part. 6 months is unacceptable when it comes to the safety of myself and my family.

- Fort Mill, SC, USA

Mar 012016

X5 6-cyl

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2011 BMW X5. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 16V364000 (air bags) and 16V071000 (air bags); however, the parts to do the repairs were unavailable. The manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available. Updated 09/08/16 updated 09/28/16.

- Ponte Vedra Beach, FL, USA

Mar 012016

X5

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2011 BMW X5. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 16V071000 (air bags) and 16V364000 (air bags); however, the parts to do the repair were unavailable. The manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jul 312016

X5

The contact owns a 2011 BMW X5. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 16V071000 (air bags) and 16V364000 (air bags); however, the parts to do the repair were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Goldsboro, NC, USA

Mar 142016

X5

I received notice of the driver's side airbag recall in March of 2016, and just learned that the passenger's side airbag was recalled in may of 2016. All efforts to learn status of parts availability have gone unrespondeded to. I bought this car as a result of the representations which were made to me by BMW and their agents regarding the car's safety and reliability. Knowing that there is not a date in sight to perform the repairs necessary to correct this unreasonably dangerous condition, I have attempted to trade my vehicle in and purchase a replacement vehicle. Two dealers have informed me that they cannot accept the trade-in because of the recalls. This is totally unacceptable. I am stuck with a vehicle which has been deemed to be unreasonably dangerous for the foreseeable future. The economic consequences of this defect should fall on the manufacturer and not the consumer.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Feb 062016

X5

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2011 BMW X5. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 16V071000 (air bags) and 16V364000 (air bags); however, the parts to do the repairs were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Round Top, TX, USA

Nov 052014

X5 6-cyl

I was recently in an accident. I rear ended someone and the air bag did not deploy until after the accident occurred. I have chest and rib pain. Even deployed the air bag was not fully inflated.

- Scotch Plains, NJ, USA