7.3

2012 BMW X5 miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 BMW X5:

2012 BMW X5 Owner Comments

Nov 082015

X5

Engine malfunction, reduced power, error mesage this morning. Just had to have egr replaced 5 days ago (@52,000 miles) at the tune of $1005....now my car will only go 35 mph. Car started making a "whistling sound" on 11/07 during acceleration....then today, it started "rattling" them engine malfunction message came on and power went away!

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jan 062014

X5 6-cyl Diesel

I pulled into a gas station, and as I approached the pump and put on brakes, I heard a crack. After I pumped my gas, I started my car, and a battery light came on along with an indication that there was a "charging error". I attempted to drive off, but I could not turn my steering wheel left or right. My husband looked on the hood, and noted that a belt was hanging down and fluid was spewed everywhere. My car was towed to the dealer for repair. My invoice indicates that the alternator tensioner bolt was broken that connected the alternator belt to the engine (?) and had to be repaired. This is troubling because this bolt was a replacement bolt. That is, when I had my vehicle serviced in December 2012, I was informed that there was a recall on an aluminum bolt, and my invoice from that service visit indicates that the "alternator pulley bolt" was replaced. I am troubled because the replacement bolt was supposed to address the recall issue, but the replacement bolt broke in the exact manner that the recall was supposed to prevent. I am a bit troubled that a replacement bolt, which was replaced as a result of a recall, malfunctioned. This appears to be a safety issue that wasn't addressed properly by BMW the first time.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Oct 232011

X5

I leased my 2012 BMW X5 35I in May 2011. I was driving on the interstate with 2 toddlers at around 65 mph, when the car suddenly lost power and the message displayed "engine malfunction, reduced power". I pulled over on the shoulder, and tried to re-start the car, but it won't start. When it did start after multiple attempts, the car shook vigorously and then turned off. I initiated the sos call via the BMW assist feature in the car. For some reason, the call failed multiple times, and the data could not be transferred. When the call did go through, the car could not send my exact coordinates to the reps to help me get a tow truck. After trying for about 30 min to get help from the BMW assist, I tried to restart the car, which started normally as if nothing ever happened. The in-built diagnosis said "all systems ok". I got on the interstate, and as I reached around 60 mph, the engine stalled again with the same message "engine malfunction...". for the next 1.5 hours, I tried to call the BMW assist over my phone to get help. The said the tow truck should come in the next hour. For about 2 hours, the 2 toddlers and 3 adults were sitting by the interstate. When the tow truck did not show up, I called the BMW assist reps again, to be told that the truck shall take another 45 minutes to reach us. I then called my friend to take everybody home, and I stayed with the car. I then tried to drive at about 40 mph and take the car to the dealer, only to be pulled over by the highway patrol. He said I was violating the law by driving at 40 mph in a 70 mph zone. I then called my insurance company to get a tow truck, which arrived in 30 min. The next day my wife took the car to the dealer, and the report sheet they provided said that the high pressure pump was faulty, and that they have replaced it. I am yet to take my car on the interstate to check the performance at 65 mph.

- Fairfax, VA, USA