2012 BMW X5 seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 BMW X5:

2012 BMW X5 Owner Comments

Mar 012016

X5

Notified of recall campaign no. 16V-071 on March 2016. As of November 2016 repair has not been performed after many requests. Dealer says parts are not available. What recourse/alternative do I have to make dealer/manufacturer comply?

- Columbia, MD, USA

Mar 232016

X5

The contact owns a 2012 BMW X5. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 16V071000 (air bags). The contact stated that the parts needed for the recall remedy were still not available and that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Cerritos, CA, USA

Feb 052016

X5

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2012 BMW X5. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V071000 (air bags). The part to do the repair was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Matterson, IL, USA

Aug 262012

X5

Takata recall I was notified that the airbag should be replaced in early February, but no action has yet been taken, as of 26 August.

- Merrimack, NH, USA

Jan 012016

X5 6-cyl

"takata air bag recall" we were advised of this problem over 1 year ago by our BMW service advisor and we applied for a new replacement at that time. We live in clearwater Florida and the car is parked outside in the sun all the time. I have a young child that is routinely a rider in this car and we feel that the bag should be replaced or disconnected until a replacement bag can be installed. I have called my dealer on numerous occasions and have also contacted BMW corporate only to be told they have no idea when it will be fixed! the risk of injury or death to me or my family is unacceptable. Please help us as consumers to force the manufacturer to fix this problem in the affected cars, even if you must limit those that they can sell for new vehicles! thank you.

- Clearwater, FL, USA

Jul 192016

- Portola Valley, CA, USA

Mar 282016

X5

Air bag recall, still waiting for the fix after 4 months- no car rental or solution offered while waiting for fix.

- Igo, CA, USA

Mar 072016

X5

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2012 BMW X5. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V071000 (air bags). The dealer was unable to supply the parts and schedule the recall repair appointment. The manufacturer and the dealer indicated that there was an interim repair until the permanent repair solution became available. The manufacturer was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- East Chester, NY, USA

Jul 062016

X5

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2012 BMW X5. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V071000 (air bags); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Jun 292016

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Jun 172015

X5

I was hit by a car turning left in front of me. Left front side and door hit. Wheel knocked at angle under car. Steering wheel airbag burned my right hand when it deployed.

- Austin, TX, USA

Sep 162013

X5 6-cyl

I was rear ended on the interstate and pushed into a truck in front of me, but my airbags did not deploy. I struck my head on the steering wheel. There is significant damage to the front end of the car and the rear end is also damaged. The air bags in the car that hit me deployed; and the truck I hit had air bags deployed. Just wondering if there are other reports of problems with BMW air bags not deploying ?

- Harvey, LA, USA