4.5

2009 BMW X6 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 BMW X6:

2009 BMW X6 Owner Comments

Oct 052014

X6 6-cyl

Was going to lunch approx. 3-4 miles from my home as I pulled into the parking lot, the computer gave a panic warning to immediately turn off the engine as it was overheating and can cause damage. I turned off the motor and was confused as that was the only warning and it appeared that nothing was wrong. I got out of the car and opened the hood. As I was doing so the expansion tank exploded and the hot water shot past me and just caught my right shoulder. Needless to say if this caught me dead on I would have been burned badly. I called the dealer and was told that there was no recall on my vehicle. The dealer also told me to call another dealer as they may have better information. I had the expansion tank replaced and they replaced the coolant. There seems to be a air pocket in the engine and the coolant needs to be topped off after running the engine. If no recall, why not?

- Deerfield Beach, FL, USA