2.7

2011 BMW X6 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 BMW X6:

2011 BMW X6 Owner Comments

Jul 302016

X6

About safety campaign #16V-311, at the beginning of 2015, my 2011 BMW X6 with only 45000 miles started to vibrate when I turned the wheels, I took it to the dealer and they never found any issues, I have received a notice of warranty extension on the drive shaft and recently a recall to replace it, the car keeps getting worse even after a new drive shaft, I have email bmwusa but no response, I only drive the car when is necessary because I'm almost sure something is going to break and might cause and accident, the car vibrates and makes mechanical noises mostly when I'm turning the wheels and press on the gas.

- Methuen, MA, USA

Oct 022015

X6

On 10/02/2015, I was driving my kids to school. Suddenly, there's this loud explosion noise coming from the engine compartment. At the time of the incident, the vehicle was in motion on a city street. The road was very smooth, the vehicle did not collide with any potholes or any road objects. I pull over to the side of the road, did a quick inspection, didn't see anything. So I got back onto the car and continue driving. During accelerations and going above 40mph on the freeway, the vehicle started to vibrate and I started to lose control but managed to slow down and pull to the side of the freeway. After doing research and asked several mechanics, it turns out that the front drive shaft of the vehicle is going bad, and this is a very common problem with the BMW X6. I was advised to have the front drive shaft replaced as soon as possible or else if the drive shaft happens to break on the freeway, it could cause a major accident which me and my kids could have been killed. Additionally, at 54K miles, the vehicle's valve stem seals has already gone bad, (they usually don't go bad until 120K miles) the engine oil is leaking towards combustion chamber and burn off through the catalytic converter. The vehicle is emitting an extremely toxic, sulfuric smell from the exhaust, you can smell it from far away while the vehicle is started. I had several neighbors complained about the smell. Not only that this is bad for our health due to the cancer-causing carcinogen it is also bad for the environment. BMW has long acknowledged the problem and issued a "customer care package" which they refused to call it a recall. In fact, they replaced many different components on my vehicle, but the customer care package did not fix the toxic, sulfuric smell from the exhaust. This is extremely unacceptable that that falsely advertise and sold us an unsafe vehicle for nearly $85,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 022015

X6 8-cyl

Broken front drive shaft; common problem with X5 from the same era which was recalled.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Aug 162014

X6

My BMW X6 5.0I sport almost started on fire, I been having a lot of problems with my car just yesterday my water pump went bad and I only have 48,000 mile on my car, since I bought the car last year the water pump been making noises!! its sad that I could of lost my life or did more damage to my car because its heating up and its not fear to me or to anyone else that owns this car!! I will contact BMW North America and tell them the problem.. please research the problem before something happens.

- Chesterfield, MI, USA

Jul 012014

X6

The contact owns a 2011 BMW X6. The contact stated while driving approximately 60 mph, there was a loud explosion and the vehicle stalled with some warning lights illuminated on instrument panel. The vehicle was merged to the side of the road. The vehicle was towed to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the engine, drive shaft and transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 55,000.

- Lafayette , LA, USA