2001 BMW Z3 seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 BMW Z3:

2001 BMW Z3 Owner Comments

Aug 202008

I own a 2001 BMW Z3 3.0I roadster that spontaneously deployed its driver's side door airbag when I shut off the ignition in the driveway, resulting in a large bruise and burn on my left arm. The airbag warning light had come on a few days earlier, but the owner's manual did not indicate any hazard of spontaneous deployment, and I had not yet gotten the car in to the dealer for diagnosis. The car has not been modified in any way and is otherwise in excellent condition. The car remains in my driveway and has not been driven, examined, diagnosed, or repaired since the malfunction. I have called BMW customer relations regarding the matter. They seemed rather unconcerned. I told them it is not my intention to sue, and likewise I will not let them cover up this problem. Rather, I want their engineers to test-bench my car to pinpoint the source of the malfunction and to issue a recall if appropriate. I further expect them to fix the problem, replacing all suspect parts, at no cost to me. They said they will pass along my concerns to their corporate office in New Jersey and that I will receive a call by next Tuesday. I'm not impressed with their level of concern.

- Seaford, VA, USA

Jan 292004

Vehicle drove over a large chunk of concrete while driving about 25 mph when the side air bag on passenger's side deployed.

- Little Rock, AR, USA