7.3

$1,800.00

2. replaced top motor (1 reports)
2003 BMW Z4 body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 BMW Z4:

2003 BMW Z4 Owner Comments

Nov 012013

Z4 2.5L

I'd like to add my complaint on this issue. I noticed that my convertible top was going down really slow so I stopped it halfway (didn't want it to be stuck open). i tried it again a few days later and it was completely dead.

What is the point of having a convertible that won't fold open?

It seems that this problem with the convertible top motor is a well known issue. I can't believe BMW won't step up to fix this problem. It makes me not want to buy another BMW again. These German engineers aren't all they're cracked up to be.

- , Fairfax, VA, USA

Mar 122010

Z4

I have had the hydraulic system repaired for the convertible every years since I bought the car- twice under warranty and one with my own money, and the 4th time i gave up and just keep the top up. Big pain in the ass to have a convertible that one cannot use

- , Hickory, NC, USA

Oct 132009

Z4 2.5I

Top started opening and closing slowly over a period of about 2 weeks. The convertible top motor had conked out 2 years earlier and had to be replaced. It is a known issue due to inadequate drainage of its compartment with resultant corrosion. At that time covered under warranty, but this time the warranty had expired 8 months ago. I complained to the the dealer that if it was the same problem only 2 years later this would be somewhat ridiculous. Erhardt BMW called BMWNA and they covered all but 200 of the 1500 repair. They said they used extra insulation around the new motor, but i am not very confident in this fix. I plan on selling/trading this car before it happens again.

- , Troy, MI, USA