7.1

2005 BMW Z4 seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 BMW Z4:

2005 BMW Z4 Owner Comments

Jan 012011

Z4

First the check engine light on, I went to houston momentum BMW dealer to check and they found out that there was a faulty signal from somewhere they were not sure about. They gave me an estimate for than a thousand dollars to find it and repair it. It would cost more if they found out the real problem. I told them this should be under BMW warranty, but they said it wasn't. I refused the work. This case happened few years ago. Now I have air bag light on, I don't know why. I don't dare to go back to dealer to check because I'm afraid they will rip me off again and again. I hope one day I can get rid of BMW and find a more reliable car to drive.

- Missouri City, TX, USA

Feb 062014

Z4 6-cyl

2005 BMW Z4 roadster. Consumer writes in regards to air bag system issues. The consumer stated he recently drove the vehicle, and noticed the air bag light was on. The dealer informed him, BMW had extended the warranty period to 10 years. The consumer assumed, the air bag issue would be covered under the extended warranty. However, he received a call from the dealer, stating they found the problem in the air bag system, which was a wire, but it was not covered under the extended warranty. The dealer stated the cost to replace the wire was $ $1,056.82, plus a charge of $ $141.88 just to find the problem.

- Arcadia, CA, USA

Aug 072007

Z4

On August 7, 2007 I took my car to sterling BMW in newport beach, ca because I noticed the airbag malfunction lights were on along with other electrical issues. After they had inspected my vehicle for three days I was informed that the airbag/electrical problem would not be covered by the BMW factory warranty, and the service department recommended that I file a claim with my insurance carrier. Obviously my insurance company denied the claim, because automobile insurance does not cover loss due to wear and tear, mechanical or electrical breakdown/failure. In addition, sterling BMW charged me $260 for the loaner car they provided for the three days while my car was being inspected. Sterling BMW gave me a verbal estimate of approximately $10,000 in additional work needed to repair all the electrical/airbag issues. When I took the car to irvine BMW for another estimate, they advised me that they could take care of the problem, however after three days I was again informed that they the airbag/electrical problem would not be covered under the warranty. I moved to California about one year ago and purchased this vehicle on from excalibur imports in studio city, ca on March 28, 2006. Although my previous vehicle was a Mercedes Benz, I decided to purchase a BMW and benefit from the extraordinary customer service of BMW. This is, in fact, my first experience with BMW. I have always taken excellent care of my car; it has always been garaged, and maintained by BMW dealers. I have always use premium gas to ensure quality of performance and maintenance. To my regret, I have been driving this car for over a year without airbag protection. The nature of my job requires me to commute over 100 miles per day on the freeway. Please be advised that my family and I are extremely worried about the risks that I am taking because of BMW's failure to properly maintain my vehicle. I am a single mother of three and find I am now afraid of driving because of the consequences of an acid.

- Newport Coast, CA, USA