6.3

1. replace intake gasket (5 reports)
  2. 4 oz can of " barleaks" been okay for last 39,000 miles (1 reports)
2002 Buick Century cooling system problems

cooling system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Buick Century:

2002 Buick Century Owner Comments

Nov 122012

Century

I took the car in because it started running hot when I was mostly idling. I also started to smelling antifreeze. The temperature gauge hasn't been centered for some months now. I took the car to the shop requesting to have the thermostat replaced and was told by my mechanic that the intake gasket had a leak in it. So it will now cost me 600.00 to have it replaced with a more reliable one.

- , Columbia, SC, USA

Oct 152008

Century Limited V6

Seems stupid for Buick to install a Polymer head gasket instead of a metal one.

- , Rosedale, MD, USA

Nov 032010

Century 3.1Liter V6

Heater did not work. The bad news: it was going to cost about $1,000 to repair as there was fluid leaking - - engine in bad trouble, etc. This was a big surprise to have this happen to a Buick with only 72,000 miles, 8 years old and all service/maintenance work performed at dealers. Most unhappy with GM auto.

- , Glen Ellyn, IL, USA

Nov 282008

Century Custom 3.1L V6

I have had a low coolant light coming on intermittently for quite awhile now so I took my car in to have it diagnosed. After a flush of the cooling system and replacing the coolant sensor I was still having the same problem. I took it back and they looked it over again, this time discovering an external leaking intake manifold gasket. I complained about their failure to find the problem the first time and the money I had already paid to fix the problem. They credited me back $161.00 for the sensor and reduced the cost of replacing the gasket from $770.00 to $625.95. The whole ordeal has been a real pain since my car was in the shop for two days the first time and will be in another two days when I finally take them up on the offer to do the gasket at the reduced price.

- , Eugene, OR, USA

Mar 042008

Century Limited

Low coolant light came on then I noticed coolant on the garage floor. I checked the engine and noticed coolant coming from the rear at the intake manifold gasket. A mechanic quoted me $900 to fix it today. I'll probably do it myself for that much. It wasn't his fist one he worked on as apparently the newer Century's have a engine design flaw that requires replacement of the intake manifold gasket. GM won't take any responsibility for it though, I checked with the local dealership and their service department and the guy admitted they have seen a large number of Century's with this problem. Watch out for this.

I've also had trouble with the power windows not working, very unusual since my car is 25 years old and the power windows work fine.

- , Seattle, WA, USA

Jan 102008

Century

I bought this Buick with 40,000 miles on it and have experienced problem after problem. I only bought it because I was in desperate need of a car and it was fully loaded and clean. The most annoying problem I had, was with the intake gasket in the cooling system. I was quoted $800-$1000 to fix it, but a mechanic friend of mine did it for $350!! Several other major mechanics told me I needed a whole new radiator, just to get money from me....My odometer light is also out, costs $500 to repair, my dash lights all get stuck on so I need to check everything on a regular basis-i got new tires and the LOW TIRE light is on, LOW OIL, CHANGE OIL SOON and LOW COOLANT lights are all on!! I would just get a new car but we are getting our first mortgage this year and need to wait!! Just wanted to share my experience with this crappy car, will NEVER buy another Buick or GM car again!!!!!!!

- , Canal Winchester, OHio, USA