2003 Buick Century lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Buick Century:

2003 Buick Century Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Mar 052013

The contact owns a 2003 Buick Century. While driving various speeds, the plastic headlight covers caused a haze over the headlights, which prevented them from illuminating correctly at night. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the contact was informed by the technician to clean or replace the plastic headlight covers. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 185,000. The VIN was not available.

- Stone Mountain, GA, USA

Mar 232005

Purchased on 2004, used, the 2003 vehicle has consistently had the head lamps go out when in highbeams are activated. The dealer said this is a short and said it would cost me to fix them and this happens to many of these vehicles. Major safety issue when you are driving at night and the lights go out. Clicking the low beams on turn the lights back on. Since this seems to be a known issue, why is there. To a recall on this? this happens while the vehicle is in motion at all speeds. (only in the dark, since this is when the high bea, S are used!)

- Papillion, NE, USA

Apr 132016

When driving at night head lights just shut off briefly. It seems to do this on dims or brights. I see a lot of similar complaints and I don't see any recalls. They come back on, but I can't seem to determine if they come back on from messing with the switch or if they just come back on by themselves. I'm not sure if the taillights go out as well but if they do that's a hazard for those coming up behind on highway at 65 mph. This is clearly a safety hazard that needs to be addressed!

- Alamosa, CO, USA

Mar 032016

The contact owns a 2003 Buick Century. While driving 55 mph, the low beam head lamps were activated, but failed to illuminate. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 94,000.

- China Grove, NC, USA

Jan 222016

When driving at night all lights go out, interior and driving lights, resuming when clicking bright light switch. Driving at 65 mph.

- Peculiar, MO, USA

Dec 042011

The contact owns a 2003 Buick Century. While driving 55 mph, the headlights failed to illuminate. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who suggested that replacing the demo switch from the column may remedy the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact also stated that the turn signal failed to signal. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 152,000.

- Guin, AL, USA

Oct 272013

The contact owns a 2003 Buick Century. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the headlights suddenly failed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Willow River , MN, USA

Aug 132012

Century 8-cyl

When using turn signals car dies, all the dash lights flash and click. If I pull over and put the car in park it restarts and drives fine until I try the turn signal again then the same thing happens. I also had to disconnect the emergency brake sensor or else the same thing happens. Flashing, clicking and car dies. Now, whenever car is in gear, constant dinging and it will drive fine but I cannot use the turn signals.

- Portland, OR, USA

Jul 262014

Century 6-cyl

Pulled out of gas station to enter street and noticed headlights were not on. Pulled out the head light switch and nothing happened. I pulled back on the bright light switch and the lights came on. Mechanic had told me to try this since this same thing has happened before. Last year, I took the car to the Buick dealer for something else, but I brought up having a diagnostics run to see if it would show anything about the light problem. They told me that it wouldn't show up. Now I am afraid to drive this car at night. I have read many letters on the internet regarding this problem. GM should fix this problem. It would cost about $700 to get the switch replaced at the dealer. Does someone have to die if the lights go out while driving?

- Lemoore, CA, USA

Jun 012010

Century 6-cyl

All lights (ext and control panel) will suddenly go out. If I quickly flick the light control lever they come back on. This is an intermittant problem but quite un nerving! I have seen no recall or service bulliten.

- Bismarck, ND, USA

Dec 052012

The contact owns a 2003 Buick Century. The contact stated that while parked, both headlights shut off. The contact powered off and restarted the vehicle however, the headlights still did not illuminate. The contact also stated that the low beam lights had to be used when driving at night and the failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who advised the contact that the switch in the steering column may have needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and advised that the vehicle was not included in any recalls. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000 and the current mileage was 75,300. The VIN was unavailable.

- Johnstown, NY, USA

Dec 102012

The contact owns a 2003 Buick Century. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the headlight dimmer switch failed and the headlights became inoperative. Neither the dealer nor the manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 54,000.

- Pagosa Springs, CO, USA

Feb 152011

While driving at night my headlights stopped working and then turned back on, this morning as I left for work the headlights did not come on at all, the brights only worked if I held the bar back as it would not stay on by clicking it. After reading all of the problems with this there needs to be a recall on this serious problem. What can be done to make sure this gets taken care of?

- Hesperia, MI, USA

Dec 012010

Century 6-cyl

While driving at night, my headlights just go out! this has happened often in the last month and a half. I commute an hour to work and it happens at least once a day. It does not matter if they are on manually or automatically, it does not matter if they are on low or high beam. I discovered that the lights come back on if I hit the dimmer switch. This is a dangerous situation and I believe that it is worthy of investigation and a recall being issued. I have seen many complaints online about this situation. What will it take for a recall" will it take someone getting killed in a head on crash"

- Sully, IA, USA

Jan 062011

Third incident where 2003 Buick Century headlights (low beam) turned off while driving at night; no controls or buttons touched. First incident at 155,000 miles, second incident at 160,000, and now third incident at 162,500 miles. Situation lasts 10 seconds and then headlights return. Turning dimmer switch makes no difference and nor does high beam control. No diagnostic code appears. Extremely dangerous situation and no recall or technical bulletin issued.

- Lake Carmel, NY, USA

Dec 252010

Century 6-cyl

03 Buick Century headlamps go out while driving seems to be occurring with high beams 'still early in diag have not repaired yet { great christmas gift }.

- West Harrison, IN, USA

Apr 012007

When I switch to high beams my headlights go out completely. They only go back on when I switch back to dims. This is a common problem and I don't understand why you haven't owned up to it and had a recall.

- Wonder Lake, IL, USA

Dec 312007

Century 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Buick Century. The contact was driving various speeds with the headlights in activation. Suddenly, the headlights became inoperative. The contact pulled over to the side of the road with caution and after several attempts the headlights began to operate. The failure occurred intermittent. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where they informed that the headlight switch would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 67,000. Updated 2/23/11 also, the front coil springs were replaced. Updated 05/31/11

- Wiscasset , ME, USA

Oct 202010

Driving in the dark with high beams on, the headlights went out completely, had to activate low beams to get lights back on. This is happening frequently.

- Harris, MN, USA

Jun 252008

Whenever I have attempted to use my high beams, I lose all lights, which is extremely dangerous, especially since I live in a mostly unlighted rural area with many curvy roads. I haven't replaced any parts since I've heard estimates are in the $700+ range, and I cannot afford the expense...I just do not use the high beams at all for fear I'll lose all lights. I still don't feel safe that the lights won't just cut off anyway. I inherited the car in 2008 and noticed the problem right away. This problem occurs every single time I try to use the high beams. I've research the internet and realize there is plenty of documentation that many others have the same problem. This is obviously a manufacturer defect and should be a recall item before a death occurs. Trust me...if I filed a lawsuit, there is plenty of evidence that this is a manufacturer problem and that they are aware of this potentially fatal problem, especially for those who buy the vehicle used and are not aware of the problem.

- Asheville, NC, USA