NHTSA — Power Train Problems

2008 Buick Enclave (Page 3 of 5)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: Buying the first model year of any vehicle is rarely a good idea. You become a guinea pig for the automaker and they are really not nice to guinea pigs.

The 2008 Enclave has a wide enough range of problems to issue a warning. There's transmission failure under 90k miles, new power steering units costing over $1,300, and enough engine complaints to NHTSA to scare anyone away.

2008 Buick Enclave drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Buick Enclave:

2008 Buick Enclave Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Nov 042014

Enclave 6-cyl

Car was not accelerating properly at low speeds and the transmission seemed to be slipping when depressing the accelerator to accelerate at highway speeds. We took it to the dealer and they mentioned that 3-5-R clutch had failed. The car only has about 85000 miles. We feel this is a safety issue based on research that indicates there is an unusually high number of failures of this part, which can cause sudden decelerations, not enough power to accelerate, or failure of the transmission to engage when in "park" causing cars to roll. (our car had issues with acceleration.) we feel lucky we did not have a major incident. GM has not acknowledged they have a wider problem and so far has refused to cover the total cost of repair.

- Santa Clarita, CA, USA

Oct 292014

Enclave

While driving the vehicle, the vehicle started to shake and then lost the ability to move. Check engine lights came on. Vehicle engine would run but vehicle would not move. Entire transmission had to be replaced.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Aug 162014

Enclave 6-cyl

My family and I were on our way back to Wisconsin from a trip to Florida on Saturday, August 16, 2014. My husband had exited the interstate and was pulling into a parking space at a fast food restaurant. The space was on a slight incline. As he pulled into the space, the Enclave started to roll backward. I checked the position of the gearshift thinking that he had accidentally shifted into neutral but found that the vehicle was still in drive. The engine revved when he pressed the accelerator but the car continued to roll backward. The only gear the would work was park. We had the vehicle towed to the local Buick GMC Cadillac dealer. On Monday, August 18, a service technician called to let us know that the 35R wave plate had failed and the 35R housing was also damaged and that metal debris had been found throughout the unit. The repair took about two days and cost $3589.49. Thankfully we were not on the interstate when the failure occurred. Had we remained on the interstate another mile and suddenly not been able to keep the vehicle moving forward while the traffic around us moved at expressway speeds, we could have had a serious accident that resulted in terrible injury or fatality. I wrote a letter to Buick requesting reimbursement of cost of the refund and expense we incurred due to having to wait to have the vehicle repaired. I also requested that they issue a recall for the wave plate failure due to the severe danger that the failure creates. Finally, I mentioned information I found on the internet stating that this failure is common on the Enclave and its sister vehicles. They refused to reimburse me since there was no recall on the vehicle. They also said that the NHTSA, not GM, issues recalls and gave me the phone number to contact the NHTSA to file a complaint.

- Sturtevant, WI, USA

Sep 232014

Enclave 6-cyl

The timing chain in the engine of this vehicle began to slip at 85,000 miles. This caused the vehicle to drive erratically when the chain slipped. At the same time, the 3rd gear wave plate in the transmission failed causing the car to shift poorly when accelerating. When changing lanes on 9/23/14, the car would not accelerate and to avoid hitting another car I had to steer off the road and I hit a street sign (no damage).

- Lake Orion, MI, USA

Sep 292014

Enclave

The contact owns a 2008 Buick Enclave. While driving approximately 55 mph, the vehicle made a jerking motion. In addition, the transmission power off and motor losing power indicators illuminated. The failure occurred several times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 95,000.

- Guntown, MS, USA

Aug 152014

Enclave

The contact owns a 2008 Buick Enclave. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40mph, the vehicle revved up and stalled without warning. The dealer diagnosed that the transmission failed. The vehicle had been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 74,500.

- Akron , OH, USA

May 012014

Enclave

The contact owns a 2008 Buick Enclave. The contact stated while driving approximately 30 mph, the engine power reduced warning light illuminated and the engine stalled. The contact managed to merge to the emergency lane. The contact noticed that the key was hard to eject from the ignition. The vehicle restarted after multiple attempts. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician stated that there was broken solenoid inside of the transmission and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Aug 222014

Enclave 6-cyl

My car has been maintained the whole time I've had it. I've had to have replaced the motor for the electric seat, the hinge mounts for the lift gate, the dvd player, and an oil leak fixed. Now the 3/5/R wave plate has broken. What's up with the Buick Enclaves? they cost too much for all these items to break and need replacing. I could understand if the SUV was abused and not maintained. If I wanted to have my car in the shop all the time, I would have bought a clunker. Why doesn't GMC have a recall for some of these items, especially the transmission 3/5/R wave plate. It isn't safe when it goes out and you are on the road. I have grandchildren that I drive around in this SUV. We could be killed. GMC needs to wake up before someone is killed in regards to this problem.

- North Augusta, SC, USA

Jul 312014

Enclave

After 66,000 miles of easy driving, our 2008 Buick Enclave has a broken wave plate and needs a new transmission! the transmission failure caused two separate dangerous driving situations, one of which could have been fatal. The first event occurred when stopped at an intersection to make a left turn. I had two children in the back seat. When the intersection cleared, I began to make the left turn, but the engine failed to accelerate and merely coasted into the lane of on-coming traffic. The left side of the vehicle and the 7-year-old child sitting there were left exposed to the threat of impact by fast-approaching traffic. After about 2 seconds, the engine accelerated and we were able to leave the intersection moments before on-coming traffic arrived. The second event occurred two days later. Traveling 45-50 mph on a local highway, the engine slipped gears and would not shift out of first gear. The check engine light came on. We returned home at slow speed. In the driveway, we put the car in park, then in drive and reverse. It barely moved in either direction. The next day, we were able to drive it to the nearby dealership. It shifted gears on the way, but the warning light stayed on. The dealership informed us that the wave plate is broken and that the transmission must be replaced. We tried contacting GM customer service but received nothing more than a recorded message asking us to hold on the line. We held for over one hour and received no customer service. A review of many website postings reveals a widespread failure of the Enclave wave plate and transmission, that GM is fully aware of it and has taken no steps to address it or to ensure of the safety of the thousands of Enclave owners and other drivers on the road. Failing any accountability by GM, we insist that NHTSA take action on this widespread safety hazard and issue a recall.

- Reston, VA, USA

Jun 092014

Enclave 6-cyl

Transmission, power steering pump, steering gears are gone @ 116,000 miles" one owner Buick Enclave has huge problems - not one lemon - all Enclaves are lemons! where is the recall on these cars" many others have same problem and even more.

- Anderson, SC, USA

Jul 252014

Enclave 6-cyl

While on an on-ramp to an interstate, my wife was merging into fast moving traffic. As she accelerated and merged into traffic, the vehicle lost the ability to accelerate causing the engine to rev and the vehicle to lose speed. Not only was the surprise and shock of the event to include the very high revving alarming, but the vehicle was in an unsafe situation by failing to be able to maintain proper lane position in traffic. My wife managed to coast the vehicle onto the shoulder where she waited in an extremely unsafe position for help. It was found that the transmission was the cause of the issue which required expensive repairs. There was no warning prior to the malfunction and the event could have been much worse (I.e. crossing traffic, train tracks, etc...) at less than 70,000 miles, there shouldn't be spontaneous transmission problems which proved to be common with this vehicle.

- Bedford, IN, USA

Jul 032014

Enclave 6-cyl

Engine revs no movement, no reverse engine light on.

- Philadelphia, NY, USA

Jul 202014

Enclave 6-cyl

I was driving at approximately 55 mph when I felt my steering wheel go stiff and my RPM gauge dropped. I tried pulling over but had problems turning the wheel. That is when I realized my Enclave had completely shut off while I was driving. I was able to put it into neutral and hit the brakes to bring the vehicle to a stop where I then restarted it. That was 2 days ago. Today I went to start it for work and for the 3rd time in 2 months it would not start. I have already had the battery as well as the connections checked with no wrong findings. I have only had this car for 4 months! I called the dealership and they said that there is a 'service bulletin' posted in their repair shop because "many people" were experiencing the same problem but it was not a recall.

- North Judson, IN, USA

Jul 112014

Enclave

Was driving on interstate at 70 mph and as car was trying to climb a hill and transmission shifting gears, it slipped. Happened a few times while on interstate. Got to location and then went to leave again and backing up car was hesitating. Pull forward then needed to go in reverse and car hesitated like someone pressing on and off gas. Arrived back at home and took the vehicle in to transmission place (had already researched through weekend on problem and saw alot of problems with 2008 Buick Enclaves with wave plate (snap ring) going out on transmission. Just received call and my Buick is another one that has joined the rank of all those who have had this same problem. Should not have to have transmission rebuilt/replaced at this stage of vehicle life. I am one year out of my warranty, but under the mileage, however, that doesn't matter! GM needs to do a recall on these transmissions! there is definitely a problem and in light of all the recent news on GM problems, I think we have found another problem that should have been recalled and wasn't.

- Beech Grove, IN, USA

May 092014

Enclave 6-cyl

We were driving our vehicle on the highway (route 1 near stafford, va) when it felt like it was suddenly not shifting gears correctly and quickly thereafter lost power beyond 30 miles per hour. We drove into a parking lot. We called the nearest Buick dealership/repair shop (route 1 Buick in woodbridge, va) and told them of issue. They said it sounds like transmission and the wave plate is a "known Enclave problem." They said to have it towed to them and they may be able to assist us with cost as it's close to within powertrain warranty. We had it towed there to route 1 Buick. They diagnosed and found all transmission codes a wave plate code. They said it was a "known problem" and so they called Buick GM service manager. Route 1 Buick called us back to say GM would not assist us as we were outside warranty and had no previous issues with transmission (I have found several other transmission and power loss complaints I and the previous owners have made on this exact vehicle in my research into this...I have kept all records!). route 1 said that our cost would start at $3,800 with no guarantee they wouldn't find other issues needing to be addressed. The also said lucky for us, our vehicle had an open recall on side air bag issue they could fix. As we realized we must pay out-of-pocket and could not afford $3,800, we paid them the $120 for diagnosis and towed it (at our expense) to dun-rite transmission in fredericksburg, va. Dun-rite found it had a broken wave plate. They rebuilt transmission for $2,800. Unfortunately, the stabilitrak, traction control, and air bag sensors are all also going off and car has had 2 other instances of losing power when going up hills. We purchased the certified GM car Nov 2012. My car payment is $462. Per mo. Since that time we have spent an additional $6,095 on repairs and maintenance. Our average month expenses are therefore $801! help!

- Stafford, VA, USA

May 092014

• 1,039,000 miles
We were driving our Enclave on the highway (route 1 near stafford, va) when it felt like it was suddenly not shifting gears correctly and quickly thereafter lost power beyond 30 miles per hour. We drove into a parking lot. We called the nearest Buick dealership/repair shop (route 1 Buick in woodbridge, va) and told them of issue. They said it sounds like transmission and the wave plate is a "known Enclave problem." They said to have it towed to them and they may be able to assist us with cost as it's close to within powertrain warranty. We had it towed to route 1 Buick. They diagnosed and found all transmission and wave plate codes. They said it was a "known problem" and so they called Buick GM service manager. Route 1 Buick called us back to say GM would not assist us as we were outside warranty by 3,000 miles and had no previous issues with transmission (I have found several other transmission and power loss complaints I and the previous owners made on this exact vehicle in my research into this...I have kept all records!). route 1 said that our cost would start at $3,800 with no guarantee they wouldn't find other issues needing to be addressed. The said lucky for us, our vehicle had an open recall on a side air bag issue they could fix. As we realized we must pay out-of-pocket and couldn't afford $3,800, we paid them the $120 for diagnosis and towed it (at our expense) to dun-rite transmission in fredericksburg, va. Dun-rite found it had a broken wave plate. They rebuilt transmission for $2,800. Unfortunately, the stabilitrak, traction control, and air bag sensors are all also going off and car has had 2 other instances of losing power when driving since. We purchased the certified GM car Nov 2012. My car payment is $462. Per mo. Since that time we have spent an additional $6,095 on repairs and maintenance. Our average monthly expenses are therefore $801. Help us!

- Stafford, VA, USA

Jun 242014

Enclave 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Buick Enclave. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the transmission failed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed the wave plate needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 80,001. The consumer stated the power steering went out. The vehicle was almost impossible to turn. The vehicle was towed the dealer. An inspection revealed the power steering rack was leaking from both sides, and the pump seized. Also, the dealer replaced the water pump, because it was leaking. Updated 08/06/14 updated 08/11/14

- Dana Point , CA, USA

Jun 232014

Enclave

The contact owns a 2008 Buick Enclave. The contact stated that the transmission failed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician was not to diagnose a failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and no repairs were made to the vehicle. The failure and current mileage was 73,000.

- Gainesville, VA, USA

Jun 072014

Enclave 6-cyl

We lost our transmission entering onto a busy interstate! no indicator lights ever came on until it happened. We are not in the habit of beating our vehicles. We are a retired. This I feel is a defect in something. There were many cars coming behind us on the ramp. It was a 2 lane ramp that went to one lane. I got into the right lane when I noticed the problem that the car was jerking and would go intermittently. I sayed right until I could get to a pull over area. Full lines of traffic behind us were having to slow down which it looked pretty scarey when I looked in the rear view mirror. My husband and I feel that the way we drive should not make us lose a transmission. Also, when we purchased the vehicle we took it in for a steering squeek, loud, and were told nothing was wrong. It still squeeks and worse. We are having that looked at now, again! we do not trust the warning lights on this vehicle. We purchased it new.

- Galena, MO, USA

Jun 072014

Enclave

The contact owns a 2008 Buick Enclave. While turning the vehicle at approximately 15 mph, the transmission failed without warning. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic and the trouble code detected internal transmission failure. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 81,700.

- Freeport, TX, USA