NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2008 Buick Enclave (Page 1 of 3)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: Buying the first model year of any vehicle is rarely a good idea. You become a guinea pig for the automaker and they are really not nice to guinea pigs.

The 2008 Enclave has a wide enough range of problems to issue a warning. There's transmission failure under 90k miles, new power steering units costing over $1,300, and enough engine complaints to NHTSA to scare anyone away.

2008 Buick Enclave electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Buick Enclave:

2008 Buick Enclave Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Feb 292016

Enclave

Purchased used vehicle from dealer Feb 2016. Noticed vehicle leaks when it rains through the sunroof, top of the windshield area and also from the drivers side floor area, under the dash toward the brake pedal area. I've had my dome lights fill with water, water leaking from the dome light as well as the top windshield area while I drive and stationary. This leaks are consistent whenever it rains, both while driving and while stationary. When this leaking/rain occurs the vehicle runs and idles very rough. The problem has been consistent since the vehicle purchase. When the vehicle was inspected and test driven it was not raining, therefore the leak was undetected prior to purchase. The water contacting the electrical components is a fire safety issue and needs to be addressed immediately.

- Madison Heights, MI, USA

Sep 112015

Enclave

I purchased a 2008 Buick Enclave in September 2015. I understood that it was an older vehicle, but it appeared to be in exceptions condition and decent mileage. However, the day after purchase, there was a pretty bad storm. As I was driving, water began to pour through the closed sunroof. It leaked onto the dashboard, rain began to seep from underneath the dash on both sides on to my feet as I drove. I went to the dealer to get it checked out, but they weren't able to find anything wrong with the sunroof.the leakage occurs when the vehicle is stationary and in motion. It has continued, and now my audio stopped working, no radio, chiming, onstar, backup noises or anything. I have had the audio system looked at but, they can't figure out why nothing's working. This so frustrating, I have contacted GM, but I was told there are no recalls for the issues that mentioned. I hope that Buick figures out that this is a somewhat common problem amongst Enclave owners and fix it.

- Merrillville, IN, USA

May 192016

Enclave

When it rains, water leaks inside of my vehicle. The leak is on all panels, wetting the upholstery on the driver and passenger side windows, as well as surrounding the sunroof. Water leaks from the sunroof area, rear view mirror, and side panel onto the driver while driving. I contacted GM recalls, and they advised there is no recall related to this issue on my vehicle. It occurs during driving and when the vehicle is sitting in the rain.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Feb 082016

Enclave

The air conditioner does not work most of the time. Once in a while cold air will come out but the majority of the time it does not work at all. It seems to have started when my car battery died and I had it jumped to start it.

- Moorpark, CA, USA

Mar 242016

Enclave

I own a 2008 Buick Enclave which was parked stationary in my driveway on March 24th 2016. As I exited my home and attempted to unlock my vehicle I was surprised by a cloud of smoke that was released by the front passenger airbag. It had deployed for no apparent reason. Damaging the dash, radio, and destroying the windshield glass. I immediately contacted GM service department in which they sent out a tow truck to remove my vehicle from my premises and shipped it to a ed rinke Chevrolet service department. Their investigator claims that there was a previous crack in the windshield that caused the 12" of standing water damage on my floorboards and in the airbag sensor module. There was no crack... so after being inconvenienced for almost a month, GM claims that the windshield was an aftermarket product and that they've got no responsibility for the deployment or totaled vehicle damages. The truck was returned today Apr. 19,2016 very inoperable!

- Eastpointe, MI, USA

Mar 252016

Enclave

Central locking has failed resulting in persons being locked in the car. All buttons and fobs still seem to illicit lights and beeping etc. But the doors will not lock or more importantly unlock. The plunger on the driver door could not even be pulled up manually. This is about a dangerous as a failure can get. I'm pretty clever but this is not something I'm going to able to fix.

- Fort Walton Beach, FL, USA

Jan 022016

Enclave

The contact owns a 2008 Buick Enclave. The contact stated that while driving at 40 mph, the front passenger side air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the front passenger air bag sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 89,000. The VIN was not available.

- Thomaston, ME, USA

Jan 112016

Enclave

My vehicle was purchase in August of 2014 and I received a letter a month ago saying to bring my vehicle in for service of the power lift gate because of a recall. Well about two to three days later I started to experience problems with my vehicle such as a popping sound when you unlock the doors, open the doors, turn on signal light or radio...I don't know what it could be but GM wants to charge me $125 dollars just to look at it when I believe they messed it up because my lift gate is making noises as well and did I mention my radio does not work nor does the signal when I back up work...

- Dickinson, TX, USA

Jul 012013

Enclave

The contact owns a 2008 Buick Enclave. While the vehicle was parked, the contact attempted to open the rear hatch door by pressing the open button on the fobik; however, the liftgate failed to open. On several occasions, the liftgate failed to close when the close button was pressed on the fobik. The contact had to manually open and close the liftgate on several occasions. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V415000 (structure), but the parts to do the repair were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 95,000.

- Pleasant Grove, AL, USA

May 142015

Enclave

For about 6 months my radio has been going in and out like it is shorting out or something. At the same time my put seat belt, turn signal, car open anything with sound goes in and out of working with the sound. My radio sometimes worked sometimes doesn't. today was blow out sound and I could not turn the sound down or off. It was like poltergist. Thank god it did not happen when I was driving. It scared me half to death. I turned my car off and on again to see if it would go away. I finally called my husband said I cant drive my car with this sound. About 5 minutes later I tried again just to see what would happen now I have no sound for radio, fasten seat belt nothing. Not sure if poltergist will be back but this is a real problem. This is not an isolated incident now that I have been on line. Buick has a recall on their hands. Something is seriously wrong with the Enclave electrical

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Mar 032014

Enclave

In 2014 our Enclave began having a popping noise in the audio system. All sounds, radio, dvd, turn signals, warning chimes, stopped working. After the vehicle sat for a time the audio would work again. It happened several times with the last time occurring May 5, 2015. On May 5, 2015 the audio started making a loud, ear piercing popping noise which almost caused the driver to lose control of the vehicle. My two young children were also in the vehicle right next to the rear speakers. The only way to stop the noise was to pull the vehicle to the side of a busy highway, turn the vehicle off and open the driver door. (to turn the power to the radio off) the audio has not returned this time. This is happening to most 2008 Enclaves at around 70-75K miles. Buick refuses to assist as usual. Without the audio system working, all warning chimes are silent. Check engine, seat belt, tire pressure, airbag, rear park assist. This is a huge safety issue!

- Casper, WY, USA

Apr 202015

Enclave 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Buick Enclave. While driving at approximately 35 mph, there was a burning odor and the vehicle stalled without warning. The failure recurred three times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 167,000. Updated 7/28/15 the consumer continued to get an error message from the battery charging system. The battery and the alternator were replaced. Updated 08/11/15

- Omaha, NE, USA

Jan 012014

Enclave 6-cyl

I purchased my vehicle January 2014. Since then I have had major issues with it leaking when it rains, . water enters the sunroof and drips throughout the vehicles overhead as well as soaks the passenger side carpet. Water drips from the visor, the overhead lights (which could result in an electrical fire) in the front middle and back of the vehicle it seeps through the seat belt height adjusters and the area where the side airbags deploy (which could cause deploy issues). The problem has gotten so bad my vehicle is starting to smell like mold and I am afraid that after a year of this problem mold has grown under the carpet as well as in the overhead foam. My biggest concern is if my child is exposed to this for an extended period of time it will flair up his asthma. A child with asthma is very sensitive to mold and mildew and he is very sensitive as well as has allergies to mold. Additionally, when it rains my exhaust smokes and car putts as if water has gotten into the engine/exhaust, the check engine light has come on several times while traveling and no one can seem to find the issue, the check airbag light came on a couple of months after the purchase, and my steering wheel tightens up when I turn and I have already had that taken care of once. As I was driving home today the emergency brake light came on and dinged all the way home. I believe there are now electrical issues with the vehicle due to the leaks and may cause a malfunction or fire.

- Pooler, GA, USA

Feb 202015

Enclave

Power lift gate opening and closing on it's own, while vehicle is off, on but parked, and while driving down the road. Water leaks from sunroof causing the water to drain throughout the whole inside of the vehicle.

- Lewiston, MI, USA

Mar 102014

Enclave

Purchased vehicle end of Feb 2014. Problems started right away. 3-13-14 replaced front struts, complained about trans shifts and heater motor working part time. Dealer said they could not duplicate. 4-8-14 replaced blower motor and pigtail. 6-5-14 replaced ac evaporator old one was shot. 7-5-14 replaced transmission, & water pump, & steering gear pinion shaft seal. Now we currently have clear coat pealing and water coming in on the drivers side floor.

- Arlington, OH, USA

Jun 182014

Enclave 6-cyl

The radio stopped working including all of the safety chimes associated with the vehicle, backup sensors, blinkers, on dash warning lights and chimes. The cd /dvd player emits a high pitched squeal when a cd/dvd is inserted into the player.

- Casper, WY, USA

Aug 082014

Enclave 6-cyl

Car would loose complete power. The first three times it would take a jump off. So I thought it was time to but a battery. I went to get my battery tested first and the mechanic said that the battery was perfectly fine. I drove it to work the next day and it wouldn't start again. Everything would work in the car but no fire was getting to the ignition. I had it towed to wiesner auto in huntsville Texas and they found that the wires that goes from the starter to the ignition had shorted out. I ended up spending $204. This is something that don't just happen. I think this should be looked at. Thank you for allowing me to voice my opinion.

- Huntsville, TX, USA

Jul 292014

Enclave

Three weeks ago I took my 2008 Enclave to O'neal Buick GMC to have the air bag recall completed as I had the airbag warning light illuminated in my dash along with the service airbag warning sign. I also noticed when I dropped my vehicle off that the passenger side airbag wasn't working regardless if anyone was sitting there our not even my husband who's 210 pouinds the light stayed off. After looking at the vehicle the technician came to me and advised that the passenger side airbag issue had nothing to do with the recall and that I would need to bring it back and leave it but that they were fixing the recall which had to do with them touching wires under my driver side seat. Upon leaving the dealership I expected the passenger seat to be the same as they told me I would need to bring it back. However the airbag warning light and service airbag sign should have gone away and they both were still present. I questioned it and the tech said again it has nothing to do with the recall. Upon driving home I noticed that I now had another issue a clicking noise coming from under my driver side seat which was nsot present before they did the work. I dropped my vehicle off to them again on 7/28/14 for the follow-up visit and advised the dealer that based on my paper work from GM the warnign lights I have are a result of the recall. I also alerted them to the clicking noise and they said we will look into it. To my surprise when I picked my vehicle up on 7/29/14 all lights were off and even the passenger side seat was working and of course no charge to me. However, as of today 7/30/14 I still have the clicking noise and it's worst. I hear it all over my front end and now even when I turn my steering wheel to the right. I think something went wrong electrically when they initially tried to do the recall. But it may not be them since someone else is having the same issue.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jul 102008

Enclave 6-cyl

I purchased this car on January 20, 2008. I went to get my first oil change, and when I picked up the car and started to drive off every light in the car including the button for the door locks came on. I returned to the to the dealer where I got the oil change and they kept the car for 4 weeks.mind you this was a brand new car, a Buick Enclave, that I purchased out of the stock room on display. I was given a rental car for that period, picked up the car after four weeks, returned back with the same problems and a leak in the roof that I also had to repair. Since that time it has been back and forth to the dealers. I changed dealers and took it to another dealer. They did a good job but time after time I was still having problems. I should not have had the problems after paying $47,000 for this car brand new. I feel I was given a bad deal, and they should have taken this car back because I am having problems to this day. I am smelling smoke like something is burning and I'm afraid to drive this car in fear for my and my daughter's life!! I've had valves changed, cylinder heads changed, seals, gaskets, , bolts, , ignition, coil replacement, ,lift-gate replacement, master cylinder replacement, , replaced steering gear. This car has been nothing but a problem to me. In spite of all this it's a very nice comfortable car, but I got a bad engine, and Buick should have handled this differently instead of fixing it they should have given me a different car. When I park this car in the parking lot and I come back this car front window has no visibility and windows are frosted like something is still running in the car. Since I purchased this car I have been in a rental more than this car. This is a second request was sent old ODI number is 10605243 corrections done.

- West Park, FL, USA

May 252011

Enclave 6-cyl

The steering has been an ongoing event since the second year of having the model. I would lose control of the vehicle when turning left. It would have a mind of its own and not turn. I have run off the road and went into several ditches not being able to turn (tech service date 6/20/12 rack and pinion binding causing stiffness in steering--replaced steering gear and flushed system). We almost had a head on collision when I turned it in again with the same issue demanding something be done. (5/10/13 correction-replace leaking steering gear and failed P/S pump, fill system, bleed sys and verify operation). Difficulty steering and loud popping noise while turning left (service date 4/18/14- found internal leak form power steering rack -replaced rack and bleed system and aligned vehicle. Drove out of the the dealership and noticed A/C not working and same noise coming from the front while turning left. Took it back in (5/5/14-found left front axle shaft to be popping needs to replace at owners expense. The dealership had the vehicle for 20+ days and did not fix. Airbag warning light illuminated so I took the vehicle into the dealer (6/29/10--poor connection at sir harness--diagnosed and repaired. Received a recall notice in the mail-took vehicle into the dealer (4/18/14--correction completed). Airbag warning light illuminated again. Took vehicle to the dealership (5/5/14-intermittent short in passenger presence module, checked an rechecked -- corrections needs from passenger presence module at customers expense I was called to picked vehicle up as is after 20+ days. Dealership would not fix.

- Lewisburg, TN, USA