2.9

2010 Buick Enclave drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Buick Enclave:

2010 Buick Enclave Owner Comments

Sep 282016

Enclave

Without any warning signals our timing chain stretched and slipped on our 2010 Buick Enclave. It caused significant damage to the engine. The engine completely died while in motion, stopping the vehicle from movement in the middle of the road. I was luckily on a country dirt road without much traffic, otherwise this could have gone very bad on the highway or interstate. The 2007- 2009 Buick Enclave has this same know issue with a recall, and from what I have been told by our mechanic the parts used in the 2010's are the same. It is irritating that there has not been a recall with the 2010 and later, I've seen several reports of the 2010 having the same issues. I have not received my car back from the repair shop, but can provide a invoice once one is available to me.

- Pueblo West`, CO, USA

Oct 132016

Enclave

Mileage 85,717: Driving on interstate at 70 mph vehicle lost power, was luckily able to pull off and restart to make it home. Next morning vehicle would start, but immediately shut off. Towed vehicle to local mechanic who stated it was stretched timing chain, common occurrence in Enclave, arcadia, and transverse. Reported issue to GM who referred me to certified GM dealer, vehicle was towed to that location at my expense, sat there for a week before I received any info which was stretched timing chain, already known information. I called GM back who stated they my case had already been closed out for power lift gates and there was no documentation for the stretched timing chain, after 1 hour and 25 minutes on the phone I was told that there was no assistance for the timing chain that I would be responsible for the $2000 repair bill along with $105 for the diagnostic test. At this point beyond frustrated with vehicle and GM, the arcadia and transverse have had their powertrain warranty extended why has this not happened for the Enclave?

- Deatsville, AL, USA

Aug 122016

Enclave

Our timing belt needs to be replaced at about 106,000 miles. There is a service bulletin extending special coverage for this issue for the 2009 model year. To my understanding, there were no changes made to the design for 2010, but coverage is not extended for 2010 model years. This is a safety issue because the car could stop running in the middle of the highway if the timing chain brakes while driving. There seems to be several complaints about this issue on line. I called Buick/GM for assistance, but that was not satisfactory.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Jan 222016

Enclave

Check engine light came on. Repair shop identified it as timing chain stretched. On-line research shows that the timing chain has been an issue with Buick, and they extended the power train warranty to cover repairs for the 2008-2009 model. It appears that the same or similar problem is occurring with the 2010 model. The problem did not manifest itself until after the 5 year/100,000 M warranty expired. The dealership confirmed the problem was a stretched timing chain and replaced it. However, it appears that this is a recurring problem with the vehicle.

- Westville, IL, USA

Jan 052015

Enclave 6-cyl

1. while driving, vehicle entered "reduced power mode" making it impossible to maintain speed. This is a safety issue as driver loses ability to maintain speed while traveling with flow of traffic and with reduced engine power, even the ability to pull out of the lane of travel is impaired. Dealer identified bad throttle body as cause and replaced. 2. power steering pump failure. Issue was identified due to whining noise prior to complete failure. Had pump failed completely, driver could have lost control with power assist not available while driving. Pump was replaced and necessary associated repairs made by dealer.

- Sparta, NJ, USA

Jan 152015

Enclave

Check engine light came on. Repair shop identified it as timing chain stretched. On-line research shows that the timing chain has been an issue with Buick, and they extended the power train warranty to cover repairs for the 2008-2009 model. It appears that the same or similar problem is occurring with the 2010 model. The problem did not manifest itself until after the 5 year/100,000 M warranty expired. The dealership confirmed the problem was a stretched timing chain and replaced it. GM provided some relief with a courtesy coverage of part of the cost. However, it appears that this is a recurring problem with the vehicle.

- Plano, TX, USA

Nov 302012

Enclave

When accelerating to enter a highway, the transmission seems to slip. The gas pedal drops to the floor and the engine loses all power. On several occasions the accelerator has stuck and the car accelerates or the rpms increase while I am braking. These issues have been happening intermittently and have been happening since 29,000. Car now has 69,000 miles.

- Oxford, CT, USA

Jun 132014

Enclave

My 2010 Buick Enclave, with 60,000 miles lost power steering while I was traveling on the highway. The steering basically locked up, I had great difficulty getting the vehicle off on an exit, so that I could call for help. I had to be towed to a dealer. I was told that the there had been a leak in the rack and pinion assembly leading to pump failure and gear damage, their estimate to fix: $1800. I was also told by the service department at the dealer that the engine motor mounts are loose, the engine physically moves about 6 inches when the accelerator is pushed.

- Simpsonville, SC, USA

Sep 302013

Enclave

Power steering has an awful grinding/whining noise and car gets hard to steer. This is a known issue from GM and they expect the customer to pay for the repairs. 2000 miles over their warranty. They also state my rack and pinion needs replaced, which is another known issue. Not covered under the drive train warranty is absurd. When will the customer benefit? they get bailed out and this is how they repay us. Investigate these issue. 52,000 miles and I've been in the shop 6 times. Power steering, air bags, seat belt issues, water pump, sheered frame bolt, dead battery. The car is 3 years old for goodness sake please investigate these repeated issues!!

- Riverside, CA, USA

Sep 012011

Enclave

1- we bought our used 2010 Buick Enclave in June 2010 with ~24000 mi. (bought from a dealer; car had been owned by a rental car place.) after only a couple months the # of times the steering tightened began to increase. It is especially difficult going into/out of parking/tight spaces. You have to use a lot of muscle to turn the car. I told the dealer about it during a routine service call, but...of course...they found nothing wrong (at the time it was infreq.) I contacted the dealer after having the car 1yr. They said there were no recalls and that I put too many miles on my car for them to hold it under warranty; I could bring it in for a $70 diagnostic fee. The $70 would not be applied to any service. I was given a guess-ti-mate of $1200-1500 if I had parts replaced...I decided to wait. The steering issue comes and goes but now happens almost every time I'm in a tight turn. I can't believe GM still has not been made to recall this issue. 2 - my car does the roll-back on all inclines too. I agree with other car owners - this should not happen in an automatic. Please make GM accountable for these issues.

- Freeland, MD, USA

Jul 122012

Enclave 6-cyl

On July 12, 2012 while entering the interstate the check engine light and traction stability service light came on. The car would not accelerate or shift, I could not increase speed to merge into highway traffic, as I tried to merge the vehicle slowly increased speed, not normally accelerating. I eventually was able to get to 55 mph. The next time I drove the car it acted fine. Two days later while driving at 60 mph on the interstate without warning the check engine light, traction stability service warning light, the ABS brake warning light all came on the brakes felt like mush, the car slowed in traffic, all while in the passing lane with traffic behind me. This created an extremely dangerous condition that could have easily resulted in serious injury or death. I eventually was able to move to the middle lane (3 lane roadway) and nursed the vehicle destination. When I started out again it acted fine w/check engine light and traction system warning light on then w/out warning while trying to enter the interstate again all gauges failed, ac shut off, cruise control power went off, the vehicle would not accelerate, would not shift, speed slowed from 30 to near 20, then systems started to turn back one at a time & was able to nurse the car home at 50 - 55 mph, it would not shift or accelerate correctly. Took vehicle to dealer, where purchased, they had the vehicle for 2 1/2 weeks called me stated "we can not get it to act up, come and pick up car" not repaired. I asked about codes in computer, I have a copy of these, they stated they were history codes not hard codes. When I asked about them forcing me to drive a dangerous vehicle, could cause serious injury or death, they said if it acts up to bring it back. Within 12 hrs the same events occurred as listed above. I drove it to them while all warning lights were on. They still have car it has not been repaired yet.

- Tallmadge, OH, USA

Apr 132012

Enclave 6-cyl

Today, the Enclave rolled backwards significantly while on a slight incline at freeway underpass stopped for red light. The vehicle traveled significant distance in reverse despite being in drive gear select when foot was taken off the gas to then push accelerator. Took vehicle immediately to dealer and learned this is a well-known design flaw in the Buick Enclave, GMC acadia, Chevrolet traverse. Dealership said the design centered around improved mpg and trans does not include anti-rollback feature commonly found on most auto transmissions. Looking online tonight, it's evident that 2010 and 2011 (maybe others in prior years) are affected and many, many complaints have been filed formally and informally all over the internet. NHTSA, pleas hold GM accountable for this known error. They are refusing to help consumers deal with this serious safety design flaw. Does someone have to get hurt or killed prior to forcing them to fix this? note: Be advised NHTSA your complaint website dropdown meno option box for selecting the failed component is malfunctioning - displays empty box. Had to type arrow down and guess multiple times to finally enter "power train" in data entry field cause you cannot see it visible online when clicking the arrow down.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Mar 152011

Enclave

The contact owns a 2010 Buick Enclave. The contact stated that the vehicle began to roll backward while stopped on an incline. The failure occurred whenever the vehicle was stopped on an incline. The contact also stated that the vehicle had an automatic transmission and felt that it should not roll backward while stopped. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for a diagnostic test. The technician stated that the movement was the nature of the vehicle and there were no repairs needed. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 7,000.

- Vineland, NJ, USA

Sep 122011

Enclave

The contact owns a 2010 Buick Enclave. The contact stated that the brake booster failed and caused the brakes to seize while traveling 45 mph. The contact shifted through each gear and when the brakes were abruptly applied again, the vehicle exhibited a loud pop. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was confirmed that the brake booster needed to be replaced. The contact also stated that the ect switch in the transmission failed, causing the vehicle to become resistant to acceleration attempts. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and it was confirmed that the ect switch to the transmission had failed. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage was 38,000.

- Elgin, IL, USA