2.1

2010 Buick Enclave engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Buick Enclave:

2010 Buick Enclave Owner Comments

Sep 142016

Enclave

The contact owns a 2010 Buick Enclave. While driving 40 mph, the motor failed without warning. The contact stated that the timing chain failed and was replaced; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 110,000. The VIN was not available.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Sep 282016

Enclave

Without any warning signals our timing chain stretched and slipped on our 2010 Buick Enclave. It caused significant damage to the engine. The engine completely died while in motion, stopping the vehicle from movement in the middle of the road. I was luckily on a country dirt road without much traffic, otherwise this could have gone very bad on the highway or interstate. The 2007- 2009 Buick Enclave has this same know issue with a recall, and from what I have been told by our mechanic the parts used in the 2010's are the same. It is irritating that there has not been a recall with the 2010 and later, I've seen several reports of the 2010 having the same issues. I have not received my car back from the repair shop, but can provide a invoice once one is available to me.

- Pueblo West`, CO, USA

Jul 142016

Enclave

When accelerating to merge onto highways, when accelerating to overtake vehicles and when depressing the gas pedal to climb steeper hills the car engine would not respond. This was an intermittent issue as only occurred occasionally. However, on at least 2 occasions there were near crashes of vehicles into the rear of the vehicle. One time while merging onto a highway and depressing the accelerator the engine would not increase speed and stayed at 45mph. A Transport truck in the right hand lane closed distance and had to brake as they could not move to the centre lane and I was unable to get to shoulder as I still thought the engine would respond. I eased off the gas and then accelerated again which then kicked in the engine. Another time a similar incident happened while I was climbing a steeper grade on the highway. The vehicle would not respond and keep speed and started to lose speed and I moved to the right hand lane. I could not go to the shoulder as there was a guard rail along an escarpment. Again, a Transport truck came up right behind me anticipating I would be keeping speed. Over the last few months this happened to my wife and I a couple times a week and had taken this into a garage to be checked out. At that time there were no indicator lights on or codes and the garage found nothing. About 3 weeks ago the engine check light came on and we took it to the garage where they advised us to take to a dealer as it was a timing chain problem. Upon diagnosis the dealer said it was a stretched timing chain. I did some research on this issue and what I found and what really bothers me is that GM was aware of this problem and actually issued a tsb for 2009 models. My car was built in model switch over time as a 2010 model in August 2009 but with the same parts and timing chain. The company obviously knew that the vehicles could have issues and failed to notify.

- Waterdown, TN, USA

Jun 292016

Enclave

The contact owns a 2010 Buick Enclave. While driving various speeds, the vehicle hesitated to accelerate and stalled once without warning. While at the dealer for routine maintenance, it was brought to the contact's attention that the engine oil contained metal shavings that destroyed the engine. The dealer stated that the engine needed to be replaced or rebuilt to rectify the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The VIN was invalid. The approximate failure mileage was 143,000.

- Cadiz, KY, USA

Feb 032016

Enclave

Check engine light came on while driving on the interstate highway, the vehicle lost power, reducing the speed to 35 mph in a 70 mph interstate. The vehicle cut off and would not restart. It was towed to the repair shop which identified it as timing chain stretched. On-line research shows that the timing chain has been an issue with Buick, and they extended the power train warranty to cover repairs for the 2008-2009 model. It appears that the same or similar problem is occurring with the 2010 model. A major issue when you are traveling at 70 mph and suddenly your engine loses power and you find yourself doing only 35mph with no power and then it stops suddenly.

- Mechanicsville, VA, USA

Mar 152016

Enclave

The contact owns a 2010 Buick Enclave. While driving at 60 mph and exiting the freeway, the vehicle stalled. The contact was unable to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to the dealer to be diagnosed. The contact was informed that the engine experienced a failure and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 45,085.

- Saint. Clair Shores, MI, USA

Jan 202016

Enclave

I was driving at 75 mph and my engine shut off; car began to slow, fuel dropped, power steering went out, brakes didn't work. I was able to, thankfully, get to the side of the road safely and use the rumble strips to slow me down. I turned the car off and 5 min. Later turned it on and was able to drive to a safe location. This is a common issue and all of these conditions are related to the "limited warranty protection" that GM issued Nov. 2015 (14582). This is a safety hazard. My car experienced all the other condition, malfunction indicator light came on multiple times ( may, Sept), was issued a letter in Nov. 2015 and then this occurred in Jan. 2016. Stipulation for this to be covered, under 120K miles of 10 years whichever first. My car experienced initial troubles at 110K in may and this potential fatal incident at 125. Arguing with GM over this. Should be a recall, not a limited warranty. Seems to be an unethical company. Does it take death to make this right? this has occurred countlesss times- check the internet, 100S of customers have reported this. Does this have to be another Toyota incident for GM to recognize this is a recall not a limited warranty! I have all paperwork showing the issues except dealer states since they can't replicate, they need the check engine light on and the car to be under 120K to determine if they should pay. GM is unethical!!!

- Gaithersburg, MD, USA

Jan 222016

Enclave

Check engine light came on. Repair shop identified it as timing chain stretched. On-line research shows that the timing chain has been an issue with Buick, and they extended the power train warranty to cover repairs for the 2008-2009 model. It appears that the same or similar problem is occurring with the 2010 model. The problem did not manifest itself until after the 5 year/100,000 M warranty expired. The dealership confirmed the problem was a stretched timing chain and replaced it. However, it appears that this is a recurring problem with the vehicle.

- Westville, IL, USA

Dec 032015

Enclave

Check engine light went on. Car was seemingly working alright, however, after fueling up, it was difficult to restart the car. In fact, at the last fill up I was unable to start the car for over 20 minutes while at the gas pump. This caused a great deal of anger, frustration, and rage in the other drivers who were waiting to fuel their cars at very busy gas station near lax. The dealership stated the fuel sensors needed to be replaced at a total cost of $1700. Two months prior the air conditioner/heater required repair as a hose needed to be replaced due to a leak, a $425 repair, furthermore, the steering problem we seemingly had corrected 3 years ago is occurring again and is need of another repair. And lastly, 50% of the time when I turn off the engine and pull the key out of the car, the engine continues to run. The occurred around 80-85,000 miles.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Nov 062015

Enclave

I was driving straight on the highway when the engine light came on, the engine started to run very rough, and very shortly thereafter (about one mile) the engine died. The car had to be towed to a mechanic where they found a broken timing chain that caused severe damage to the cylinder head, valves, and camshaft caps and sensors. While it was in for service they did correct recall 14187 front safety belt anchor however they charged me for replacing the rear lift-gate struts which should have been covered by recall 15240. Reimbursement request attached. While researching recalls I came across 10287 - customer satisfaction program addressing problems with the timing chain in several GM vehicles. This turned out to be a very costly repair because of the damage done by the chain whipping around in the engine compartment. It could have been avoided if a recall had been in place. Although our vehicle is a 2010 we only just purchased it this past May. Do we have any recourse" can we expect any compensation"

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Oct 232015

Enclave

The contact owns a 2010 Buick Enclave. While reversing out of the driveway and placing the vehicle in drive, the vehicle hesitated before moving forward without warning. The failure recurred on several occasions. The contact also stated that on one occasion when the vehicle was started, the engine warning indicator was consistently illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the timing chain needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 92,000.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Feb 282015

Enclave

The contact owns a 2010 Buick Enclave. The contact stated that when the ignition was turned to the on position, the service engine warning light illuminated continuously. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the timing chains failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. One week later the contact observed a leak from the front of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the water pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. Two days later while driving at various speeds, there was an abnormal noise coming from the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 59,000.

- Warinster, PA, USA

Jan 152015

Enclave

Check engine light came on. Repair shop identified it as timing chain stretched. On-line research shows that the timing chain has been an issue with Buick, and they extended the power train warranty to cover repairs for the 2008-2009 model. It appears that the same or similar problem is occurring with the 2010 model. The problem did not manifest itself until after the 5 year/100,000 M warranty expired. The dealership confirmed the problem was a stretched timing chain and replaced it. GM provided some relief with a courtesy coverage of part of the cost. However, it appears that this is a recurring problem with the vehicle.

- Plano, TX, USA

Aug 152014

Enclave

The contact owns a 2010 Buick Enclave. The contact stated while driving 40 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the ground wires from the 02 sensor had shortened out. In addition, the contact mentioned that the vehicle had exhibited problems with the transmission failing to shift out of third gear, the steering gear was leaking, the rear brake pad and springs had to be replaced and the engine light continuously stayed illuminated. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 35,000.

- Rochester, MI, USA

Mar 012014

Enclave

When backing out of my garage I was turning to my left leave my drive in a forward direction. There was snow on the ground and as I turned and was changing direction I could feel something was not right. I was sliding sideways so I turned off the radio and the motor was revving up with out my foot on the accelerator pedal. I immediately turned off the key and after all had shut down I restarted car and had no issues after that.

- Roseville, IL, USA

Oct 152013

Enclave

The contact owns a 2010 Buick Enclave. The contact stated that while reversing, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician was unable to diagnose a failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. No repairs were done to the vehicle. The failure mileage was 50,000 and the current mileage was 54,000.

- Walshville, IL, USA

Jul 122012

Enclave 6-cyl

On July 12, 2012 while entering the interstate the check engine light and traction stability service light came on. The car would not accelerate or shift, I could not increase speed to merge into highway traffic, as I tried to merge the vehicle slowly increased speed, not normally accelerating. I eventually was able to get to 55 mph. The next time I drove the car it acted fine. Two days later while driving at 60 mph on the interstate without warning the check engine light, traction stability service warning light, the ABS brake warning light all came on the brakes felt like mush, the car slowed in traffic, all while in the passing lane with traffic behind me. This created an extremely dangerous condition that could have easily resulted in serious injury or death. I eventually was able to move to the middle lane (3 lane roadway) and nursed the vehicle destination. When I started out again it acted fine w/check engine light and traction system warning light on then w/out warning while trying to enter the interstate again all gauges failed, ac shut off, cruise control power went off, the vehicle would not accelerate, would not shift, speed slowed from 30 to near 20, then systems started to turn back one at a time & was able to nurse the car home at 50 - 55 mph, it would not shift or accelerate correctly. Took vehicle to dealer, where purchased, they had the vehicle for 2 1/2 weeks called me stated "we can not get it to act up, come and pick up car" not repaired. I asked about codes in computer, I have a copy of these, they stated they were history codes not hard codes. When I asked about them forcing me to drive a dangerous vehicle, could cause serious injury or death, they said if it acts up to bring it back. Within 12 hrs the same events occurred as listed above. I drove it to them while all warning lights were on. They still have car it has not been repaired yet.

- Tallmadge, OH, USA