2010 Buick Enclave steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Buick Enclave:

2010 Buick Enclave Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Mar 122014

Enclave 6-cyl

We purchased this model in March 2013 and the rack and pinion had already been replaced at an unknown time before we bought it. Now I am having a zip zip/rubbing sound in the steering wheel when I turn left or right. I am also having to turn my wheel more and more to make a turn, left or right. The dealership said I needed a new steering column because the bushing are worn and you can not just replace them alone. This is an on going issue with many Enclaves for various years from what I understand. This issue needs to be addressed.

- Winterville, NC, USA

Dec 202013

Enclave 6-cyl

When making sharp turns, the steering tightens up or gains resistance. Makes a rubbing or grinding noise.

- Lake Elmo, MN, USA

Jan 112014

I was stopped on a main road and turning left onto a side street. As I turned the steering wheel and accelerated my steering wheel locked up. I am not certain if the wheel is "locking" or if it feels that way because the power steering unit, or something within the steering unit, is malfunctioning intermittently. I told my wife about it and she told me she was glad I experienced it because it's been happening to her with regularity.

- Weatherford, OK, USA

Sep 012013

The contact owns a 2010 Buick Enclave. The contact stated that while driving 5 mph, he attempted to turn the steering wheel to the right but the steering wheel seized. The contact stated then turned the steering wheel to the left and the failure corrected itself temporarily. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Fall River , MA, USA

Nov 192013

Enclave 6-cyl

When I try to turn left or right at a low speed, the steering locks up. If I stop and start again, the steering works correctly. This is an intermittent problem but is quite serious as it could have caused accidents two of the times it occurred!

- Howell, MI, USA

Sep 022013

My steering completely sticks when turning either left or right at slow speeds. I have heard other Buick Enclave owners having the same issue right around 60,000 miles and around the make/model year 2010. There are over 200 complaints on edmund's Buick Enclave forum "power steering noise". it is frightening because it doesn't allow you to properly make the turn. I have taken it into my Buick dealership to confirm the issue and they did confirm that there are issues with the steering pump.

- Powell, OH, USA

Aug 012013

Enclave 6-cyl

When starting from a stop and moving forward the power steering unit would fail to engage, thus rendering the vehicle extremely difficult to steer. On several instances I nearly hit other vehicles in parking lots, and on one occasion I nearly hit a pedestrian. The Buick dealer advised me to replace the entire power steering unit, which I did at my expense with 67000 miles on the car. Buick refused to accept responsibility even though the service technician said that this was not the first instance he had seen of this power steering unit failure. Interestingly, I have talked to one person with a GMC arcadia and another with a Saturn outlook who experienced the same problem in the same mileage range. Those two vehicles are identical to my Buick Enclave. It appears to me that General Motors should accept responsibility for this problem and issue a vehicle recall..

- Fayetteville, AR, USA

Sep 022013

Enclave 6-cyl

When driving slow usually in parking lots or a U-turn, the power steering fails and becomes very difficult to turn vehicle.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Nov 022013

The contact owns a 2010 Buick Enclave. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph, the vehicle became difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis. The mechanic stated that the rack and pinion would have to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 58,000.

- Fisherville, KY, USA

Sep 302013

Power steering has an awful grinding/whining noise and car gets hard to steer. This is a known issue from GM and they expect the customer to pay for the repairs. 2000 miles over their warranty. They also state my rack and pinion needs replaced, which is another known issue. Not covered under the drive train warranty is absurd. When will the customer benefit? they get bailed out and this is how they repay us. Investigate these issue. 52,000 miles and I've been in the shop 6 times. Power steering, air bags, seat belt issues, water pump, sheered frame bolt, dead battery. The car is 3 years old for goodness sake please investigate these repeated issues!!

- Riverside, CA, USA

Oct 042013

Enclave 6-cyl

2010 Buick Enclave" steering problem: When trying to make a "sharp" or "U-turn" at an intersection, parking spot or turn around, the steering wheel and car wheels seem to "lock up" to the point where vehicle almost stops by itself. You have to try turning steering back and stepping down on accelerator to get car moving again. Luckily, it has not happened at a busy intersection, otherwise I'm sure this could cause an accident. This has happened a in the past, since we've had the vehicle(2 years) but more and more recently. My wife mostly drives this car but I also have noticed it.

- Manlius, NY, USA

Feb 072011

Enclave 6-cyl

The power steering unit leaks and power steering is lost. This power steering issue occurs at all speeds in all driving condtions. The vehicle is 3.5 years old with 40,000 miles. The power steering has been replaced 4 times in this time period.

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Jun 202013

I purchased this car used with around 70,000 miles. I noticed after driving it for a short time after the purchase that the power steering shuts off when conducting low speed turns, nearly causing me to have a few wrecks. This is especially noticeable in parking lots that require precise steering. I have not noticed any issues driving around curves at highway speeds, only slow turns at 20 mph or less. The power steering fluid level is normal, and there are not any leaks that I could find. After getting a recall notice about the water pump shaft (notice 13079) and looking it up on-line, I saw that the power steering issue I have is very common, however there are not any recalls for that...yet, although there needs to be.

- Tioga, TX, USA

May 012013

Enclave 6-cyl

The car has had a whining noise in the steering for a long time. Have been told lots of things about the sound and the reason behind the sound. About 3 months ago while making a U-turn at red light the car's steering lost its power steering momentarily. It become extremely difficult to complete the turn and made for a very difficult situation. Oncoming cars were not as easy to avoid as the steering become almost impossible. At a local auto repair shop after the incident we were told that this was a very common incident with the Buick Enclave. We then called a local GM dealer and their service department, only to be told that there occasionally is air bubbles that happen in power steering systems and that the whining noise is okay. I asked if this was a common problem to be told that this is not common, even though I was told by a auto repair shop that it was a common problem. After dealing with this problem for the last 3 months and putting my small children and wife in the car, I am unable to do this any longer. It is not a safe situation, not even a little bit. My wife nearly wrecks into other cars pretty much anytime she tries to park the car in a store parking lot. After researching the internet, I am finding thousands upon thousands of other people with the same problem. I would like to believe that maybe it was just my car, but I don't think that every Buick Enclave should lose its power steering at 70000 miles. That is not good. Do something please!

- Gilbert , AZ, USA

Jun 072013

Enclave 6-cyl

The steering wheel often but not always locks up when driving at low speeds and making sharp turns, for example at a stop sign or making a U turn at a traffic light. It does not matter whether a right or left turn is being made. It takes significant force to turn the wheel to "unstuck" the steering wheel and make the car go in the intended direction, and immediate brake force is often required to avoid hitting a curb or another car that expected me to complete the turn. I took the vehicle to a Buick dealer this week and they supposedly isolated the problem to the steering pump (part 20954812) and steering gear (part 22902260), for a total of $2000 to repair. I believe this to be a safety concern because I have no confidence in my car's ability to go in the direction I intend.

- Mansfield, TX, USA

Jan 032011

The steering wheel is so hard to steer when turning. I have almost had several accidents trying to turn or back up in the vehicle. I have contacted Buick and read several reviews as well about the power steering issues. It is a safety hazard. I have to sit at lights sometimes for long periods of time due to me not being able to go into the on coming traffic because the steering is so bad it takes both hands to try to get it steered. Sometime the vehicle just stalls as I am trying to steer.

- Faunsdale, AL, USA

Apr 012013

While turning into parking spots or in an intersection while at low speeds the steering becomes extremely difficult if not impossible to turn. Its sad to hear that more people are having these issues and they cant be scares me to drive this vehicle when it could cause an accident.

- Scottsburg, IN, USA

May 152013

Enclave 6-cyl

While turning into parking spots or in an intersection while at low speeds the steering becomes extremely difficult if not impossible.

- Dubuque, IA, USA

Jun 032013

Enclave 6-cyl

2010 Buick Enclave. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle power steering problems. The consumer stated the power steering began exhibiting problems when making smooth left or right turns. The problem was not continuous, only sporadic, but lately with increasing intervals. It appeared the power steering would lose power when making turns at low to minimal speed. At times, it would become impossible to turn, having lost power until the RPM's were increased. The consumer stated the dealer had the vehicle for two days, but were unable to detect any visible problems with the steering. The dealer was then advised to drain and flush the power steering fluid and re-test it. The line pressures and flush were completed, but they were unable to attach test components due to the location on the engine. They did agree, however, that they were able to detect the same problem with the steering during test drives, the consumer experienced. The dealer suggested replacing the power steering pump and the rack and pinion, but they could not guarantee it would solve the problem. On March 29, 2013, the steering locked up as the consumer was exiting a parking lot, attempting to turn left. The vehicle veered across the road, up onto the sidewalk, and continued in a left turn back onto the road before the steering released.

- Allyn, WA, USA

Aug 012012

Shortly after purchasing the vehicle from a dealership (used), the steering started to get very difficult when turning left or right at slow speeds. As this was a used vehicle, there was no warranty. The power steering fluid level was checked and was at the correct level and there were no noticeable leaks of fluid. When turning the vehicle into the driveway, into a parking spot, or turning from a stop sign (left or right), the steering will randomly almost lock up requiring additional force to complete the turn. We have been fortunate to date that this has not caused us to turn into oncoming traffic or run off the road into a ditch. This seems to be a serious problem with the Buick Enclave that GM has not yet saw fit to address. Sadly there is a new power steering pump and rack & pinion assembly in the near future for my Enclave that I feel should be covered by the manufacturer as a design flaw. With it affecting the basic functionality of the steering, this definitely is a safety issue! simple research on the web turns up multiple hits for people complaining of the exact same problems.

- Cypress, TX, USA