2011 Buick Enclave drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Buick Enclave:

2011 Buick Enclave Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 182015

2011 Buick Enclave "engine hot A/C off" and then "engine overheated idle engine" and then "engine power reduced" messages came on in quick succession (w/in less than 1.5 miles) at 10:00 P.M. I was driving on Suburban streets when this issue occurred. Took into dealer first thing the next morning and was told the water pump was leaking and needed to be replaced. I mentioned April 2013 tsb #13079 related to leaking water pump shaft and was told that had expired. Water pump was subject of extended warranty coverage for 2008-2010 Enclaves (#13091). Water pump is covered under powertrain warranty (100,000 miles or 5 years -- my vehicle has 79,738 miles and warranty expired 10//15). Called Buick customer service to inquire about this issue. Was told dealership would have to determine any financial assistance. I believe the evidence suggests GM is aware there is a continuing issue with the water pumps on Buick Enclaves made after 2010 and there should be extended warranty coverage for the fix on these vehicles, as well.

- Wexford, PA, USA

Jun 092011

Enclave 6-cyl

I own a 2011 Buick Enclave. The vehicle rolls backwards in drive on an incline when I take my foot of the accelerator and roles forward when on a decline when in reverse. The vehicle will continue to roll until I apply the brakes. I actually have to work the brake and accelerator just to control the vehicle. Especially difficult to handle when trying to park it in hilly situations. The hill does not have to be steep at all for this to happen. But, the steeper the hill the more dangerous this rolling can be. I almost rolled into a fence while trying to back out of a parking space on an decline. I've had numerous close calls when parking or someone behind me is close to my rear bumper on an incline. I taken the vehicle to the dealer ship and they say that just the way the vehicle. No recall on this. GM does not recognize the rolling issue as a hazard. Many complaints on the internet though. I just think this is a huge safety issue that GM is ignoring. This has been happening since I bought the vehicle new on 2011.....updated 11/02/15

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jun 032013

Ever since I bought this vehicle it rolls backwards when in park.,I told the dealer about it and they say it's common. What ever that means. I put up with this until now that I am parking it in a small garage and when I park it it rolls back and the overhead door hits the bumper and flies back open. One time I parallel parked on a incline and it rolled back into the car parked behind me.luck for me no real damage. Glad I live in Florida where there are not to many hills to park on. But every time I go on vacation it gets more and more dangerous. There has to be something that can be adjusted or tightened up to stop this, please respond to my problem as to what can be done.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Apr 232012

I am not sure where transmission falls in the above list. Ever since I purchased the vehicle it rolls backwards when stopped on a hill. I have to use both feet to keep it from rolling back and hitting the car behind me. I was trying to back up in a parking space that was up hill and it rolls forward also. I asked the dealership not long after I discovered this issue and their response was oh it is supposed to do that. I find that hard to believe, it is dangerous. It's not like this is a 5 speed with a clutch but that is how you have to treat it on hills.

- Martin , TN, USA

Dec 302014

- Woodstock, VT, USA

Feb 072015

Enclave 6-cyl

While I was getting ready to merge onto a highway I heard a "pinging noise" then a "thud". I immediately pulled over to find the the drive train or drive shaft had just fallen out of my car onto the road.

- Royersford, PA, USA

Jan 092015

December 2014 lift gate was up and suddenly came down and hit my wife with great force. This happened twice but not consistently. Subsequently was taken to a Chevrolet/GM dealership, found both struts not holding pressure and were replaced at owner's expense. On the morning of January 9,2015 driving during a snow storm on an interstate suddenly vehicle lost stabiltrab, traction control and engine power was reduced to 15 mph. Due to the weather traffic was going slower than normal. Car driven to a Chevrolet/GM dealer where the throttle body was replaced at owner's expense. On January 14, 2015 owner brought car to have power steering pump replaced due to GM September 2014 notice and owner informed that power steering rack was leaking. Although not replacing the power steering rack would lead to failure of the new power steering pump, this component was not covered. Owner paid a portion to have the rack replace. This repair required a front end alignment for which the owner paid for.

- Manchester, NH, USA

Aug 152013

The contact owns a 2011 Buick Enclave. The contact stated that after stopping at a stop sign on a flat road and slowly disengaged the brake, the vehicle started rolling backwards. The contact mentioned that a great amount of pressure had to be used in order for the vehicle to move forward. The problem persisted. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 73,000.

- Picayune, MS, USA

Jul 242014

Vehicle experience severe roll back when on an incline. It is very dangerous and that has happened to me multiple times and I am afraid that I will hit the car or structure behind me. Reading Buick forums it seems line many others are experiencing this problem as well.

- Pittsburgh , PA, USA

Jun 022014

When my Buick has been on incline in the drive or reverse gear, my Buick rolls backwards or forwards depending on the direction of the incline without stopping. It makes it necessary to hold the brake with one foot and accelerate with the other. The problem used to be a small roll back but has recently become to a point where the car doesn't stop rolling. This is extremely dangerous as it does not allow the driver to have control of the car. I'm extremely worried in residential areas with driveways on an incline as it will make it hard to stop the car if a kid is either in front or behind the car when this occurs.

- Springfield, VA, USA

Apr 012014

Regarding 2011 Buick Enclave: Power steering rack is leaking and pump faulty requiring replacement. Only 53K on car; bought it brand new in 2011. Luckily I have extended warranty although dealer trying to argue their responsibility. This is very upsetting for several reasons: This a $45,000 car, I pointed this issue out 2 weeks prior during my regular oil change visit and was blown off until I pressed the matter, and I have seen several posts recently regarding this exact issue with this type vehicle. Additionally there is admitted fault by GMC regarding several mechanical issues related to power steering and as evidenced by multitude of recent recalls. I hate to say it but this is my first american car and likely my last. My 2004 Nissan with 180K miles runs great!!

- Plainfield, IL, USA

Nov 092013

Enclave 6-cyl

Driving off of a highway. Sudden engine seize steering lock and zero power. Car rolled to a complete stop. Luckily we were in a turning lane and were able to roll into a safe waiting area. No one in the vehicle were injured bodily yet the mental anguish and fear was unbearable. Had this happened on the highway five minutes earlier, with the heavy traffic, I am sure there would have been much more serious outcome. The car has since been serviced. Replaced were a broken engine belt., and bad tensioner. What I don't understand is how a 3 year old car could fail so terribly. I am now petrified to drive my Enclave for fear of other faulty parts. Service was performed at ferman GMC on November 11, 2013 in lutz Florida. This was their first encounter with such a problem. Very scary experience for all involved. Every time I see a buck I recall that night in my mind. I still have not driven the car since it has been repaired and home. Not sure I can ever trust this brand again. I was told a faulty tensioner caused the engine belt to snap. Horrible.

- Wesley Chapel, FL, USA

Aug 272013

Enclave 6-cyl

When car is on a incline when you take your foot of brake it rolls backward, just purchase the car on 8/8/2013 took it back to dealer they say that's how it is, nothing wrong.(safety hazard??)

- Parma Hts, OH, USA

Mar 182013

Enclave 6-cyl

Vehicle rolls backwards when I let off brake on slight grade at stop.

- Plymouth, IN, USA

Aug 062011

Enclave 6-cyl

Transmission does not hold at all - will move forward while in reverse at the slightest incline - also does not shift down to pass other vehicles - very sloppy sluggish transmission.

- Mokena, IL, USA

Aug 022010

While stopped at stop sign; vehicle rolls. While taking off, you must keep your foot on the brake to prevent vehicle from rolling backward into vehicle behind while accelerating too. This vehicle is like driving a manual vehicle.

- Gladstone, IL, USA

Sep 282011

The contact owns a 2011 Buick Enclave. The contact stated that while in reverse with the brakes depressed, the vehicle rolled forward. Also, when the gear was in drive the vehicle would roll backward. The accelerator pedal had to be depressed with force in order for the vehicle not to roll away when gear was in drive. The failure was experienced numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for a diagnostic, but the dealer was unable to locate a failure code. The vehicle was also test driven but the dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was made not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 400 and the current mileage was 6100.

- Crystal , MN, USA

Dec 122011

Enclave 6-cyl

2011 Buick Enclave rolls unabated on hills while in gear - drive or reverse. Very hard to control. Requires very quick move from brake to accelerator and "2-foot" driving which is dangerous and wears brakes and transmission. There is no "hill hold" feature and drivetrain provides no resistance.

- Hopewell Junction, NY, USA

Nov 052011

Enclave 6-cyl

2011 Buick Enclave rolls uncontrollable on hills while in gear - drive or reverse. Very hard to manage. Requires very quick move from brake to accelerator and "2-foot" driving which is dangerous and wears brakes and transmission. There is no "hill hold" feature and drivetrain provides no resistance. This is a serious safety concern as the rollback is not restricted and can reach dangerous speeds depending on the level of decline. This requires the driver to keep firm and consistent pressure on the brake when on an incline to avoid rolling into other vehicles and also, go heavy on gas to overpower the roll when taking off. This is even worse than a manual transmission vehicle as at least they will stop if they snub out.

- La Grange, TX, USA

Sep 122011

Enclave 6-cyl

On incline when in drive -- rolls backward, indefinitely. On decline when in reverse -- rolls forward, indefinitely. This makes the vehicle extremely dangerous to parallel park on an incline/decline, as at some point you will need to take your foot off the brake to get going and when you do, the vehicle will roll forward (hopefully not hitting the car in front of you) and the accelerator will need to be applied enough to move the heavy vehicle against the grade (hopefully not so forcefully that you will risk hitting the car behind you). Service department at local dealership pointed me to owner's manual (9-25): "if the vehicle is stopped on a hill, with your foot off the brake pedal, the vehicle may roll. This is normal and is due to the torque converter designed to improve fuel economy and performance. Use the brake to hold the vehicle on a hill. Do not use the accelerator pedal." However, this owner's manual entry is in the "drive" section, and similar statements are not mentioned within the section about "reverse."

- Portland, OR, USA