2008 Buick LaCrosse seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Buick LaCrosse:

2008 Buick LaCrosse Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Oct 092016

LaCrosse 6-cyl

The airbag indicator warning light comes on intermittently while driving my 2008 Buick Lacrosse. This car has only 23,000 miles on it. The failure happens every time I drive my car with or without someone in the front passenger seat. This exposes the driver and passenger to danger as no airbag protection is afforded to them when the light is on. I brought the car to the dealer for diagnosis, they said a part may be needed that costs about $1,000 to replace. This needs to be recalled because it is a safety issue that many Buick have, and the replacement costs should be covered by General Motors, not the customer. Apparently, I am not the only one to experience this issue. Here is a link to the carcomplaints.com website where many others have shared their experiences with this problem. www.carcomplaints.com/Buick/Lacrosse/2008/seat_belts_air_bags/air_bags.shtml thank you

- Tinton Falls, NJ, USA

Sep 092016

LaCrosse

Red airbag light comes on and off while driving when passenger in front seat.

- Pearl River, LA, USA

Jan 042016

LaCrosse

"takata recall" front passenger seat airbag would stay off whenever passenger is siting in seat with seat belt fastened.. there have been numerous complaints about this same issue nationally and it is a safety issue. I had to replace a pass presence module at a cost of over $900. I took out a 3 year warranty to cover all electrical issues when purchasing this car and surprisingly this module was not covered in the warranty. It is a safety issue and it should be covered...not only for Buick vehicles but also for Chevrolet, etc. Needs to be recalled because many Buick' have this same problem and the replacement costs should be covered by General Motors...not the customer.

- Spring Valley, AZ, USA

Feb 292016

LaCrosse

The contact owns a 2008 Buick Lacrosse. The contact stated that while driving at 60 mph, the front passenger side air bag warning light illuminated with a passenger in the front seat. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the passenger presence system module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 48,018.

- Spring Valley, AZ, USA

Jul 112016

LaCrosse

I had a 6 pack of beer sitting on my passenger seat and my "airbag" malfunction indicator light became illuminated. So I removed the 6 pack of beer from my seat however, the airbag light stayed illuminated. This happened after 5pm so I have yet to contact my dealer as their service closes at 5pm. The car was sitting in the parking lot when this occurred. I found from "googling" this issue that this is a common fault in 2008 Buick Lacrosse models.

- Salineville, OH, USA

Jul 092016

LaCrosse

The passenger airbag telltale intermittently illuminates while driving. The dealer has advised the airbag is disabled at the times the light is displayed. NHTSA reports from owners indicate that dealer part changes (control, weight sensor, etc.) have not been successful to correct the issue. With that in mind, it's apparent that a design issue must be at the root cause. This issue is just as dangerous if not worse than the ignition key issue because both disable the airbag. This issue unlike the ignition issue which causes the car to shut down can go unnoticed if the driver fails to see the indicator light. This exposes the passenger to a potential danger if involved in a crash at that time. Disconnecting and reconnecting the seat belt and repositioning a passenger's weight eventually will turn off the light provided the light is detected and the passenger is advised. NHTSA should be more aggressive in correcting this dangerous issue. Note: The date entered is today's date since the condition intermittantly continues to occur.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Sep 222015

LaCrosse

Air bag warning indicator illuminates erratically. Sometimes it is illuminated when starting the engine, sometimes it illuminates when the vehicle is moving down the road at various speeds (no real pattern). Sometimes the warning light goes out while driving and other times it stays on until the car is parked and turned off. It seems to be related to warmer weather because the symptoms went away when it got cold in September 2015 and came back when it got warmer in June 2016

- Saint Peters, MO, USA

May 112016

LaCrosse

2008 Buick Lacrosse - airbag light will come on near the speedometer while driving down the road. It will stay on for a couple minutes then shut off. There are 74,000 miles on the vehicle and I just bought it used from a Buick dealership. I'm assuming the problem was there with previous owners as well since it happened for the first time as I was driving the car home after purchasing. This happens even if there isn't anyone in the passenger seat at all. I have read numerous complaints about this online as when that light is on the airbag will not deploy in an accident. There are many stories of modules and other things being replaced but it not fixing the problem. This is clearly a safety issue that concerns me.

- Harbor Beach, MI, USA

Apr 242016

LaCrosse

Airbag sensor in passenger seat failed. That also effected the seat belt warning light. Failure was intermittent and occurred with engine running car in motion.

- Helena, MT, USA

Jan 012015

LaCrosse

Seat belt module failure, intermittent. Occurs either while driving or upon start-up. Air bags are inoperable when indicator light is on. Not related to any known incident. This vehicle has only 60,00 miles on it. Problem appeared at about 50,000 miles.

- Spencer, IN, USA

Mar 012014

LaCrosse

The contact owns a 2008 Buick Lacrosse. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the front passenger side air bag module failed. The vehicle was repaired and the front passenger side air bag module was replaced. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 58,000. Updated 05/03/16

- Centenial, CO, USA

Mar 132015

LaCrosse

The description that follows is a safety issue which could result in the death or serious injury of a passenger in the front seat. The air bag indicator for the passenger front seat is continuously lit. The local Buick dealership scanned and checked the air bag system, repaired connections and cleared the code. At present, nearly 8 months later, the air bag light is now continuously lit when driving the vehicle which indicates that there is no air bag protection for the passenger in the front seat. The dealership indicated that the cost to replace and program the passenger position module is $1540. This is a definite safety issue and should be subject to a recall. GM should not be manufacturing a vehicle in which, at 51097 miles, the air bag system does not function. I note a number of complaints regarding this particular safety issue.

- Palm Harbor, FL, USA

Oct 072015

LaCrosse

The contact owns a 2008 Buick Lacrosse. While driving approximately 45 mph, the driver and passenger side air bag lights illuminated continuously. The contact stated that the air bag light indicated the air bags were off. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the air bag sensor needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 67,000.

- Traverse City, MI, USA

May 142015

LaCrosse

The air bag light in the car comes on when I'm driving. I checked with the dealer and they said if I pay $500 they can take care of the problem. I think this is a safety problem because the air bag will not deploy if I am in a accident.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Jul 242015

LaCrosse

I bought this lovely car and thought I got a great deal-now I wonder what I was thinking!! the car drove home from the dealership beautifully, but after 5 days of owning it I was driving down a major highway at 70mph and the headlights shut off. I now have that problem any time I drive at night. The passenger air bag light goes off and on while the seat is occupied and last night I looked outside, only to discover that my headlights were on. Nothing I did would make them stay off other than disconnecting the battery. The electrical on this car is obviously a nightmare and I will be looking in to trading this car as soon as possible :(

- Greenwood, MO, USA

Jan 152015

LaCrosse

The car's air bag light by the speedometer has been illuminating intermittently at various speeds whether there is a passenger in the passenger seat or not. The passenger seat air bag on/off light near glove compartment turns to off when the speedometer air bag light illuminates. In June, I took the car into an independent mechanic to get the problem fixed. Unfortunately, the computer doesn't store a code for this problem. The mechanic tried to improve the connection to the passenger seat and "relearned" the computer; however, the problem still occurs. Mechanic said it "might" be a $1,000 fix which involves part of the passenger seat cushion itself! it cost me $100 to find out this much and attempt a correction, but $1,000 is ridiculous; especially for a "maybe" fix. I see others are having this problem, too. I've already had the ignition switch key fix at the dealership. I also already had the problem with the headlights turning off as we were driving down the road; our independent mechanic fixed that and I'm still waiting for the GM reimbursement on that. Hoping we can get GM to fix this air bag problem before it causes injuries.

- Waterford, WI, USA

Jun 032015

LaCrosse 6-cyl

Once in a while when driving this car, the air bag light comes on. It stays on for a while than it will turn off. It has been also coming on when you start the car and staying on for a while than turning off also. I was told when the light comes on, the air bags don't work.could you look into this and let me know about this situation.......updated 10/05/15 thank you

- Oakdale, MN, USA

May 122015

LaCrosse

The air bag indicator light on the dash keeps going on and off, indicating the air bags are off, then on. It doesn't matter if someone is in the passenger seat or not. When someone is in the passenger seat, more times than not it indicates the air bag is off

- Grandville, MI, USA

Mar 192015

LaCrosse 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Buick Lacrosse. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the front passenger side air bag warning light illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000. Updated 7/16/15

- Concord, NC, USA

Feb 152015

LaCrosse 6-cyl

While driving on a major road in Florida, the airbag light came on, the instrument panel of my 2008 Buick Lacrosse. There was a passenger in the seat at the time & had their seat belt fastened. This occurs even if no one is sitting in the passenger seat. The airbag light will go on and off intermittently at any speed, even when sitting still at a light, whether there is a passenger in the seat or not. I believe this to be a major safety issue.

- Brooksville, FL, USA