NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2009 Buick LaCrosse (Page 1 of 2)

2.9

2009 Buick LaCrosse electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Buick LaCrosse:

2009 Buick LaCrosse Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Mar 052014

LaCrosse

Front passenger seat when occupied - the air bag and seat belt not on indicator light will go on and off intermittently under all driving conditions, including stationary.

- Mechanicsburg, PA, USA

Nov 252014

LaCrosse

GM recall # N140291 was issued 11/25/2014. As of 1/6/2016 a remedy is not yet available per the GM web site. Really" when is the NHTSA going to start prompting some action from GM"

- Lakewood Ranch, FL, USA

Nov 052015

LaCrosse

ABS stablility traction lights come on and the car dies I have no power steering or breaking power and my car is still moving. GM did the petal recall to it thinking that would fix it, it did and has not. This is a death trap I have lost faith in driving this car. How is this not a safety issue"?" has happened twice.

- Waterford, MI, USA

Jul 152015

LaCrosse

Air bag indicator light on passenger side is off 50% of time when carrying a passenger electric automatic door locks fail to operate on driver's side and on occasions when they work you have to manually unlock the doors

- Pinetown, NC, USA

Aug 212015

LaCrosse

The air bag light comes on intermittently. I took it in for service, and was told it would be $1300 to replace the passenger presence module. I've seen other complaints online regarding this same item. I've also had issues with the automatic locks. It initially started with the passenger front door, and has now progressed to all the doors. The price I was given to repair this was $1600. Again, I've seen numerous online complaints concerning this item. This is my 3rd Buick, and I do not intend to buy another one. It seems once the warranty expires, several costly repairs are incurred.

- Bellaire, TX, USA

Jan 012015

LaCrosse

In January of 2015 the electronic door lock system began to malfunction. The remote first failed to control the right rear door. Then the malfunction spread to the left front door lock. The situation became worse until the entire locking system could only be controlled manually. Even then the physical key control frequently malfunctioned. Safety hazards were created including locking the keys inside an unoccupied running vehile, being totally unable to unlock the vehicle, and generally inconsistent ability too maintain control over the vehicles locking status. Approximately $1,000 dollars have been spent using genuine GMC parts to correct the problem. It is still unstable and in a deteriorated condition.

- Kingman, AZ, USA

Jul 022015

LaCrosse

I was driving on parkway in nassau county at 11:30 am on 7/2/15 on a sunny day and the windshield wipers started going up and down slowly, I had not put them on. While driving I tried to stop the wipers to no avail. The computer on dashboard stated 'open hood' but as I was driving the hood was definitely not open. I later realized the computer was saying... open the hood. A few moments later I saw smoke coming out of the passenger side of the hood and the computer said something like 'system failure'. I immediately pulled over, turned off the car and took the keys. The windshield wipers were still moving even though the car was off and keys were out of the ignition. A volunteer firefighter from local area saw my car, pulled over, opened the hood and used an extinguisher on the fuse box which was smoking badly although we didn't see flames. He disconnected the cables on the fuse box, local fire department and NY state trooper arrived. My car was towed to my mechanics garage. We have since found out that the fuse box was distroyed with most damage to the hdm relay as position #35 is severely damaged. I believe this is also next to the windshield wiper relay which is why they went on. Also 3 major wiring harnesses were melted and destroyed. We don't know if the computer or any other feature under the hood is affected at this time. The damage at this point is estimated to be $4,000 in parts and labor not including possible computer damage. I have seen on the internet that my car is included in recall N140291 loss of low beam hdm dated 11/25/14 but that GM 'will' provide a plan for remedying the defect. Also on the internet is has been reported by many people that they had similar issues with fire starting in the fuse box in hdm position #35. This is a serious situation that needs to be addressed and resolved now by GM before someone is hurt in a fire. Updated 06/08/16

- Mattituck, NY, USA

Dec 122014

LaCrosse 6-cyl

2009 Buick Lacrosse. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle headlights malfunction and ignition recall issues. The consumer stated while driving home one night, the headlights went out. The consumer went to the dealer, where they claimed they fixed the problem. In January 2015, the consumer received a recall for the very problem she experienced. The letter went on to say, if the problem was fixed, it was still not solved, as there was no current fix for the issue. Updated 09/11/15

- Manahawkin, NJ, USA

Apr 122015

LaCrosse

The contact owns a 2009 Buick Lacrosse. While driving approximately 35 mph, the key partially disengaged from the ignition switch and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle rolled to the bottom of the incline and then restarted. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V355000 (electrical system); however, the part needed to perform the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 43,000.

- Richmond, VT, USA

Sep 122014

LaCrosse 6-cyl

Driving home at 11pm in the dark and lost headlights completely first time in Sept 2014 then again in October 2014 and most recently 3 times in May 2015 all 3 times I was driving 55 mph in the dark and last one was in pouring rain.. luckily there were street lights each time..I pulled over quickly, blindly as the dash lights went out, too, so I couldn't see where the 4 way flashers were to turn them on..I got out and looked got back in shut car off started it back up and the headlights came back on..the most recent time and the first time I had no high beams either..literally no lights for 30 seconds to 3 minutes.. had there been traffic I may have been in an accident or if not for streetlight in pouring rain I would have ended up in a ditch or worse.. there is a recall on lowbeams but dealer wouldn't fix it because GM is dragging their feet about the problem..so I took it on my own to order a relay replacement part online headlight module today to see if that fixes the problem until GM decides to issue the recall guidelines to the dealers.....I don't understand what they are waiting for.. this is a very scary situation I don't drive after dark and we cant afford to buy another vehicle as my husband is retired and disabled.

- Weedsport , NY, USA

Jun 102009

LaCrosse

Dash lights fade in and out while driving. Nothing seems to cause it they just go out making it impossible to see the speed, read the onstar directions or see the mileage. Sometimes mileage only will show, sometimes mileage only does not show. Biggest problem is that the speedometer does not show. This is an on going problem. It is not possible to safely drive this car at night. On occasion there are no display lights of any type showing in the car - the car is in total darkness inside. The problem does occur during the daytime as well but if the sun is out it is not such a big problem. I have talked to friends who have the same problem with their vehicles. This is a safety issue but I have been unable to get GM or my car dealership to acknowledge this problem exists. I am unable to drive my car at night or when there is a rainstorm because I panic when I have no internal lights or can see the speed I am traveling at. Turning on my headlights manually does not solve this problem.

- Menomonee Falls, WI, USA

Oct 212013

LaCrosse

We have experienced multiple electrical problems with our 2009 Buick Lacrosse. It first appeared as a bad battery which was replaced. Using the in-car digital readout, we began to see strange voltage readings in the car. The voltage would some times read as low as 12.6 volts and then would start a steady climb up to 14.4 volts. It might stay that way for hours or might slowly drop to the low level. At the low level, we have noticed that multiple items like the speed control and the air conditioning would not work until the voltage was at the high level. We have had an episode where the low beam would not operate until I switched the high beam on and them switched to low beam. We have received the recall noticed on that item. Other strange things are happening like the radio changing stations on its own. The passenger seat indicator reads false at times when traveling. The air bag indicator light reads off and the seat belt indicator read unlatched. As we continue traveling, the indicators go back to their normal indications.

- Hutchinson, KS, USA

Jan 192015

LaCrosse

The contact owns a 2009 Buick Lacrosse. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 70 mph, it was noticed that the speedometer indicated an inaccurate reading level of 120 mph. In addition, the tire warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 55,000.

- Evergreen, AL, USA

May 012014

LaCrosse

The contact owns a 2009 Buick Lacrosse. The contact stated that the headlights failed and the check engine warning light illuminated. In addition, the instrument panel failed to illuminate. The failures recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 53,000.

- Evergreen, AL, USA

Oct 082014

LaCrosse

The contact owns a 2009 Buick Lacrosse. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V355000 (electrical system). However, the parts needed were unavailable. The dealer was uncertain when the parts would become available to service the vehicle under the recall. The manufacturer was notified of the problem and they stated that the parts should have been available. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Aug 012014

LaCrosse

The contact owns a 2009 Buick Lacrosse. The contact stated that NHTSA campaign number: 14V355000 (electrical system) exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The dealer informed that the part was not available for the recall repair. The contact stated that a expected part availability date was not available. The contact did not experience a failure.

- Centerville , OH, USA

Sep 222014

LaCrosse 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Buick Lacrosse. While making a right turn at approximately 15 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle restarted and resumed normal operation. The dealer informed the contact of NHTSA campaign number: 14V355000 (electrical system); however, the part needed was unavailable to perform the repair. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 64,000. Updated 11/20/14 updated 8/4/2015

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 212014

LaCrosse

I was driving to work using my normal driving route in the morning about six am. The conditions were dry and clear. This route has no serious road hazards and is approximately 13.5 miles in distance. I rolled up to a traffic light to make a left turn. Upon waiting for the left turn arrow to come on the car stopped running. The engine shut down.... none of the lights on the car would work and it would not restart. I pushed the car my self into a gas station entrance with some difficulty I will say. I am a big person so it was not that hard to roll this car a few feet. I removed the key and got out and opened the hood to check the battery connections. They were connected and tight. I shut the hood thinking to myself what I should do? so I tried to start the car with the automatic key fob start sequence. To my surprise it started!! all lights and gauges were working. I put the car in drive to complete my drive to work. I had about 1 mile to go. As I drove away the head lamps shut down. Along with the turn signals and possibly the brake lights. I arrived at work and parked leaving the car running. I attempted to use the switches to turn the head lights on but had no success. No lights at all no gauges at all. Later that day I was leaving work and everything operated on my drive home. Safe to say I am a bit pissed off. I was assured that this car was not part of the recall by my dealer O'reilly Buick of newtown square pa. When I purchased this car it was listed as 'GM certified used car'. looks like after I am done with this repair, this car is going to be traded in. Along with this recall there has been a few major electronic repairs to this car. Along with rear alignment issues that were present when this car was assembled. I am done with GM!

- Media, PA, USA

May 072014

LaCrosse 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Buick Lacrosse. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated intermittently. The contact was made aware of recall NHTSA campaign number 14V355000 (electrical system). However, the VIN was not included on the recall. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 65,000. Updated 09/11/14 the consumer stated the manufacturer has recalled the ignition switch but has no solution. Updated 1/13/2015

- Ranson, WV, USA

Jun 192014

LaCrosse 6-cyl

The owner had been smelling a bad odor when she arrived at her destination in a mall parking lot. The odor did not fade when the vehicle engine was turned off and subsequently opened the hood. Black smoke was seen coming from the fuse block. Upon removing the cover to the fuse block, the owner observed a small fire which caused damage to the wiring harness. The vehicle was later examined by an independent engineering consultant who identified the origin of the fire. The origin was placed at the # 35 position in the fuse block which was occupied by the hdm module. It was later learned from the owner that an unexplained headlight outage had occurred sometime prior to the fire and that turning off the engine and restarting the vehicle caused the headlights to come on again. The event never occurred again. It was further determined that there have been several instances of highlight failure that have been reported to NHTSA and are available in the "complaints" section of a search for recalls of this vehicle.

- Smyrna, TN, USA