2012 Buick LaCrosse drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Buick LaCrosse:

2012 Buick LaCrosse Owner Comments

Oct 052015

LaCrosse

We have a 2012 Buick Lacrosse with eassist. When driving at around 65 mph on the highway without the cruise control engaged the vehicle door locks suddenly unlock and lock, the car downshifts and the rpms go way up and a light comes on that says "service power steering". we have taken it to the dealership at least 3 times for this issue and they say that because there is no code dropped in the computer when it does it and they don't have it happen when they test drive it, they don't know what to do. The car has 53K miles on it and this has probably happened about 2 dozen times. The entire event lasts for about 10 seconds but it is vary scary when you are crusing along at 65+ mph and all of these these events just happen, especially the high rpms, because it's like engine braking as the transmission downshifts.

- River Forest, IL, USA

Sep 252014

LaCrosse

Aprox. 1130 pm on August 27th, 2015, I was driving (60 mph) home from work and lost all power stearing, I almost had a accident and cashed my 2012 Buick Lacrosse due to the loss of power steering. I made it about a half of a mile down the street and called 911 for assistance since it was dark. I had to call a tow trcuk to come get my car and take it to the local repair shop. On Friday August 28th the dealership said they had to order my part it was the surpintine belt and it wouldnt be there until Monday August 31st. On Monday 8/31/2015 the dealship tech says it may be a motor issue but wont know until he tried the belt first. Monday 8/31/15 the auto tech said the dealership did not have the tool. On Tuesday 9/1 the dealership said they have the tool but now my car needs not only a belt but the tensioner as well. The dealership is quoting me a price of over $650 plus the cost of my rental car. After some research I found a bulletin in March 2012 for Buick Lacrosse and regals with faulty surpintine belts made of tensil or copper that needed to be replaced by spetember 2012, I did not purchase my car untl November 2012. Now GM is refusing to fix the part enven though I still have a 100K mile powertrain warranty and they have the broadcast notification of a faulty part. Now GM refuses to pay for the part and/or my rental car. I almost had a injury due to the malfunction. I need assistance. Please advise.

- Elkridge, MD, USA

Aug 042015

LaCrosse

The contact owns a 2012 Buick Lacrosse. After parking and attempting to exit the vehicle, the vehicle independently rolled back and crashed into the vehicle in its rear. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 25,000.

- Detroit , MI, USA

Jan 152013

LaCrosse

The contact owns a 2012 Buick Lacrosse. While driving 31 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and the vehicle violently jerked forward without warning. The failure recurred continuously. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 350.

- Powder Spring, GA, USA

Aug 012013

LaCrosse 6-cyl

Shortly after purchasing this vehicle I found that while rounding a corner the power dies and I lost control of the vehicle since I had not power steering or brakes. I was able to steer the car to the berm and waited until power was restored. This has occurred many times. Upon checking with the dealer I was told Buick is aware of the problem, but there is no recall. Then I began having alot of problems with the stabilitrak - the car loses power and surges. Again the dealer told me they are aware of the issues with the Lacrosse, but there was no recall and the cost of repairs was over $2000.

- Warren, OH, USA

Aug 132014

LaCrosse

At around 70 mph the doors unlock and lock and the transmission shifts to neutral causing the engine to over rev.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Jun 042012

LaCrosse 4-cyl

The car was 5 months old. We were going downhill in the mountains of wv. The car seemed to lose power of propulsion and acceleration, so we coasted to a stop on the side of the interstate highway. The car would not go forward or accelerate at all, although the tachometer would move when we accelerated. This was a frightening experience because of the traffic on the highway. We could have easily been hit by a truck. The service people found no defects. For the past two years we have not lost power, but the car's transmission lurches when we stop accelerating and slow to 32 mph. This gives us a ride that is not smooth, and at times is uncomfortable. Others have reported the same issues online, and we are concerned about safety while driving our car, especially at high speeds and on highways. The GM dealership service department denies there is a defect that can be fixed.

- Evansville, IN, USA

Jan 012014

LaCrosse

For about 6 months I have been having problems with stalling after slowing and then accelerating. The first 3 times were not as frightening as the one that occurred on 7-7-2014.returning from a trip to new orleans, as I exited the interstate and began to ramp off, the car stalled to the point of no control of the steering. It lurched to regain speed and finally recovered. We took it to the dealer on 7-10-2014 and they did diagnostic check and found no obvious problem which is difficult to do when the problem is intermittent. I am afraid of driving the vehicle until it is repaired. The dealer said to bring it back if the problem occurs again. My question--what if the next time it causes a crash? can you please help me get resolution as my warranty expires in Feb. 2015.

- Greenwell Springs, LA, USA

Feb 012014

LaCrosse 6-cyl

2012 Buick Lacrosse. Consumer writes in regards to all wheel drive light illuminated. The consumer was informed the entire rear end needed to be replaced.

- Milton Freewater, OR, USA

Jun 292014

LaCrosse 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Buick Lacrosse. The contact stated that while parked, the vehicle rolled away and hit the wall of a house. The vehicle was diagnosed and repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 9,000. Updated 8/27/14 updated 08/29/2014

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 152012

LaCrosse

This is a 4cyl car with easiest. Unintended acceleration - the car while going downhill or sometimes uphill, accelerates on its own after releasing the gas pedal. I almost hit another car once because of this. Jerking - the car while decelerating from 50-40 mph to 30-20 mph jerks after releasing the gas pedal (with an intention of decelerating) or while applying brakes. This has been happening regularly since I bought the car in Oct 2012.

- Camp Hill, PA, USA

May 012013

LaCrosse 4-cyl

The generator control module and **several** other components of the hybrid assist system failed while driving, and subsequently resulted in a loss of power throughout the vehicle. The main battery (in front) also exploded. The vehicle lost power steering, braking, etc. Loss of power steering hampered the driver's ability to coast out of traffic to safety. Had we not been in the left turn lane and had the arrow not turned green as it failed, the car would have died in the middle of a four lane, 45mph road during rush hour, and we probably would have too. Had the driver not been physically fit, it would have been impossible to turn the steering wheel. Not even the hazard lights worked.

- Denver, CO, USA

Jul 302013

LaCrosse

I have had multiple issues with my 2012 Buick Lacrosse, it started sooner than this with my air deflector falling off at 75 mph and almost flipping my car. This time on July 30th my vehicle went completely out from the memory loss, the transmission just stopped working and I was stalled in one of the busiest intersections in my city. As I was trying to get my vehicle to move again the light turned red and an 18 wheeler almost broadsided me. I found out that back in may a safety recall was sent down on my vehicle. The ones with easiest the battery in the back can catch fire and cause problems. I did not even get my notice until I had picked my vehicle up and GM said they weren't going to send notices until they "had a problem" well parts on national back order due to the problem seems like a huge problem. GM keeps giving me excuse after excuse and does not want to help me in all the problems I have had. My air deflector falling off they said could not happen, I said it did and it is gone, can't reproduce something with nothing there. In front of my neighborhood a Cadillac escalade dropped his air deflector too, same side dropped, same side twisted off, nothing in the road to cause the problem and I have the proof yet GM doesn't care and still says it doesn't happen. My mechanic said if it is not installed properly they will just fall off, the air deflectors on GM products are held on by only 2 bolts, the other spots have never been bolted on, now I have a damaged vehicle and GM says it doesn't happen. I have almost been killed three times and my daughter once in this vehicle, how normal is that? please help!!

- Southaven, MS, USA

May 312012

LaCrosse 4-cyl

Un smooth shifting around 30 mph, causing the car to jerk or brake feels like the assist is not sensing, causing the had to dealership nothing they can do all check out but the problem is still there.

- Moorhead, MN, USA

Jun 172011

LaCrosse 6-cyl

I parked the vehicle in parking bay at a gas station and went inside. I was in there approximately 3 minutes and a gentleman game into the building and asked did anyone in there own a Buick Lacrosse. I said it was mine, he told me it had rolled out of the parking bay towards his Mercedes, he had stopped my vehicle. I subsequently found I had turned the engine off while the vehicle was in drive so there was no braking effect. Where I had parked the pavement was a very gentle slope so I did not notice any movement of the vehicle when I alighted from it. This model has remote wireless key so you do not insert any key to either start or stop the engine. To start you have to have the key within the vehicle be in either park or neutral and depress the foot brake and then press the start button. What I have found is when turning off the engine the vehicle can be in any of the following, drive, reverse, neutral or park. So if you happen to be in anything but park and then turn off the motor then the vehicle is free to roll away with the possibility of it hitting something or worse still hitting a person. With all automatic vehicles I have previously owned you needed to put the vehicle in park before you could remove your key and after exiting the vehicle you knew it was effectively braked and was not going to roll away. I believe this matter needs addressing before it does result in a possible fatality. To alleviate the possibility of the vehicle moving either the engine/transmission management system needs to be altered so that you must put the vehicle in park before turning off the engine or at the very least there should be either an audible alarm or visual alarm to alert the driver that the driver has not left the vehicle in a safe condition. After contacting the dealer it was determined this anomaly applied to all of these vehicles.

- Kingwood, TX, USA