2004 Buick LeSabre accessories - interior NHTSA complaints: Electrical System:Instrument Panel

NHTSA — Electrical System: Instrument Panel Problems

3.2

2004 Buick LeSabre accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Buick LeSabre:

2004 Buick LeSabre Owner Comments

Jun 102008

LeSabre 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Buick Lesabre. The contact stated that the instrument panel lighting and tail lights fail constantly. As a result, visibility is significantly reduced. The dealer stated that he would have to replace the instrument cluster at the cost of $369. As of March 20, 2009, the vehicle has not been repaired. The manufacturer did not assist. The failure mileage was 44,000 and current mileage was 51,000. Updated 12/8/09 updated 12/09/09

- Bloomington, IN, USA

Jan 012009

LeSabre 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Buick Lesabre. While driving 50 mph, the contact noticed that the fuel gauge and tachometer dial stopped working. The entire instrument panel failed. The dealer stated that the vehicle could still be driven. The contact stated that it was a safety hazard not knowing how much fuel is in the vehicle while driving. The failure and current mileages were 42,000. Updated 02/05/09 updated 02/09/09.

- Clifton Park, NY, USA

Nov 212008

LeSabre

My 2004 Buick Lesabre limited had about 49,000 miles when all of a sudden the gas gauge stopped working. It is most often pegged in the 6 O'clock position, which also is affecting the heat gauge. I called Buick, after conferring with my mechanic who assured me it was the instrument cluster and not the fuel sensor in the tank. Buick made it sound as if they were going to fix the problem if I jumped through their hoops and take it to a dealer and pay $85 to put it on the computer. The computer confirmed that it was a malfunctioning instrument cluster, after waiting a week, Buick called me back and said they were not going to fix the problem and that it was up to me to pay the over $600 to replace the cluster. I have not done so as of yet. Now the speedometer is totally useless. The car now has 52,000 miles and on a recent road trip, the gauge quit working all together. I consider it luck that I have not gotten a ticket yet. I can live without a fuel gauge since the dash computer tells me how far I can travel before running out of gas. I cannot, however, live without a speedometer. It has now become a safety issue. I know from searching the web, including this web site, that Buick is aware of the problem. I just don't know why they are so totally against fixing it. I only have one more gauge to go before the dash is totally inoperable and that is the tachometer. I have been noticing a pulse in that recently as well so I'm sure its just a matter of time before that goes out as well.

- Youngstown, OH, USA

Oct 222008

LeSabre 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Buick Lesabre. While the contact was placing fuel into the vehicle, the fuel gauge dial on the instrument panel moved from full to empty. The dial remained on empty and would not move. While driving 70 mph, the entire instrument panel failed without warning. The dealer stated that the entire instrument panel needed to be replaced. There was no recall pertaining to this failure. The failure mileage was 92,000. Updated 12/22/08. The power windows stopped working. Updated 12/23/08.

- Boonville, NC, USA

Mar 152008

LeSabre

The contact owns a 2004 Buick Lesabre. The contact noticed that the speedometer failed. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic for an oil change and the contact informed him of the speedometer failure. The mechanic stated that the vehicle may be included in a recall. The contact called the dealer and they advised him to bring them the vehicle. No repairs have been made. The failure mileage was 45,500 and current mileage was 47,833.

- Webester, NY, USA

Mar 102008

LeSabre 6-cyl

Speedometer failed, dash indicator not working. Dealer, desert Buick in las vegas, refused to cover cost of replacement (est. $600-$800) yet 3 western states have sued GM over this failure, certainly a safety issue. GM has a "campaign" to fix vehicles with less than 70,000 miles but desert Buick will not fix my vehicle.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Mar 122008

LeSabre

I have several complaints. My car has never been in an accident. I have had to replace the gas tank filler neck as it cracked. My car had 45,000 some miles on it at the time. ($473) Buick said it was the result of freezing/ thawing temperatures in winter. Then my ashtray door broke - it won't stay closed on it's own. Buick wanted $300 - 400 to fix that. I'm using velcro. Then my odometer needle stopped working and just hangs. I have had to replace every light bulb in the car and the lights on the dash heating/air panel area have gone out. I have less than 55,000 miles on the car now and all this happened before it hit 50,000 miles. This is a $35,000 car retail -come on Buick - lets do better.

- Lenxa, KS, USA

Jan 052008

LeSabre

Driving my car around 45 miles per hour when the speedometer needle began to climb without any more acceleration to the gas. The needle went past the 140 mph mark and then bottomed out hanging completely still. After turning off the car it remained hanging until a couple weeks later then it would begin to climb but never reached the correct speed. (I have the mph image on my windshield that reveals my speed-which still works). The needle on my speedometer continues to fluctuate or remain frozen each time I drive my car-it never matches the mph image on my windshield. Thankfully I have this image, or it could of caused serious braking or panic the first time this happened and the speedometer was telling me I was going over 140 when I actually I was not.

- Canton, SD, USA

Dec 212007

LeSabre 6-cyl

No crashes or accidents as of yet. The instrument cluster on my 2004 Buick Lesabre went bad resulting in a not true mph reading causing potential speeding in slower zones.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Jun 152006

LeSabre 6-cyl

Experienced failure of heat gauge, then failure of gas gauge, now failure of speedometer.

- Cedar Park, TX, USA

Mar 272007

LeSabre 6-cyl

The speedometer and tachometer on my 2004 Buick Lesabre failed to register at all on one occasion, and the tachometer registered erroneously high readings on another occasion. The instrument cluster was replaced at the dealer; since the warranty had expired some two months earlier, it cost me $330 for the replacement. The old part was not made available to me at all. Since I saw a television news report just today of other speedometer failures in GM cars and trucks, and since the report suggested submitting a report, I decided to do so even though my make and model of car was not mentioned.

- Pocatello, ID, USA

Feb 252007

LeSabre

Shimmy in steering column. Recommended tires be rotated and balanced. Did not correct problem. Appox. 6 months after purchase, noticed electrical odor when heat button on seat was turned on. Now seat belt on driver's side sticks when it recoils. Noise under hood. Unable to determine cause. Cluster went out and none of the gauges work except the odometer. This is a 2004 Lesabre with 57,000 miles.

- Millbrook, AL, USA