Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2006 Buick Rainier has a lot going for it and just a few issues that keep it from making our "best vehicles" list.

The good news is the SUV has a quiet interior (thanks to triple door seals, acoustic laminate glass, and thicker sound-absorbing pads), a low number of overall complaints, and a RWD system which offers good balance and handling.

Unfortunately, it received poor safety ratings in crash tests, owners report that the gas gauge is unreliable, and there was a large recall for melting power window switches.

So close, Buick. So close.

2006 Buick Rainier fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Buick Rainier:

2006 Buick Rainier Owner Comments

Jun 072012

Rainier 6-cyl

The fuel sensor for my 2006 Buick Rainier started to malfunction approximately two years ago. I had it diagnosed by GM dealer, king Chevrolet Buick GMC of longmont, Colorado and they informed me the car needed a new fuel sensor. The fuel gauge indicates the tank is empty, when actually full. We decided not to correct the problem, due to the cost. The Buick ran out of gas numerous times throughout the last 2 years. Three days ago the car stalled on interstate 25 with passengers on board. We towed it back to king Chevrolet Buick GMC, longmont, co. And now diagnosed with a faulty fuel pump with an estimated cost of $1400 to correct the fuel pump/sensor problem. Each time the car was diagnosed by the GM dealer, not a word was mentioned by staff/technicians about the known fuel component failure. I discovered this issue after searching the internet, yesterday. I find it hard to believe that this serious safety hazard is not publicly acknowledged by GM Corp and its dealers and a recall for these vehicles has not occurred. Seems GM Corp and king Chevrolet Buick GMC have no concern for consumer safety.

- Longmont, CO, USA

Feb 202009

The fuel gauge stopped working and the check engine light came on at about 65K miles in February 2009. I took the vehicle to the dealer where I purchased and was told that the fuel sensor inside the gas tank had failed and that the repair would not be covered under warranty because the 60K miles had been exceeded. Not being able to afford this costly repair has forced me to continue to use the trip meter on the odometer as a way to estimate my fuel level. It is now 4 years later and I have never received any notice of recall or service notice from the manufacturer or dealer. The vehicle now has over 125K miles and apparently no longer qualifies for the offer from GM of splitting the repair cost with the customer. I have not received any notification from GM or my dealer of any offer of assistance with this issue. GM obviously installed faulty equipment and the fact that they expect their so called valued customer to pay at all for correcting this type of issue is not good business practice. I guess that I'm not that valued a customer as I brought this issue to their attention in 2009, repair was denied under warranty and I have never received any service notice regarding this issue.

- Baker City, OR, USA