2003 Buick Regal steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Buick Regal:

2003 Buick Regal Owner Comments

Mar 082016

On the early morning of 03/08/2016 around 5:50am on my way to work, the car lost all power as I was trying to turn left on to a county road. I was able to steer the car out of traffic coming from the opposite direction and almost went down the ditch due to the steering was very hard to turn. I put the car in neutral and restart the car continuing to get to my destination. At the next intersection, this happened again as soon as I used the turn signal (I was turning right this time). I restart the car again after put it in neutral. This problem is now will occur each time I use either turn signal left or right. I consider this is a safety problem because accident can occur if someone didn't know how to react when it happen the 1st time on a busy road.

- Frankfort, IN, USA

Aug 032015

Regal 6-cyl

My ignition key wouldn't come to off position when I turn off the engine. Key wouldn't come out from the ignition cylinder and I had to leave the key in the car and manually lock the car. As a result it would drain the battery and the car is under a high risk of car being stolen and at the times the steering would get locked. Thank you

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Mar 052014

Engine died while signaling a left turn going about 45 mph. Almost rear ended. Changed ignition switch module. No repeat recurrence.

- Anchorage, AK, USA

Oct 052004

Regal 6-cyl

At night if the high beam lights are on, and I meet a vehicle while moving through a right curve, the dimmer switch cannot be activated because it hits the back of the steering wheel. Since this occurs almost every time I drive at night to go home, I'm afraid it could blind another driver and cause an accident. I have gotten bad reactions from other drivers when I can't dim the lights and meet them on the road. (I don't want to be the victim of road rage.) I have experienced this problem since I bought the vehicle in 2004. The switch broke a few years back and it was replaced, but the new one still had the same problem. The dealership said that was the only model of switch in his catalog. It has a design flaw. It the turn signal handle was designed to be push away from the steering wheel instead of pulling it toward the steering wheel, there would be no problem.

- Roxboro, NC, USA

Feb 022007

Regal 6-cyl

Steering/linkage/drive shaft problem at 31,000 miles/3 years 11/06; 1/07. 2 occurrences of loud clunking noise when backing and turning out of driveway or any parking space. Does not happen every time. First time dealer lubed intermediate drive shaft, which cured problem for couple of months. Second time dealer could not hear noise, but said they would lube same part again. Noise was not fixed.

- Conroe, TX, USA

Jul 072004

Regal 6-cyl

The intermediate steering shaft became loose, making it difficult to steer, especially on slower speed. The problem continued.

- Catskill, NY, USA