NHTSA — Electronic Stability Control Problems

3.7

2011 Buick Regal brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Buick Regal:

2011 Buick Regal Owner Comments

Sep 212016

Regal

"stabili trak needs to be serviced" light comes on and causes immediate loss of engine power. This has become very dangerous and is no longer a safety feature but a hazard when driving. This has happened several times and been taken to dealerships at least 5 times, with no fix. They cannot duplicate the problem but the car continues to have the issue. This is a huge safety hazard when traveling and I have been forced to pull over and shut off the car in high traffic areas due to continued brake pressure and loss of power. This problem occurs mostly on highway travel but has happened on city streets as well.

- Odenton, MD, USA

Apr 132015

Regal

The contact owns a 2011 Buick Regal. The contact stated that the stability control warning indicator randomly flashed. In addition, upon making a right turn, the vehicle hesitated, shook, and vibrated as if it would stall. The vehicle was taken to two different dealers several times, but the failure was unable to be replicated. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 12,000.

- Madison Height, VA, USA

Aug 162016

Regal

I was driving on a busy street got to red light everything was fine until the light turned green I pressed the gas peddle and then my car just shut off completly.I had to restart the engine then it drove very slugish im just glade I wasnt in a crash

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Feb 292016

Regal

I have owned my Regal since 2011. As I accelerate the car would shudder and shake, then I would get a service stabilli trac message followed by a message stating that the engine power has been reduced. After I have the issue it will reset itself after restarting and then will run fine for a while. I called on star on several occasions and they told me that it has an engine misfire or the stability trac needs to be serviced or the electronic throttle body is malfunctioning. I have taken the car to the dealer and they tried to fix without any luck. I think part of the trouble with fixing it is the fact that the computer resets itself and therefore they can't find a code. The other issue with trying to fix is the fact that the car only has the issue when it is 35-40 degrees outside and below. Other issues I have had, driver's seat heater not working, outside trunk release not working, passenger side seat belt does not connect properly and of course the recalls for the driver's seat bolt and exterior turn signals. Now for the bad news for myself is that the car is out of warranty. Given the fact that I have read many similar complaints and most of them not being resolved, I find it very hard to bring myself to take it to the dealer and have them guess to what the fix may be at my expense.

- Hunstersville, NC, USA

Jan 082016

Regal

53000 miles. When car is in motion. Car goes to low power more and check stabili-track message comes on. Car shakes bad at idle, idles too high, (almost to a point where brakes won't hold at a stop). Sh*t down and restart car goes back to normal conditions for short puerile of time. Check engine light comes on and code for throttle body malfunction is detected. Called Buick service number and was told it would be under warranty. Made appointment with dealership checked code and determined same code issue and it was not covered under warranty. Did. Not have them fix it yet. Cost is excessive and was told under warranty by manufacturer. Waiting on customer service call back. Car is unsafe to drive. Have seen many similar complaints but have seen nothing done by Buick or ntsb.

- Rockford, IL, USA

Jan 302015

Regal

The contact owns a 2011 Buick Regal. The contact stated that the vehicle started to shake and stalled intermittently. The contact stated that the failure occurred during cold weather conditions. In addition, the contact stated that the vehicle failed to accelerate over 36 mph. The contact also stated that the vehicle would accelerate independently intermittently. The contact mentioned that the electronic stability control, the engine and the oil warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 44,000.

- Elizabeth, NJ, USA

Nov 142011

Regal

Purchased car in summer of 2011. During the first cold weather car would give a warning to service stabiliti trac and that the engine power had been reduced. I decided to pull over and restart the vehicle and it would reset the computer and the warning lights would turn off. I took this to the dealer and they could not replicate the issue. I started to let the car warm up in the winter and this seemed to help until recently. Within the last few weeks I have been having similar problems even after letting the car warm up. The car will automatically reduce engine power even while on the highway making it difficult to get out of the way of traffic. After these incidents the check engine light will come on but will go off after turning the car off and restarting. I have contacted onstar and they tell me the same thing that the warning lights do. I have also had issues with the car trying to accelerate on its own while at a stoplight. After going to the dealer and having them not able to diagnose the problem or try to repair it and not fix the issues, I feel at a loss of what to do at this point. I do not have the time or money to keep going to the dealer only to leave with the same problems. I would think that the manufacturer would be more inclined to fix these issue before people are injured or any fatalities occur due to their negligence. I feel that after reading about other people's similar issues that this is something that should call for a recall.

- Grand Ledge, MI, USA

Dec 142012

Regal 4-cyl

While traveling 55 miles per hour on the high way the car shut off causing me to force the wheel on the road. I reported this and was given rental cars for the noises and belts to be examined. The noise subsided a few weeks only to return when driving about 45 miles per hour and the car cut off again. This time in traffic March 2013. The third time was in April 2013. The last time was June 16, 2013. It has been in the shop over 45 days. Nothing was told to me was wrong. Then why is it shutting off while im driving?

- Fayetteville, NC, USA