NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2011 Buick Regal (Page 1 of 2)

2011 Buick Regal electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Buick Regal:

2011 Buick Regal Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 212016

Regal

The contact owns a 2011 Buick Regal. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V517000 (electrical system, seats). The part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Santa Rosa, CA, USA

Jun 072016

Regal

The contact owns a 2011 Buick Regal. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V517000 (electrical system, seats); however, the part to do the recall repair was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Romulus, MI, USA

Sep 202016

Regal

My daughter drives our 2011 Buick Regal cxl that we purchased in February 2016. In the last several month the vehicle has stalled, steering locks up, brakes go completely out, it doesn't have an electrical and because it has an electric emergency brake there is no way for her to stop. The first two times she was driving around town and the last time it happened was last week at 70 mph on the highway. She almost hit the car in front of her. Once it coasted to a stop she was able to start it and continue on. This GM vehicle 2011 Buick Regal is a death trap waiting to happen. Don't buy a Buick!!! I picked it up from the local Buick dealer yesterday and they can't do anything. Once the vehicle is restarted after one of these incidents the computers automatically resets and wiped clean of codes without any trace of a problem or issue. All the errors completely disappear. The service person at the dealership asked me if I had a decoder I could plug in right after it happens. This problem is all over the internet and Buick does nothing. You can bet that a GM executive would decline an offer for one of his/her family members to drive it for a while. Make no mistake these cars shut down completely without any warning and absolutely nothing works at the moment. No steering, no brakes, stalled engine, and no electrical. Absolutely nothing!!! all Buick says base on online comments is sorry. Sorry for what" killing people? not giving a damn about my family or yours" if they were sorry they'd step up and do the right thing before its too late and someone dies. Insurance companies are probably paying out lots of money to their insured and the people they hit, injure or kill. I bet they would love to hear more about this issue. Be carefully what you buy because you might be surprised by your car right before you crash. I've always likes GM and Buick but not anymore.

- Saint Cloud, MN, USA

Jul 012016

Regal

The contact owns a 2011 Buick Regal. The contact stated that the manufacturer sent notification of an unknown electrical system recall. It was unknown when the remedy and parts would be supplied to the dealer. The contact was unable to determine when the vehicle would be repaired. In addition, the driver's side electrical functions failed and the contact was unable to adjust the seat, which was stuck in an upright position. Various warning indicators and gauges flickered on the instrument panel. The vehicle was unable to be driven safely due to the multiple failures. The VIN and failure mileage were not available.

- Wedgefield, SC, USA

Sep 122016

Regal

The contact owns a 2011 Buick Regal. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V517000 (electrical system, seats); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Plymouth, IN, USA

Aug 302016

Regal

Vehicle cut off while I was driving. Loss all control while turning a corner in town

- Cape Girardeau, MO, USA

Apr 132015

Regal

The contact owns a 2011 Buick Regal. The contact stated that the stability control warning indicator randomly flashed. In addition, upon making a right turn, the vehicle hesitated, shook, and vibrated as if it would stall. The vehicle was taken to two different dealers several times, but the failure was unable to be replicated. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 12,000.

- Madison Height, VA, USA

May 302016

Regal

The contact owns a 2011 Buick Regal. While driving 35 mph, the front driver's seat adjusted independently. The contact stated that there was an abnormal smoke odor coming from the front driver's seat. The vehicle was towed to the dealer to be diagnosed and repaired. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 16V517000 (electrical system, seats); however, the part to do the recall repair was unavailable. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact was concerned that the dealer had not returned the vehicle. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 93,200.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Mar 202016

Regal

The contact owned a 2011 Buick Regal. While the vehicle was parked with the engine turned off, the engine compartment caught fire. The fire department was able to extinguish the fire. No injuries were sustained. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was towed to a collision center where it was diagnosed that the wiring harness caught fire and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was destroyed. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V517000 (electrical system, seats). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Jun 112016

Regal

The contact owns a 2011 Buick Regal. While driving 20 mph, the vehicle stalled and the steering wheel seized without warning. The vehicle was able to restart. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 21,200.

- Greeley, CO, USA

Feb 062016

Regal

While driving the car, it stalled and cut off while in the midst of making a right hand turn. All power was on temporarily but the engine was unable to turn over after cutting out. The dealership is unable to diagnose the issue, and apparently the issue has occurred before to the previous owner. The car is still under a 5 year 100,000 powertrain warranty. It appears no proper diagnosis has occurred and this issue has been occurring on the car since approx. 52,000 miles current millage is 75,900. I have referenced previous tsb NHTSA id 10037218 to the dealership and have received no response as of yet as to the underlying issue. I have discovered other owners having similar issues on websites such as carcomplaints.com and various Buick Regal forums. This appears to me as a major safety issue as when the car shuts off it does not power back on, and it cuts seemingly randomly.

- Murrietta, CA, USA

Sep 232015

Regal

The driver side light bulb & connector melted. Bulb can not be replaced because housing is damaged. Contacted the dealer and I was told this is not covered by any recalls. I would be responsible for any parts. This is definitely a factory defect and car is not safe to drive. The only way to fix this per the dealer is to replace complete headlamp assembly.

- Dartmouth, MA, USA

Jun 022015

Regal

The check/service engine light comes on. After a few days it goes away. I have had the codes read and the issue cannot be determined. Sometimes the acceleration from stop does not respond timely. It makes it difficult when merging on freeways. I was almost involved in a car accident when the first incident occurred due to slow response of acceleration. Maf has been clean. The a new maf was installed. Nothing has changed. Also I am not sure if this is related but I cannot run my air conditioner until the car has been running for a few miles. If I do the compressor will make an awful noise. An odor has started to come from the vents when the air is not running.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Aug 192015

Regal

The car stalled today after reversing out of my parking spot and shifting into drive. This is the 3rd time in my 14 months of owning the car that this has happened. It only happens right after turning the car on. The steering goes out and the engine stalls, but the electronics remain on, it's a lot like what happens when you run out of fuel but my tank is full. The dealer cannot replicate the issue and will not do anything. They claim they've never heard of this issue before.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Apr 162015

Regal

The contact owns a 2011 Buick Regal. The contact stated that the front driver side turn signal, brake, and hazard lighting failed to illuminate sporadically. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the technician was unable to find a failure. The light bulbs were changed, but the failures persisted. The manufacturer was made aware of the failures. The failure mileage was 95,115.

- Bear , DE, USA

Oct 152014

Regal

I bought this 2011 Buick Regal with about 53000 miles on it from a private seller. From the day I got it the stereo, clock, navigation have been a problem. The clock doesn't hold the time, stereo turns off my itself or sometimes makes a loud pop noise and doesn't work. The navigation is in the state of Washington, I live in N.Y. the drivers heated seat doesn't work. The bumper to bumper warranty was up 3000 mile ago, at this point. Later, the timing chain needed to be replaced. The motor made a loud knock and would surge, hesitate and stall. With the timing being off, the transmission wouldn't downshift and was hard to stop the car. Two months later the same symptoms re-occurred. The dealer charged me to diagnose and told me it was down 2 quarts of oil. They changed the oil 2 months prior. Now, I noticed the rear brakes are dragging and don't release sometimes. GM, Buick and two dealer won't do anything about any of this. An expensive car that is barely years old with all these problems. I've seen the service bulletins on all off these problems. No help from GM, just index card readers from the philippines who apologize every thirty seconds and make excuses!

- Amherst, NY, USA

Jan 282015

Regal 4-cyl

While stopped at a traffic light, the affected vehicle's throttle body failed, causing sever shaking, revving of the engine to approximately 1500 RPM, and eventually causing the vehicle to drive itself forward while my foot was firmly depressing the brake. It propelled, out of my control, approximately 3 feet forward. Had I not put the vehicle immediately into neutral while this was occurring, the vehicle would have travel further, out of my control. Had someone been in front of me at the intersection, or if I had not put the car in neutral, preventing the vehicle from entering the intersection, a vehicular collision would have occurred. The exact cause of the failure, per the dealership work order, was "throttle body internal intermittent short."

- Oxford Township, MI, USA

Oct 032014

Regal 4-cyl

The passenger side light bulb melted. Bulb can not be replaced because housing is damaged. Contact the dealer and I was told this is not covered by any recalls. I would be responsible for any parts. This is definitely a factory defect and car is not safe to drive. I have ordered part and I'm still waiting for replacement from dealer.

- Somerset, MA, USA

Jul 242014

Regal 4-cyl

Well first there are a few complaints, first few months, car alarm going off at random, then trunk popped at random, brought in two separate occasions to dealer for service was said to be fixed. Then left signal outage few occasions brought in with the other work, had no idea about the bulbs till this site, then radio on and off intermittent, battery or other car dies charges will drive all day end of day after a battery jump stutters as driving or feels like going to just die. Got home on 7/21/2014 and noticed all the recalls on news had no clue it was this make, model, year, etc., my 18 has driven on numerous occasions (god forbid) ! also I'm reading where this make takes off at random has happened numerous times in drive thru assumed I hadn't applied enough pressure to brake. I'm furious and honestly with young adult drivers scared to death now! ohhh and never received any recall info on this vehicle ever! oh and my key broke to only thing is it bent and had replaced ! and seat was loose also.

- East Haven , CT, USA

Jun 022014

Regal 4-cyl

When starting the car in the morning, it acts dead, but the battery is okay. After a few tries it does start but then I have the dash light behaving crazy - emergency flashers on and various messages in my center dash. I reset everything to normal and am okay. Upon a restart later in the day, things are usually okay. Being a senior citizen I don't go very far but yesterday, as I was entering a traffic circle, the engine suddenly quit, a huge trailer truck was bearing down on me and luckily the car started back up just in time. The Buick dealer (darby) treated me rudely over a minor problem so now I don't know where to go or what to do for help on this issue.

- North Port, FL, USA