2.8

2011 Buick Regal engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Buick Regal:

2011 Buick Regal Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 272016

Regal

The contact owns a 2011 Buick Regal. While driving and while stationary, the vehicle shut off unexpectedly. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was able to restart successfully. Later, when backing out of a parking space at 2 mph, the failure recurred. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 42,000. The VIN was not available.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Aug 302016

Regal

Vehicle cut off while I was driving. Loss all control while turning a corner in town

- Cape Girardeau, MO, USA

Aug 042016

Regal

There have been issues with the engine starting which is apart of a class suit but has not been solidified. I am angered as to why my car keeps not starting when in position. I have to try to start my vehicle several times before actually starting. Now I take it in and its still an engine issue which they said it was the camshaft. My local dealership has no loaner vehicle and im now without a vehicle. So upsetting.

- Live Oak, TX, USA

Feb 172016

Regal

The contact owns a 2011 Buick Regal. While driving at an unknown speed, the engine lost power, stalled, and the steering seized without warning. The vehicle was able to restart. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the camshaft failed. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the throttle body failed. The vehicle was repaired and the failure recurred. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 72,000...updated 08/23/16

- Detroit, MI, USA

Feb 152014

Regal

I first got my car with 20K miles on it. Drove it for a month and the stability control warning came on. The car stalled and I had to restart it, only for it to do it a couple more times. Very scary!!! this needs to be taken care of, as I bought a lemon! took it to the dealership as it was under warranty and they said they fixed it. Happened again a few months later! apparently they didn't fix it. GM needs to identify the problem and recall this, as I see more and more complaints of the same thing! class action needs to be filed otherwise.

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Jun 112016

Regal

The contact owns a 2011 Buick Regal. While driving 20 mph, the vehicle stalled and the steering wheel seized without warning. The vehicle was able to restart. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 21,200.

- Greeley, CO, USA

Jun 082016

Regal

My brake pedal is sticking causing my car to stall and my cruise control not to work, I have to manually pull my break pedal back up after I use my brakes while driving. My car is also just dying with no warning, while driving down the interstate. My lights, and radio will stay on when this happens, but my air conditioner and engine will cut off. It has happened over a handful of times in the last 3 weeks, it's gotten to the point that I am scared to drive it anywhere.

- New Madrid, MO, USA

Feb 132016

Regal

While approaching an intersection at approximately 35 mph my 2011 Buick Regal with less than 48,000 completely stalled out. No warning at all. All the lights were on in the dash including a stabili trac. Light and a message that read engine power reduced. I then blared my horn and cruised thru the intersection on a red light thankful it just turned red and opposing traffic hadn't started across yet. I was finally able to stop the car that had absolutely no power steering and ABS was turned off and sh*t the car off. I waited a few minutes until my nerves calmed down and restarted the car all the lights were off except the engine light. Drove the car home and called the dealership, who then had it towed to them. By that time the computer restarted itself and no check engine light was on, with that no reading as to what the problem was at the dealership and I was left being looked at as if I didn't know what I was talking about. This happened approximately 3 months ago and I have had the same problem a total of 3 times since then. When is Buick going to step up to the plate and finally do something about this" are they waiting for someone to be killed first? I've read this same problem with the same car numerous times on numerous sites...where is our help???"

- Phila, PA, USA

Mar 052016

Regal

Car stalls while driving on the highway, tremendously dangerous to my family and other drivers. This happens without warning and no check engine lights, the car becomes completely unresponsive but all the lights are still on. This scenario is hazardous to the traveling public on all roadways!

- Fayetteville, GA, USA

Feb 292016

Regal

I have owned my Regal since 2011. As I accelerate the car would shudder and shake, then I would get a service stabilli trac message followed by a message stating that the engine power has been reduced. After I have the issue it will reset itself after restarting and then will run fine for a while. I called on star on several occasions and they told me that it has an engine misfire or the stability trac needs to be serviced or the electronic throttle body is malfunctioning. I have taken the car to the dealer and they tried to fix without any luck. I think part of the trouble with fixing it is the fact that the computer resets itself and therefore they can't find a code. The other issue with trying to fix is the fact that the car only has the issue when it is 35-40 degrees outside and below. Other issues I have had, driver's seat heater not working, outside trunk release not working, passenger side seat belt does not connect properly and of course the recalls for the driver's seat bolt and exterior turn signals. Now for the bad news for myself is that the car is out of warranty. Given the fact that I have read many similar complaints and most of them not being resolved, I find it very hard to bring myself to take it to the dealer and have them guess to what the fix may be at my expense.

- Hunstersville, NC, USA

Feb 252016

Regal

While driving down the road yesterday, at around 50 miles per hour, our 2011 Buick Regal, with only 56,000 miles on it, lost power out of the blue and would not drive over 30 miles per hour. It apparently was in reduced power mode due to a faulty throttle body. Thankfully we were not on the expressway, as this would have been a very dangerous situation given the roads were very icy yesterday. Apparently, many 2010 - 2012 Buick Regals are covered for this with a special coverage adjustment so it is a known problem. We believe our vehicle should be included in this adjustment as well. As I mentioned earlier, this could be a very dangerous situation and we believe it needs to be addressed.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Feb 062016

Regal

While driving the car, it stalled and cut off while in the midst of making a right hand turn. All power was on temporarily but the engine was unable to turn over after cutting out. The dealership is unable to diagnose the issue, and apparently the issue has occurred before to the previous owner. The car is still under a 5 year 100,000 powertrain warranty. It appears no proper diagnosis has occurred and this issue has been occurring on the car since approx. 52,000 miles current millage is 75,900. I have referenced previous tsb NHTSA id 10037218 to the dealership and have received no response as of yet as to the underlying issue. I have discovered other owners having similar issues on websites such as carcomplaints.com and various Buick Regal forums. This appears to me as a major safety issue as when the car shuts off it does not power back on, and it cuts seemingly randomly.

- Murrietta, CA, USA

Jan 082016

Regal

53000 miles. When car is in motion. Car goes to low power more and check stabili-track message comes on. Car shakes bad at idle, idles too high, (almost to a point where brakes won't hold at a stop). Sh*t down and restart car goes back to normal conditions for short puerile of time. Check engine light comes on and code for throttle body malfunction is detected. Called Buick service number and was told it would be under warranty. Made appointment with dealership checked code and determined same code issue and it was not covered under warranty. Did. Not have them fix it yet. Cost is excessive and was told under warranty by manufacturer. Waiting on customer service call back. Car is unsafe to drive. Have seen many similar complaints but have seen nothing done by Buick or ntsb.

- Rockford, IL, USA

Jun 022015

Regal

The check/service engine light comes on. After a few days it goes away. I have had the codes read and the issue cannot be determined. Sometimes the acceleration from stop does not respond timely. It makes it difficult when merging on freeways. I was almost involved in a car accident when the first incident occurred due to slow response of acceleration. Maf has been clean. The a new maf was installed. Nothing has changed. Also I am not sure if this is related but I cannot run my air conditioner until the car has been running for a few miles. If I do the compressor will make an awful noise. An odor has started to come from the vents when the air is not running.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Aug 192015

Regal

The car stalled today after reversing out of my parking spot and shifting into drive. This is the 3rd time in my 14 months of owning the car that this has happened. It only happens right after turning the car on. The steering goes out and the engine stalls, but the electronics remain on, it's a lot like what happens when you run out of fuel but my tank is full. The dealer cannot replicate the issue and will not do anything. They claim they've never heard of this issue before.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Jul 062015

Regal

The contact owns a 2011 Buick Regal.while driving approximately 45 mph, the check engine warning light illuminated and the vehicle suddenly stalled. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the timing change failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 107,000.

- Wixom, MI, USA

Jun 242015

Regal

The contact owns a 2011 Buick Regal. While the vehicle was being inspected by an independent mechanic, it was discovered that the cam shaft position actuator solenoid valve needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was not included in a manufacturer's recall related to the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 22,775.

- Milford, CT, USA

Jun 102015

Regal

I was driving down the highway, 78 mph in rush hour and my engine died/no power, no brakes, no steering. Heavy traffic, no control. I made it to shoulder, very difficult to ease the vehicle over. No warning lights. Engine just died. No control. Once the car stopped after rolling at a high speed, I tried to start my engine. Engine started, and able to proceed. Next day, similar incident happened I was turning a corner. The same thing happened, I was going a lower speed. I had less control after the engine died, no warning lights etc.very difficult to maneuver. I turned the key and it started. I took it to the dealer. They said needed oil change, and 3 quarts low on oil. And I was 1000 miles over. They were sending me home with oil change, I pleaded to look into further as I was in fear of my life driving. The service sheet indicated the car had multiple cam actuator system failure codes. The service manager said low on oil, and was safe, he went to get the car. The car stalled on him...no power, no alarms, no service engine soon lights, etc. Eventually, I convinced them to give me a vehicle to drive after initial denial. 1 week later, they have found nothing wrong. Said exhaust cam shaft actuator was broken. They replaced the timing chains, the actuators, and selenoids. Still no explanation why my car died driving down the road at 78mph they said sometimes it takes 3 failures or key cycles before an alarm will be set. Not sure if they truly found the problem so they have asked to drive my car for several days to see if the default continues to show up. I am very concerned that an engine should stop while traveling at high speeds 3 times before an alarm system or warning would ever be given to the driver that there may be a problem. I am still very concerned and am not sure if I should be driving this vehicle or not for fear of my life.

- St. Johns, MI, USA

Jun 052015

Regal

Engine keeps stalling., it happens at intersections and randomlly after accelerating. The car dies. I have had this checked by dealers and several mechanics. Very loud noise when vehicle starts up. Runs rough and does not accelerate correctly. Shakes whenever idle and turns off randomlly. Possible ECM software update needed based on internet search for the similiar issue with this model and year. Dealer was unable to assist or even comment on any updates to software without going in and paying for inspection again. Fuses, air intake, O2 sensors filers, everything has been checked.

- Belleville , MI, USA

May 042015

Regal

Engine stalling in intersection, and in a parking lot. Was attempting to cross an intersection and car just died, started it again it moved very roughly and died again. It was hot outside and I had the air running. No dtc codes present. It has now happened several more times while just letting off the gas and pulling into a parking spot. It's very random and I am afraid to have my wife or daughter drive the vehicle and have it die in a cross road or intersection. Lots of posts on similar issues, but no recalls from Buick.....will someone have to die first?

- Williamsport, OH, USA