2.5

hardy worth mentioning

2002 Buick Rendezvous electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Buick Rendezvous:

2002 Buick Rendezvous Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Mar 272009

Rendezvous

While traveling home for spring break. My 2002 Buick Rendezvous experienced electrical problems and stalled on the highway. I purchased this vehicle in December 2008 and it is still under warranty. I had the vehicle towed from stockton ca to tracy ca where it remains awaiting a service authorization to be fixed from my contract holder. The mechanic at the tracy dealership stated the battery was dead, the oil was very low and that the engine had internal problems that would require him to dismantle or replace the engine. This particular vehicle is listed in many complaints in the data base here and has serious mechanical / electrical issues. To date March 29, 2009 I am awaiting service and a resolution. Nothing has been done to correct the issue to date.

- Carson, CA, USA

Jan 102008

Rendezvous

The contact owns a 2002 Buick Rendezvous. While driving at an unknown speed, the security system warning indicator illuminated and caused the automatic windows, doors, and trunk to lock. The door locks intermittently moved from the locked to unlocked position. The contact could not exit the vehicle and attempted to place it into park and turn off the ignition. However, she was still unable to exit the vehicle. In addition, the radio lock button enabled and she could not move it from the unlock position. The dealer input a code that unlocked all the components that were affected by the security system. The ignition cylinder was repaired and the contact removed a fuse in an attempt to correct the failures. Currently, the trunk is still locked and the failures persist. The failure and current mileages were less than 100,000.

- Detroit, MI, USA

May 152006

Rendezvous

Car just shuts off will not start for 15 min. Then runs ruff after 30 min will start and run fine up to a week or a month no will not run at all. It is the wiring from BCM to fuel tank and now BCM is bad reading some foreign language also smell gas after fill up.

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Mar 022009

Rendezvous

I have owned my 2002 Buick Rendezvous for less than 2 yrs and I have had to replace 2 wheel bearings and now I have blown a head gasket. Less than a month ago I had to replace the alternator and battery. The driver side window fell in less than a yr ago and I have electrical problems with it constantly. Including the alarm and security going off for no reason at all.

- Norwood, NY, USA

Apr 072008

Rendezvous

Changed battery in 2002 Buick Rendezvous. Now cluster is broke. Odometer displays error (no mileage). Cost to repair is >$800. Changing battery should not result in this repair. Need repaired to get plates and insurance.

- Costa Mesa, CA, USA

Oct 182008

Rendezvous

The rear hatch door unlocks by itself from the body computer problem when you first start the car also other things that are controlled by this unit work or don't work including air bags sys outside temp air cond. Cooling fans among others. If you shut the car off and turn it on it goes away until you shut the car off.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Oct 102008

Rendezvous

The contact owns a 2002 Buick Rendezvous. The contact noticed that the power locks were inoperative, which prevented him from exiting and locking the doors. Secondly, he noticed that the instrument panel gauges displayed inaccurate readings. Thirdly, he noticed that the battery warning indicator illuminated on the instrument control panel. He took the vehicle to the dealer and they replaced the battery and two modules in the electrical system. One week after the repair, the failure resurfaced. The VIN was unknown. The failure and current mileages were 66,000.

- Burdett, NY, USA

Mar 162008

Rendezvous

I own a 2002 Buick Rendezvous, it is the worst car I ever bought, transmission broke, ABS is damaged, cooling system has been repaired several times dashboard lights are out of control, condenser is cracked.

- Maple Grove, MN, USA

Aug 312008

Rendezvous

2002 Buick Rendezvous. Dealership has informed me that BCM needs replacement. Internet searches show me that this has been a problem for many owners. This is a very serious problem & I am just relieved that my family did not suffer any serious physical harm from the incident. Car packed to bring son back to college. All of a sudden, while traveling at highway speed, all electrical controls seemed to stop. Radio cut out, all windows became inoperable, air conditioning stopped, back hatch inoperable. Control panel gave security alert and locked message across radio display. Biggest problem was fact that we were traveling at high speed on interstate on a very hot day. No operable windows and no a.C. had to exit over to shoulder. Took short spurts of stopping car to manually open doors for air, until we could return to our house. In the two weeks proceeding this incident, we had some sort of coil replaced in our steering column, and the car's battery replaced (already had replaced last year). Car only has 77,000 miles on it. Also were a victim of the Rendezvous' cracked A/C condenser about 2 yrs ago. This car seems to have some major problems and there are tsbs on this stuff, but no recalls. This latest problem with the BCM was very scary and dangerous! even though getting replaced at nearly $1,000 to me, I am afraid of driving this car on the highway. It was like the car was possessed.

- Medford Lakes, NJ, USA

Jul 102008

Rendezvous

2002 Buick Rendezvous gas gauge / sending unit failure gauge shows tank full when full but also registers full when tank is near empty. Ran out of fuel in heavy traffic but had no collision. GM has no fix for the problem.

- Forest Acres, SC, USA

Jul 152008

Rendezvous

Multiple issues with regard to 2002 Buick Rendezvous: With less than 50,000 miles, I have had to replace the onboard computer ($900), left front hub assembly ($1100) and A/C condenser ($1300). Among other issues related to design defects, the odometer is located inside the onboard computer, so the vehicle was in the repair shop for 5 days while the part was shipped to California (from Virginia) for repair. Recalls have not been issued for these parts, though there are numerous complaints on web forums (recommend initiating google search for "2002 Buick Rendezvous complaint").

- Chantilly, VA, USA

Jul 252008

Rendezvous

We have a Buick Rendezvous. The car's interior lights go off without warning, and it becomes impossible to see dashboard lights, including speedometer, at night. Other times, horn will start blaring for several minutes with no warning...almost caused an accident yesterday...it startles anyone around. Now, when we turn off the car, the headlights won't go off at all, no matter what we try. Will have a dead battery next time we go to drive the car (tomorrow morning).

- Akron, OH, USA

Jan 102008

Manifold leak/ electrical.

- Tuscaloosa , AL, USA

Nov 012007

Rendezvous

Alarm goes off any time you lock doors, can't open locks without using keys so can't open rear doors to get my kids out. Light will not shut off, exterior thermostat is inaccurate, A/C does not work at all times. Door unlock buttons do not work all the time. Car goes into security mode, so no A/C, no clock, no stereo. Trunk pops open by itself. The interior door alarm won't go off even when door is closed. Need to disconnect batteries at times to shut off lights.

- Wrightsville, PA, USA

Mar 152008

Rendezvous 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Buick Rendezvous. While driving approximately 70 mph on the highway at night, all of the warning lights on the dashboard started flickering. Suddenly, all of the warning lights, headlights and speed odometer shut off. She experienced difficulty driving without headlights and was unaware of the speed. The dashboard lights continued to flicker on and off. The following day, an independent mechanic diagnosed the failure and stated that the body control module needed to be replaced. The cost of repairs were $926. The manufacturer reimbursed her for $383.56 since the vehicle was not repaired at an authorized dealer. She was unable to afford the cost to repair the vehicle at the dealer. The current and failure mileages were 54,000. Updated 06/25/08. The consumer stated the problem has returned. Updated

- Clarence, NY, USA

Jan 012006

Rendezvous 6-cyl

2002 Buick Rendezvous all the lights turn off and turn back on- there is not a loss of engine power. This has happened over 50-60 times in the last year. Lost count on the previous years before that. We've been to the dealer twice and they state they can not get the problem to happen (while in the shop), and without it happening at the precise time, they can not fix the issue. It's only a matter of time until something really bad happens. We want to sell this vehicle, but I can't sell it myself knowing this will happen to the buyer. Dealer will not give us even close to a trade in value (pricing obtained from three separate sources) stating the vehicle is plagued with electrical problems.

- Victor, NY, USA

Mar 142008

Rendezvous

Starting sometime at the end of October 2007 into November of 2007 my 2002 Buick Rendezvous started having starting problems associated with the security system. Vehicle would intermittently not would be hard to start or not start at all. If jumped off the alarm system would go off. Sometimes the radio would not come on, A/C would not come on, lights would flash, etc. In late November the vehicle finally went haywire and started blowing the horn, lights blinking and lights not going off after vehicle was turned off. Disconnected battery repeatedly to reset until that would no longer work. Took it to the dealer to have it checked. Was told it was the BCM. Had BCM replaced and reprogrammed. On March 14, 2008, vehicle started doing the same things that lead up to this part being replaced. Am taking it in again this week if I can keep it started. Doing this complaint because after reading various internet blogs, forums and chats this problem seems to be a recurring problem for many 2002 Buick Rendezvous'.

- Roseland, LA, USA

Feb 272008

Rendezvous 6-cyl

On occasions my Rendezvous would make a sputtering sound when I would turn it off, then lights and radio would turn off immediately, instead of the upon opening the door. This has happen several times. Dealers explained not to worry about the problem. Anti lock brake light came on 3 days ago, it went out then came back on again. After starting the vehicle normally this morning and driving apprx 2 1/2 miles, I turned the vehicle off. Immediately my 2002 Rendezvous doors locks are automatically engaging itself in the unlock mode; the doors will not lock with or without manual control; the lights are constantly flashing; the radio is locked out. It would not allow me to start it at all. After waiting apprx 30mins and removing the fuse for the door lock it started. But once the fuse is placed back in it begin to have the same problem. This problem continues since 7:45am time now approx 4:20pm called a few dealers who wants to charge $90 per hr to look at the vehicle, unfortunately I don't have the funds. I've been treated like like an idiot when I take my vehicle in for service by a Buick dealer. Ed rinke in centerline, mi, refused to even look at my vehicle regarding the fuel tank recall. I don't want to pay hundreds of $ for a minor repair or an malfunction by the manufacturer. This vehicle was purchase in 2005 w 63,000 and now has apprx 101,000 miles.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Feb 152008

Rendezvous 6-cyl

I have experienced a series of mechanical failures on my vehicle since the year I purchased it. The latest incident was 02/15/08 wherein the lights on the vehicle console began to flash...engine coolant light, change oil, battery-the vehicle then began to slow down approaching 42mph (the car had regular maintenance on 02/08/08). This occurred on highway 680 southbound during rush hour traffic. The vehicle has been serviced repeatedly for the same issue with no remedy more than five times. I now feel at risk and feel the vehicle is a safety hazard. The car completely shut down on me 08/30/07 in triple digit heat on highway 680 northbound. I had the vehicle towed to the dealership for service. I was told the problem was a faulty fuel filter. The filter was replaced and the problem recurred about 3 or 4 weeks later. The dealership and GM tell me that since they cannot duplicate the problem, there is nothing they can do. The previous time I had my vehicle serviced for mechanical failure, my husband picked the vehicle up for repair and he experienced the same problem immediately after pulling off the delearship property. All of my services have been performed by the same dealership. All of my maintenance is current. There must be some reasonable explanation for this recurring problem, but no one seems to have an answer. I have had the computer/parts replaced twice within 6 months, fuel filters replaced, sensors replaced and a host of other items. I want to get rid of the vehicle at this point because I have to travel almost 30 miles one way to my place of employment. Since GM says there is nothing wrong with the vehicle, I should at least be able to trade the current vehicle in at the highest trade-in value and purchase a vehicle of similar design and value.

- Fairfield, CA, USA

Feb 082008

Rendezvous 6-cyl

2002 Buick Rendezvous, - sold by GM S "GM certified".. only must have been a joke. From the onset, solenoid difficulties created dangerous situation on highway, called them and spoke rather bluntly... that was after many, many calls. Wipers didn't work in the rain... would stick.. very dangerous while driving. Intake manifold gasket - cost one thousand dollars.. fuel gauge does not work. Car does not run.. get stuck for the past two months, at least three times per week. Paid four hundred dollars to replace "things".. still gets stuck.. now car won't start. Sometimes, windows don't work, car won't lock or unlock, car won't start. At this point, car is dead. BCM? who knows. Disaster car. It's a gift from god that we're not dead.

- Easton, PA, USA