2.8

2002 Buick Rendezvous electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Buick Rendezvous:

2002 Buick Rendezvous Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Mar 012006

Rendezvous 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Buick Rendezvous. While driving 45 mph, the interior lights dimmed for approximately three seconds. The dealer was unable to diagnose the failure; however, they replaced the electronic brake and traction control module along with the body control module. The failure continued. The dealer stated that the HVAC control head and the battery caused the failure. The contact stated that her husband replaced both parts and there had been no further occurrences. While driving 35 mph, the contact heard a clinking noise coming from underneath the vehicle. The vehicle then shut off without warning. The mechanic was unable to diagnose the failure. The contact took the vehicle to a different mechanic and he stated that the transmission failed. As of November 8, 2007, the mechanic had not repaired the vehicle. The contact stated that the front passenger side electronic door locks would not operate. As of November 8, 2007, the dealer had not inspected the vehicle. The failure mileage was 45,000 and current mileage was 65,000.

- Xenia, OH, USA

May 192007

Rendezvous 6-cyl

My 2002 Rendezvous was purchased mid-year 2005. At first there were only small flickers in the headlights, like blinking quickly. The auto electrician said our battery was overcharging and replaced it. About 6 months ago, my car wouldn't start, no sound at all like the battery was dead. Bought another battery and two days later it wouldn't start again. Again electrician looked it over, could find nothing. Soon my door locks began to lock and unlock by themselves even when the car was off and no one was in it. Coming home one night on a very dark road, all of my lights went out, inside and out. There was no where to pull over and no outside lights. It scared me bad. The weather sensor would say there was ice on the road when it was 95 degrees outside. When it was really hot one day some kind of lock was put on my air conditioner, power door locks and windows and I thought I'd suffocate before I got to work. The car did the sensor lock by itself. I have paid another 145 dollars to the auto electrician to try and trace what we thought was a ground fault. He ordered the electrical schematics and traced all grounds and could find nothing. The only way we could reset the computer was to unhook the battery, then hook it back up. I haven't driven this car in 6 weeks because it is so unreliable and dangerous to drive. I can't afford to keep paying people to fix something that we're not sure is the problem. From reading complaints on the internet, I'm not the only one dealing with this. Someone needs to do something before there is a bad accident stemming from this.

- Orangeburg, SC, USA

Mar 042007

Rendezvous 6-cyl

I have a 2002 Buick Rendezvous and I believe it should be recalled. We have had many problems with this car! on top of our 400 dollar a month car payment we can not afford to replace all of these problems. Our ac condenser and blower do not work properly. In fact only the two highest settings of the heater work on our car. So it's great driving hours to christmas knowing that our three young daughters will either be freezing or sweating. Next the wheel bearings went. That was going to be a very costly repair. We purchased a wheel bearing at sturdevants to help us save money. Then when that didn't fix the problem we brought it into the Buick dealership again. Only then did they tell us that they were recalled and replaced them for free. The 150 we spent personally to buy the wheel bearing? too bad GM said. The electrical unit does not work properly. The car will lose power or not start at all sometimes like the battery is dead, but then it will work fine 20 minutes later. My kids love sitting in a cold car when it's 20 below zero here in South Dakota for 20 minutes until our car decides to start. This is great for the 8 month old baby. A small gust of wind hit our car door when we were getting out and now the whole darn thing is off it's track and ruining the front panel of our car. We can barely get the door open at all. Another repair we can not afford. Every spare dollar that we have gets put into this damn car. We pay 400 dollars a month in car payments and the rest of our money fixing it. Too bad for my daughters that we can't afford to put money in their college fund until we get a reliable car. Only 3 more years left on our loan. Wonder if the whole damn thing will blow up before we get it paid off. We've only owned it 7 months!!!!!!

- Sioux Falls, SD, USA

Feb 032007

Rendezvous 6-cyl

None of the three buttons on my on-star system work; my plan is paid to Dec. 2007. At the same time I discovered that the back turn signals and back hazard lights do not work (totally off while front ones blink too fast).

- Solana Beach, CA, USA

Oct 052006

Rendezvous 6-cyl

: the contact stated while driving at night, the headlights and the dashboard electronics failed to illuminate intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who replaced the BCM module; however the problem was not corrected. Upon further inspection the dealer could find no problem.

- Monroe, CT, USA

Oct 022006

Rendezvous 6-cyl

: the contact stated after starting the vehicle, there was an error message on the dashboard, the power controls were inoperable and the lights did not work intermittently. The dealership determined the body control module needed to be replaced.

- North Chili, NY, USA

Sep 152006

Rendezvous 6-cyl

I was driving in the dark and the lights shut off almost causing a crash, luckily, I was able to pull over in time, but this issue affects all the lights so no one can see me stopping.

- Richwood, OH, USA

Jul 012006

Rendezvous 6-cyl

Buick Rendezvous 2002. AWD disable light ongoing problem. Dealer can't diagnose the problem after 3 times in the repair shop.

- Kettering, OH, USA

Sep 032006

Rendezvous 6-cyl

At approx 20,000 miles my air conditioner unit went bad. I believe it was the condenser. At approx 23,000 miles my radio will stay on after we exited the car and would drain our battery. Took it to the dealer and found no problems. They regrounded the electrical system. After a couple of hundred miles same issue returned and didn't bother taking it to the dealer. At approx 30,000 miles we were getting a check engine light but dealer didn't find anything. They thought it was air in the fuel tank. Had same issues for a couple of times but didn't bother taking it to the dealer. At approx 45,000 -50,00 the computer unit went bad. The speedometer, odometer, temperature gauge and fuel gauge was going haywire. The dealer replaced the computer unit and at the same time they found the intake manifold gasket was bad. They went ahead and replaced it. At approx 50,00 - 52,000 the key cylinder went bad. I couldn't put in the ignition key and had to tow the truck to the dealer. I never had those problems with previous vehicles. Now at approx 57,500 miles there is a noise in the engine compartment. There's no noise when the engine idles when the car is stopped. When the truck starts speeding up you hear a hum in the engine compartment. The faster you go the louder it gets. It also gets louder if you steer to the right. I have to take it to the dealer to find out what's wrong. The problem is that after you get the car fixed, there's always some other things going bad. Once after another. I have to be at the dealer once a month. There is a website that you can reference to these similar incidents that correspond to what I have been experiencing. It is www.carsurvey.org/viewcomments_review_75095.html.

- Colton, CA, USA

Aug 272006

Rendezvous 6-cyl

I own a 2002 Buick Rendezvous. This vehicle has been nothing but trouble for me since the get go (2004). I have numerous amount of problems that are going on with my vehicle as other owners. All of these problems started at or around 70000 miles. The exterior lights and interior lights go off with out warning and for no reason for sometimes up to a minute (and this has happened at nightime) "major saftey issue" no one can tell us why the vehicle does this. The noise that comes from the front of the vehicle when driven at 45 mph or more is outragious...it makes an awful humming sound so loud that the radio can't be heard. The vehicle also will not start at times as well...for no particular reason at all...nothing can be found wrong with it all!!! it will stall or will not start at all after several starts and turn offs. It has also done this on inclines or after filling at the gas station once as well. If you go back and try to start the vehicle in about a half hour it will start...I figured this out after calling a tow truck several times...and by the time they got to me..they tried to start the vehicle and it started. The vehicle burns a qurt of oil every 3000 miles or so. Now my brakes are to the floor which I have recently had it to the shop again and the mechanic has told me that my brakes are fine that I need my ABS pump (master cylinder) replaced it is leaking $800 +++ just for the part alone hmmmmm"?" just another issue reported like all the above from other Buick Rendezvous 2002 owners. Oh and also my driver side window regulator has broke and that will be costing me $450. Passenger side door does not shut correctly now at all the hinges are messed up on these models. The door gets stuck all the time. All of these problems are problems that other Buick Rendezvous owners of the 2002 models are having and something needs to be done about it asap.

- Brooklyn Park, MD, USA

Jul 062006

Rendezvous

The electrical system reboots or becomes inoperable while driving. Replaced body control module twice and problem still exists. Service dealer cannot seem to duplicate problem and they don't get any readings off the system. This has been an ongoing problem for about 1 1/2 years and they cannot resolve it.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Aug 052006

Rendezvous

I have been having so many problems with our 2002 Buick Rendezvous. Took it to the shop so many times but they can not find nor fix the problem. Had electrical problems just couple of months after purchasing. Right now of 8/8/06 its currently in the shop for: 1. all external and internal lights including headlights and back lights turn off even while car is in drive. Turns off for about 6 seconds. Drove couple of nights when this occurred 1 incident on major highway while merging, almost an accident. Left in pure darkness. Happens anytime of the day. Safety issue that GM service has not yet fixed. 2. car goes on like a security mode. Service engine light soon indicator stays on, radio not work, ac not work, windows and doors lock, clock stops. Everything electrical locks up. Took this to the shop many times and still not fixed. BCM changed in 2004 to try to fix the electrical problems but did not work. 3. 1st time only SUV completely won't start. Last driven was July 31st 06 and it worked fine, it sat in the garage after. Next day of wanting to use it was Aug. 5th 06 would not start and tried to jump charge it but did not work. Had to get it towed out of our garage. My vehicle is currently being diagnosed for the electrical problems that it has been having. So far, no luck on what's the cause of it again. The internal and external light issue should really be addressed for this is something to be concerned about. Could possibly lead to an accident therefore it may be too late.

- Hanford, CA, USA

Jun 292005

Rendezvous 6-cyl

: the contact stated after the vehicle was parked for a short time, it failed to immediately restart and when the engine restarted several electrical items failed to operate. The on-star, power windows, air conditioner, and power locks would not operate at all. The security system alert light illuminated after the vehicle started. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who replaced a modulator in the electrical system.

- Coloma, MI, USA

Apr 062006

Rendezvous

I have a 2002 Buick Rendezvous that had been having some electrical problems. Lights would shut off going down the road, security locking things up, doors locking and unlocking on its own. On April 6th, it caught on fire, causing a total loss. The insurance company has been dragging their feet and now tell me that there has been 232 reports of electrical problems causing fires in the same make and model as mine. Therefore they now are calling in a pyro team? I just wonder if Buick should not be responsible for something is there has been so many problems.

- Carmi, IL, USA

Mar 312006

Rendezvous 4-cyl

We purchased a 2002 Buick Rendezvous and been having electrical problems. All external and internal lights completely shuts off for 6-8 seconds and turns back on. We went to the dealer to have the problem fix but they can not find the problem because it is an intermittent issue. Been in the shop over 5 times and problem started couple of months after purchase and continues till this day. We purchased in Oct. 2001. Dealer changed BCM and problem still occurred. This is a great issue that needs attention! couple of nights driving on highway lights all shut off and highway not lit, extremely terrifying!! happens anytime of the day & any weather condition.

- Hanford, CA, USA

Mar 012005

Rendezvous

Transmission was kicking in and out and found out from transmission dealer that the electrical carriage was burnt and repaired/replaced. Now the gas gauge does not work, air conditioner quit and sensor for reversing quit as well. We are wondering if this carriage issue would control these other issues? there are a number of issues that continues to be a problem, that appears to be sensor/electrical related. We have also had several instances lately where the car would stall. We thought it was the battery, but the battery was fine.

- Savoy, IL, USA

Aug 072005

Rendezvous

2002 Buick Rendezvous consumer returned from a trip and found battery dead. Next morning consumer gauges were not working. The dealer installed a module to correct the gauge problem. The warning lights came on and the dealer installed another module to correct the problem. The next problem was the air condition blowing hot air, it was soon discovered that the incorrect module was installed. The dealer then notified the consumer that the radio kept the air condition from working and a new radio was needed. The consumer stated after the vehicle was jump started due to a dead battery, he began to experience all types of problems.

- Chapin, SC, USA

Aug 262005

Rendezvous 6-cyl

While driving all electrics shut off- engine seems to keep running. This is especially troubling at night. There is a ding-ding battery display turns on briefly then all interior lights, dashboard, and exterior lights shut down for 2 to 3 seconds. This has happened to my wife 3 or 4 times and to me on a very dark road. We purchased the car used and had it 3 weeks -the dealer replaced battery which tested bad -the dealer took care of labor but we had to pay for the battery. 3 days later same issue occurred.

- Owatonna, MN, USA

Jul 012005

Rendezvous 6-cyl

Restarting and delayed start on 2002 Buick Rendezvous. Only 7/1/05 stopped to fill gas tank. After refill, the car started and may have moved no more than 2 feet. Shut off and wouldn't re-crank for at least 15 minutes. On 7/5/05 took the car to master Pontiac in augusta, ga for diagnostics and they could not find anything that could have caused the problem. On 7/17/05, husband was driving the car. Took some friends home, shut the car off for 5 minutes. Tried to restart and car could not start. They tried for several hours before they had the car towed to master Pontiac augusta Georgia. On 7/18/05 the car was started immediately at the dealership. They could not find anything wrong with it. On 7/22/05 again at a gas station the car would not start after refilling. Had to push it out of the way and wait 30 minutes before it would start again. On 7/23/05 (Saturday) called master Pontiac and told service manager about the night before incident. He stated that the next time it happens to call them immediately. Though I truly appreciate the offer, I personally don't see how this will help, since they immediately will try and start the car and sometimes all you have to do is wait 15-30 minutes before it will restart. Master Pontiac has been very helpful, but unfortunately nothing can be found. I supplied the service manager with a listing of other complaints from edmunds forum to show them I'm not making up this problem. This is very frustrating especially when you do not know when the problem is going to happen. This is unsafe for mothers with small children. It's unsafe for anyone. There are numerous complaints regarding this on edmunds forum and something must be done. In addition to the above not starting problem, the car will 80% of the time have a slow start when cranking. Something is definitely wrong. The question is what.

- Martinez, GA, USA

Jul 272005

Rendezvous 6-cyl

After operating my 2002 Buick Rendezvous for about an hour on a hot day, I turned off the engine for a few minutes (5) while I completed some errands. When I attempted to start the engine it would turn over but would not fire. I assumed the engine had overheated so I let it cool for 15 minutes and tried it again. No luck. This went on for the next hour. I finally let the vehicle sit for 45 minutes and it started right up. This has occurred 2 previous times and seems to be a recurring problem with this make and model. Buick refuses to admit to a problem.

- Sanford, ME, USA