2002 Buick Rendezvous electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Buick Rendezvous:

2002 Buick Rendezvous Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Jul 102008

2002 Buick Rendezvous gas gauge / sending unit failure gauge shows tank full when full but also registers full when tank is near empty. Ran out of fuel in heavy traffic but had no collision. GM has no fix for the problem.

- Forest Acres, SC, USA

Jul 152008

Multiple issues with regard to 2002 Buick Rendezvous: With less than 50,000 miles, I have had to replace the onboard computer ($900), left front hub assembly ($1100) and A/C condenser ($1300). Among other issues related to design defects, the odometer is located inside the onboard computer, so the vehicle was in the repair shop for 5 days while the part was shipped to California (from Virginia) for repair. Recalls have not been issued for these parts, though there are numerous complaints on web forums (recommend initiating google search for "2002 Buick Rendezvous complaint").

- Chantilly, VA, USA

Jul 252008

We have a Buick Rendezvous. The car's interior lights go off without warning, and it becomes impossible to see dashboard lights, including speedometer, at night. Other times, horn will start blaring for several minutes with no warning...almost caused an accident startles anyone around. Now, when we turn off the car, the headlights won't go off at all, no matter what we try. Will have a dead battery next time we go to drive the car (tomorrow morning).

- Akron, OH, USA

Jan 102008

Manifold leak/ electrical.

- Tuscaloosa , AL, USA

Nov 012007

Alarm goes off any time you lock doors, can't open locks without using keys so can't open rear doors to get my kids out. Light will not shut off, exterior thermostat is inaccurate, A/C does not work at all times. Door unlock buttons do not work all the time. Car goes into security mode, so no A/C, no clock, no stereo. Trunk pops open by itself. The interior door alarm won't go off even when door is closed. Need to disconnect batteries at times to shut off lights.

- Wrightsville, PA, USA

Mar 152008

Rendezvous 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Buick Rendezvous. While driving approximately 70 mph on the highway at night, all of the warning lights on the dashboard started flickering. Suddenly, all of the warning lights, headlights and speed odometer shut off. She experienced difficulty driving without headlights and was unaware of the speed. The dashboard lights continued to flicker on and off. The following day, an independent mechanic diagnosed the failure and stated that the body control module needed to be replaced. The cost of repairs were $926. The manufacturer reimbursed her for $383.56 since the vehicle was not repaired at an authorized dealer. She was unable to afford the cost to repair the vehicle at the dealer. The current and failure mileages were 54,000. Updated 06/25/08. The consumer stated the problem has returned. Updated

- Clarence, NY, USA

Jan 012006

Rendezvous 6-cyl

2002 Buick Rendezvous all the lights turn off and turn back on- there is not a loss of engine power. This has happened over 50-60 times in the last year. Lost count on the previous years before that. We've been to the dealer twice and they state they can not get the problem to happen (while in the shop), and without it happening at the precise time, they can not fix the issue. It's only a matter of time until something really bad happens. We want to sell this vehicle, but I can't sell it myself knowing this will happen to the buyer. Dealer will not give us even close to a trade in value (pricing obtained from three separate sources) stating the vehicle is plagued with electrical problems.

- Victor, NY, USA

Mar 142008

Starting sometime at the end of October 2007 into November of 2007 my 2002 Buick Rendezvous started having starting problems associated with the security system. Vehicle would intermittently not would be hard to start or not start at all. If jumped off the alarm system would go off. Sometimes the radio would not come on, A/C would not come on, lights would flash, etc. In late November the vehicle finally went haywire and started blowing the horn, lights blinking and lights not going off after vehicle was turned off. Disconnected battery repeatedly to reset until that would no longer work. Took it to the dealer to have it checked. Was told it was the BCM. Had BCM replaced and reprogrammed. On March 14, 2008, vehicle started doing the same things that lead up to this part being replaced. Am taking it in again this week if I can keep it started. Doing this complaint because after reading various internet blogs, forums and chats this problem seems to be a recurring problem for many 2002 Buick Rendezvous'.

- Roseland, LA, USA

Feb 272008

Rendezvous 6-cyl

On occasions my Rendezvous would make a sputtering sound when I would turn it off, then lights and radio would turn off immediately, instead of the upon opening the door. This has happen several times. Dealers explained not to worry about the problem. Anti lock brake light came on 3 days ago, it went out then came back on again. After starting the vehicle normally this morning and driving apprx 2 1/2 miles, I turned the vehicle off. Immediately my 2002 Rendezvous doors locks are automatically engaging itself in the unlock mode; the doors will not lock with or without manual control; the lights are constantly flashing; the radio is locked out. It would not allow me to start it at all. After waiting apprx 30mins and removing the fuse for the door lock it started. But once the fuse is placed back in it begin to have the same problem. This problem continues since 7:45am time now approx 4:20pm called a few dealers who wants to charge $90 per hr to look at the vehicle, unfortunately I don't have the funds. I've been treated like like an idiot when I take my vehicle in for service by a Buick dealer. Ed rinke in centerline, mi, refused to even look at my vehicle regarding the fuel tank recall. I don't want to pay hundreds of $ for a minor repair or an malfunction by the manufacturer. This vehicle was purchase in 2005 w 63,000 and now has apprx 101,000 miles.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Feb 152008

Rendezvous 6-cyl

I have experienced a series of mechanical failures on my vehicle since the year I purchased it. The latest incident was 02/15/08 wherein the lights on the vehicle console began to flash...engine coolant light, change oil, battery-the vehicle then began to slow down approaching 42mph (the car had regular maintenance on 02/08/08). This occurred on highway 680 southbound during rush hour traffic. The vehicle has been serviced repeatedly for the same issue with no remedy more than five times. I now feel at risk and feel the vehicle is a safety hazard. The car completely shut down on me 08/30/07 in triple digit heat on highway 680 northbound. I had the vehicle towed to the dealership for service. I was told the problem was a faulty fuel filter. The filter was replaced and the problem recurred about 3 or 4 weeks later. The dealership and GM tell me that since they cannot duplicate the problem, there is nothing they can do. The previous time I had my vehicle serviced for mechanical failure, my husband picked the vehicle up for repair and he experienced the same problem immediately after pulling off the delearship property. All of my services have been performed by the same dealership. All of my maintenance is current. There must be some reasonable explanation for this recurring problem, but no one seems to have an answer. I have had the computer/parts replaced twice within 6 months, fuel filters replaced, sensors replaced and a host of other items. I want to get rid of the vehicle at this point because I have to travel almost 30 miles one way to my place of employment. Since GM says there is nothing wrong with the vehicle, I should at least be able to trade the current vehicle in at the highest trade-in value and purchase a vehicle of similar design and value.

- Fairfield, CA, USA

Feb 082008

Rendezvous 6-cyl

2002 Buick Rendezvous, - sold by GM S "GM certified".. only must have been a joke. From the onset, solenoid difficulties created dangerous situation on highway, called them and spoke rather bluntly... that was after many, many calls. Wipers didn't work in the rain... would stick.. very dangerous while driving. Intake manifold gasket - cost one thousand dollars.. fuel gauge does not work. Car does not run.. get stuck for the past two months, at least three times per week. Paid four hundred dollars to replace "things".. still gets stuck.. now car won't start. Sometimes, windows don't work, car won't lock or unlock, car won't start. At this point, car is dead. BCM? who knows. Disaster car. It's a gift from god that we're not dead.

- Easton, PA, USA

Mar 012006

Rendezvous 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Buick Rendezvous. While driving 45 mph, the interior lights dimmed for approximately three seconds. The dealer was unable to diagnose the failure; however, they replaced the electronic brake and traction control module along with the body control module. The failure continued. The dealer stated that the HVAC control head and the battery caused the failure. The contact stated that her husband replaced both parts and there had been no further occurrences. While driving 35 mph, the contact heard a clinking noise coming from underneath the vehicle. The vehicle then shut off without warning. The mechanic was unable to diagnose the failure. The contact took the vehicle to a different mechanic and he stated that the transmission failed. As of November 8, 2007, the mechanic had not repaired the vehicle. The contact stated that the front passenger side electronic door locks would not operate. As of November 8, 2007, the dealer had not inspected the vehicle. The failure mileage was 45,000 and current mileage was 65,000.

- Xenia, OH, USA

May 192007

Rendezvous 6-cyl

My 2002 Rendezvous was purchased mid-year 2005. At first there were only small flickers in the headlights, like blinking quickly. The auto electrician said our battery was overcharging and replaced it. About 6 months ago, my car wouldn't start, no sound at all like the battery was dead. Bought another battery and two days later it wouldn't start again. Again electrician looked it over, could find nothing. Soon my door locks began to lock and unlock by themselves even when the car was off and no one was in it. Coming home one night on a very dark road, all of my lights went out, inside and out. There was no where to pull over and no outside lights. It scared me bad. The weather sensor would say there was ice on the road when it was 95 degrees outside. When it was really hot one day some kind of lock was put on my air conditioner, power door locks and windows and I thought I'd suffocate before I got to work. The car did the sensor lock by itself. I have paid another 145 dollars to the auto electrician to try and trace what we thought was a ground fault. He ordered the electrical schematics and traced all grounds and could find nothing. The only way we could reset the computer was to unhook the battery, then hook it back up. I haven't driven this car in 6 weeks because it is so unreliable and dangerous to drive. I can't afford to keep paying people to fix something that we're not sure is the problem. From reading complaints on the internet, I'm not the only one dealing with this. Someone needs to do something before there is a bad accident stemming from this.

- Orangeburg, SC, USA

Mar 042007

Rendezvous 6-cyl

I have a 2002 Buick Rendezvous and I believe it should be recalled. We have had many problems with this car! on top of our 400 dollar a month car payment we can not afford to replace all of these problems. Our ac condenser and blower do not work properly. In fact only the two highest settings of the heater work on our car. So it's great driving hours to christmas knowing that our three young daughters will either be freezing or sweating. Next the wheel bearings went. That was going to be a very costly repair. We purchased a wheel bearing at sturdevants to help us save money. Then when that didn't fix the problem we brought it into the Buick dealership again. Only then did they tell us that they were recalled and replaced them for free. The 150 we spent personally to buy the wheel bearing? too bad GM said. The electrical unit does not work properly. The car will lose power or not start at all sometimes like the battery is dead, but then it will work fine 20 minutes later. My kids love sitting in a cold car when it's 20 below zero here in South Dakota for 20 minutes until our car decides to start. This is great for the 8 month old baby. A small gust of wind hit our car door when we were getting out and now the whole darn thing is off it's track and ruining the front panel of our car. We can barely get the door open at all. Another repair we can not afford. Every spare dollar that we have gets put into this damn car. We pay 400 dollars a month in car payments and the rest of our money fixing it. Too bad for my daughters that we can't afford to put money in their college fund until we get a reliable car. Only 3 more years left on our loan. Wonder if the whole damn thing will blow up before we get it paid off. We've only owned it 7 months!!!!!!

- Sioux Falls, SD, USA

Feb 032007

Rendezvous 6-cyl

None of the three buttons on my on-star system work; my plan is paid to Dec. 2007. At the same time I discovered that the back turn signals and back hazard lights do not work (totally off while front ones blink too fast).

- Solana Beach, CA, USA

Oct 052006

Rendezvous 6-cyl

: the contact stated while driving at night, the headlights and the dashboard electronics failed to illuminate intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who replaced the BCM module; however the problem was not corrected. Upon further inspection the dealer could find no problem.

- Monroe, CT, USA

Oct 022006

Rendezvous 6-cyl

: the contact stated after starting the vehicle, there was an error message on the dashboard, the power controls were inoperable and the lights did not work intermittently. The dealership determined the body control module needed to be replaced.

- North Chili, NY, USA

Sep 152006

Rendezvous 6-cyl

I was driving in the dark and the lights shut off almost causing a crash, luckily, I was able to pull over in time, but this issue affects all the lights so no one can see me stopping.

- Richwood, OH, USA

Jul 012006

Rendezvous 6-cyl

Buick Rendezvous 2002. AWD disable light ongoing problem. Dealer can't diagnose the problem after 3 times in the repair shop.

- Kettering, OH, USA

Sep 032006

Rendezvous 6-cyl

At approx 20,000 miles my air conditioner unit went bad. I believe it was the condenser. At approx 23,000 miles my radio will stay on after we exited the car and would drain our battery. Took it to the dealer and found no problems. They regrounded the electrical system. After a couple of hundred miles same issue returned and didn't bother taking it to the dealer. At approx 30,000 miles we were getting a check engine light but dealer didn't find anything. They thought it was air in the fuel tank. Had same issues for a couple of times but didn't bother taking it to the dealer. At approx 45,000 -50,00 the computer unit went bad. The speedometer, odometer, temperature gauge and fuel gauge was going haywire. The dealer replaced the computer unit and at the same time they found the intake manifold gasket was bad. They went ahead and replaced it. At approx 50,00 - 52,000 the key cylinder went bad. I couldn't put in the ignition key and had to tow the truck to the dealer. I never had those problems with previous vehicles. Now at approx 57,500 miles there is a noise in the engine compartment. There's no noise when the engine idles when the car is stopped. When the truck starts speeding up you hear a hum in the engine compartment. The faster you go the louder it gets. It also gets louder if you steer to the right. I have to take it to the dealer to find out what's wrong. The problem is that after you get the car fixed, there's always some other things going bad. Once after another. I have to be at the dealer once a month. There is a website that you can reference to these similar incidents that correspond to what I have been experiencing. It is

- Colton, CA, USA