1997 Buick Skylark electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1997 Buick Skylark:

1997 Buick Skylark Owner Comments

May 302008

Skylark

I was told that alternators don't catch fire, but I was on the parkway after leaving work, and the car was making a weird loud noise and then smoke came out from hood and car was stopped. A good Samaritan gentleman helped me at night and opened hood of my car and we saw the fire coming from the alternator. He had to toss water on it to douse the flames. Is it true that alternators don't catch fire and if thats the case, why did mine? Am i am the exception? Can someone enlighten me on this?

- , Queens, NY, USA