2005 Buick Terraza steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Buick Terraza:

2005 Buick Terraza Owner Comments

May 152014

Terraza 6-cyl

As we were driving home in may of 2014 the left front brake grabbed as if I had applied the brake, since then we have had both wheel bearings replaced lower ball joints and tie rod ends but nothing has changed. It has grabbed several times since then, this is a serious matter that should be dealt with, I refuse to let my wife drive the van especially when we have our five children with us because when this occurs it jerks the to the left towards oncoming traffic.

- Noblesville, IN, USA

Feb 092006

The contact owns a 2005 Buick Terraza. The contact stated that while driving between 5 -10 mph, the power steering assist suddenly failed making the steering wheel very difficult to turn. The contact indicated that the failure recurred intermittently and would independently correct within 20 seconds of occurring. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 15,000.

- South Burlington, VT, USA

Oct 202013

Terraza 6-cyl

Buick Terraza just shuts down while driving (at various speeds) or stopped without warning. Everything shuts down with display stating, "starting disabled, reduced engine power." I must try to get to the side quickly. After about 30 seconds, the van restarts and continues for a while until it does the exact same thing again.

- Manor, TX, USA

Jun 032013

Terraza 6-cyl

Randomly, while driving the ABS system activates the brakes, pulling the car to one-side. If my memory serves me correctly, it pulls to the right. After this happens, the car's "traction control active" message appears on the instrument panel. Parking the car, turning it off, and restarting the car causes the message to go away. This has happened about 4 times in the past 3 weeks at speeds varying from 5-35 miles per hour. I fear that it could be potentially dangerous if this were to happen at higher speeds.. the car has been checked, prior to this incident, by an ase certified shop and both front wheel hubs have been replaced within the past 18 months, which have integrated wheel speed sensors. I have read that most shops have been unable to pinpoint any reason for this problem, but I do plan to have my mechanic investigate and see if the computer is reporting any error codes.

- Pepper Pike, OH, USA

Oct 062011

The contact owns a 2005 Buick Terraza. The contact was driving approximately 40 mph when the steering wheel involuntarily steered the vehicle into the right lane. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, but they were unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure, but offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 43,000.

- Charlestown, SC, USA

Oct 132005

Terraza 6-cyl

I own a 2005 Buick Terraza. Bought the vehicle in July of 2005 at around 8000 miles noticed a vibration in the steering wheel, took it to the dealer and they said the tires needed to be re-balanced. After I left dealership still noticed the vehicle shaking. Went back to the dealership front tires are now going bald and they state it was my fault for not rotating at 5,000 miles. So they do it for me rebalance tires and say it is okay. After 4 times of going back to dealership for the vibration they say there is nothing they can do about it. So I am supposed to live with this vibration when driving at speeds of 65-70. This is a big safety issue since this will just lead to more problems down the road. The dealer points the finger to Buick, Buick points the finger back to the dealership and nobody wants to tack responsibility for this.

- Middletown, NY, USA

Oct 082005

Terraza 6-cyl

Steering locked up while driving 50 mph on a very busy four lane highway while I was in the fast lane, heading westbound. Van decelerated to about 30 mph instantly, began swerving from right to left without ability to control movement of vehicle. The traction control light came on and the service stability system light also came on. Could not turn off the traction control. Had no control over the steering, brakes or gas. A very loud grinding noise was coming from the front of the van, sounding and feeling like every wheel was being turned in a different direction. I was able to turn the van a very hard left to steer it into an open lot, although I did have to pull in front of oncoming cars, but I had no other option as there were cars on the side of me and quickly coming up behind me. Van was serviced at the dealer who said that the steering wheel sensor was faulty; case file started with Buick, but after servicing, they closed the case, saying the problem was resolved. I will never drive this vehicle again and I feel there is still a major safety issue here. Other sensors have been replaced, only to have those problems occur again. This van has been in for service repairs for 11 different things in the seven months that I have owned it, and it now only has 6036 miles on it. I feel that this van in particular is very unsafe and possibly other Terraza's also have these same safety problems. This is something that the manufacturer should own up to and do the right thing and replace the vehicle before the unthinkable occurs.

- North Huntingdon, PA, USA