2013 Cadillac ATS engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Cadillac ATS:

2013 Cadillac ATS Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

May 102013

ATS 4-cyl

When coasting to a stop light, or a stop sign, the car will occasionally stall for no reason. I drive a stick shift, and will move the shifter into neutral as I am coming to a stop, and on multiple occasions, the car has just stalled out and I lose all power steering and electronic brake assistance, which makes stopping the car more difficult. This issue has also occurred a few times when actively driving at higher speeds. I will get a message on my dic saying that my power steering needs to be serviced, and shortly after the car stalls.

- East Rochester, NY, USA

Nov 242013

ATS 4-cyl

I was pulling in to a parking spot behind a car at a very low speed when I pressed the brakes for the car to stop, instead it accelerated and smashed in to a car in front of me. I tried pressing the brakes harder in order to avoid the impact and the car did not respond.

- Brooklyn , NY, USA

Jul 132011

ATS

The brake and gas pedal are so close together that when braking in heavy traffic it is possible to depress the gas pedal while braking resulting in an engine surge condition. This only happens in bumper to bumper traffic or when stopping at a traffic light.

- Central Islip, NY, USA

Jun 122013

ATS 4-cyl

I have a 2013 Ats 6 speed. A couple weeks after I got it will stall when slowing down to make a complete stop. It stopped for about a month then it continued again. It would happen as often as twice a week to a couple times a month. My car now has over 3K miles and it still happens. I noticed I has not been as frequent as previous months but it still happens once in a while.

- Salinas, CA, USA

Jun 202013

ATS 4-cyl

When coasting to come to a stop the vehicle engine will stall/turn off. This has happened numerous times since the first incident in June. This is a 6 speed manual transmission equipped vehicle, and the transmission is either in neutral or the clutch pedal is depressed so that the engine/transmission are decoupled. I have been able to watch the tachometer when it has stalled twice, and then the engine just shuts off, very abruptly (no shaking, or noise). It has also happened when slowing to take a turn with the clutch pedal depressed, which is very difficult to get back started as you are trying to drive and not cause an accident (plus the steering wheel locks). I have reported this to the dealer, and they have tried to diagnose it, however no fix has happened. It will normally stall about once every week or so, it is very intermittent. The dealer went as far as to blame me for stalling the vehicle, they said I didn't disengage the clutch at a high enough RPM which is completely untrue and regardless the car was in neutral and I was coasting to a stop (therefore it would be impossible to stall the vehicle in gear). I am not the only one with this issue, there have been numerous people on forums complaining of the same issue. My car is currently in the lemon process with the BBB autoline program as this has happened multiple times. Dealer/GM can not duplicate the issue and has no idea what the problem is.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jan 082013

ATS 4-cyl

When coasting to come to a stop the vehicle engine will stall. This has happened numerous times since the first incident in January. This is a 6 speed manual transmission equipped vehicle, and the transmission is either in neutral or the clutch pedal is depressed so that the engine/transmission are decoupled. I have been able to watch the tachometer when it has stalled twice, and it seems to get to a lower RPM than normal (<500rpm) and then the engine just shuts off, very abruptly. It has also happened when slowing to take a turn with the clutch pedal depressed, which is very difficult to get back started as you are trying to drive and not cause an accident. I have reported this to the dealer, and they have tried to diagnose it, however no fix has happened. It will normally stall about once every week or so, it is very intermittent and seems more often with a higher load on the engine (hot days, A/C running, etc...). the dealer went as far as to blame me for stalling the vehicle, they said I didn't disengage the clutch at a high enough RPM which is completely untrue and regardless the car was in neutral and I was coasting to a stop (therefore it would be impossible to stall the vehicle in gear). I am not the only one with this issue, there have been numerous people on forums complaining of the same issue.

- North Aurora, IL, USA

Oct 042013

ATS

Vehicle quietly stalls and has happened numerous times since purchasing the vehicle less than a month ago. Brought it to the dealer but they basically just say it is designed to stall in certain instances which I believe is just nonsense and unsafe. I have read online that this is happening to other Ats owners so I know that this is a serious and unsafe issue with the 6spd Ats.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jul 262013

ATS 4-cyl

Vehicle turns off when in neutral approaching to stop. This is not from improper foot work on the clutch. The vehicle is in neutral. It has happened over 13 times since vehicle purchased on 7/26/2013 (first incident on date of purchase). The vehicle will turn on immediately after. It has been to the dealership three times and twice they kept it for a week. The problem did not duplicate with the dealership. On the third visit they replaced the engine control module. Five days after picking it up after they replaced the engine control module the problem happened again. This is very dangerous as it has happened at busy intersections and it is a safety concern.

- Vineland, NJ, USA

Jun 032013

ATS 4-cyl

2.5 liter engine on my 2013 Cadillac Ats shakes while sitting at traffic lights. GM updated the software three times on a recall but now advised that the engine shaking in normal and they can do nothing about it.

- Missouri City, TX, USA

Jul 012013

ATS 4-cyl

Vehicle stalled quietly when coming to stop with vehicle in neutral and/or clutch depressed. I say quietly because I did not hear or feel it shut off. (different from stalling vehicle due to improper foot work on the clutch) when I went to turn left I realized it was dead. Vehicle did restart immediately. This has happened 6 - 10 times in the last 3 months. Most recently the power steering rack failed to turn back on at restart. Dealer serviced steering controller per tsb. They could not duplicate random stalling in a 10 mile test drive as it only happens to me only once a week or two. This could be more dangerous if it did not restart and I was in the middle of an intersection or moving.

- Fishers, IN, USA

Aug 012013

ATS

I have the 2013 Ats 2.0 turbo and I had a few issues with it.the first is steering, sometimes feels like power failure, its the only new car I owned when the car is off the wheel turns completely.also pulls to right.other issue I get banging noise when put in reverse, and a few times sounded like trans making race noise.the cue system is a joke, when my trial for xm ran out I tried to listen to fm rdi and that's a joke, I cant listen to one song, there's static eighty percent of times.other issues ride is horrible rides like a trans am and shakes when hit bumps.after coming out of a Acura and Honda I now know why I stayed away from GM.oh forgot the engine shakes at idle feels like stall, then revs up.all the dealer does is says meets designed function.I ask myself a car this expensive is it supposed to be crap.

- Oakland Park, FL, USA

Jun 072013

ATS 4-cyl

Right turn from stop onto major 6-lane highway; no power to engine after engagement of accelerator; acted as though not in-drive gear; tachometer reved past 6K; foot off of pedal; transmission engaged; very slow return to normal operation; evasive action by other drivers following; no replication by dealer after 4-days of testing; returned vehicle to owner without explanation of problem.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

May 202013

ATS

2.5 liter engine at stop engine shakes for no reason. As usual take to dealer and can't find issue without a code. Now at 2572 miles still shakes and dealer says that all Ats do this so live with it. I say that this Ats by GM. Needs to take these issues seriously as this will hurt the sales of a really cool car. Is there someone that can get the CEO of Cadillac attention this is unacceptable to paid over 35K. When I have brand new Kia that has a 4 cycl engine with no issues. Come on GM. Lets get this issue resolved I have already file a complaint to GM. But no response per usual. No wonder we by non american cars.I have waited 13 years to get a new car and I thought I give the Ats a try. What ashame that such a cool car that this engine ruins the great feeling to own a american car. Can someone please help us. O by the way the dealer is hill Cadillac in newtown. Edgemont pa. Any other Ats customers have same issues. I see on Cadillac forum there seems to be a lot of frustration about lack of a fix.

- Boothwyn, PA, USA

Dec 252012

ATS 6-cyl

Rough idle when in drive and stopped at light (always), I did bring it in for service for the rough idle and dealership stated nothing showed up on computer so they were unable to correct problem.

- Kent, WA, USA