2013 Cadillac ATS steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Cadillac ATS:

2013 Cadillac ATS Owner Comments

Feb 102016

Driving on 71 in columbus oh to mansfield oh going 70 mph on highway and at ex 173 started snowing heavy, traffic came to hault at 10 mph, had.09 miles to exit, got to exit made a right off exit started up a hill in snow at 30 mph and before making it up the hill the car stopped in middle of one lane rd. And display power steering... called 911 three times, waited outside in snow for hr and half for them to tow car to bill harris auto 419-289-2000 in ashland oh five mi down rd. Next day they couldnt duplicate the problem so they couldnt fix it. I told them I dont feel safe in car and that I could have died if going any faster, it stopped without any warning. He said he would give me $10 thous towards another vehicle when car is worth $20,500. In my excellent shape. I said why is it only worth that, he said becuase I said it wasnt safe to drive and that he couldnt sell a car if it wasnt safe. This isnt my fault for the power steering to go out, there are 15 complaints online at www.2013atscadillacpowersteeringproblems. why isnt there a recall? I want something done about this, I have escalated claim togm and want GM to do a repurchase or a buy back. I shouldnt feel danger when I get in my car. Lisa guy please contact me at 330-553-9804 address is 14 wooley park P.O. Box 71 ashley oh 43003-0071

- Ashley, OH, USA

Jul 122015

The contact owns a 2013 Cadillac Ats. While the driving 50 mph, the power steering light illuminated and prevented the driver from turning the steering wheel. The vehicle was towed to the dealer to have a diagnostic performed. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 11,100.

- Houston , TX, USA

Jun 022014

Since June 2013, the Cadillac Ats has been making a vibration feeling. The vibration is unknown, it has been to service twice. First I was suggested to try a different gas (premium gas). The problem continued to occur, so I switched back to regular gas. Then received a recall letter about the transmission shift and that problem was fixed. But I also asked service to drive vehicle around while in the shop to figure out the occurring vibration issue. Service told me all the Cadillac Ats's cars do the same thing and that thats how they were manufactured, but the problem continues. I don't want to insert a different gas type if the car is suppose to take regular unleaded. (I bought car because it is gas saver). As a customer I shouldn't have to change the gas and spend more than I already am monthly if the car is not running properly. Nor should I have to keep taking it in for recalls and paying for a car ($552 per month) if it was not manufactured correctly in the first place. I have the right to exchange my defected vehicle at the cost of General Motors.

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Feb 012014

Turned car off. Started 5 mins later moved just a couple miles and hour and power steering and power brakes went out. Turned car off and worked after that.

- West Warwick, RI, USA

May 252014

I turned the car off in my driveway. When I started it the power steering didn't work.

- Kc, , MO, USA

Apr 082014

The vehicle stalled while sitting in neutral, waiting at a red light. The air conditioning was running. The engine runs so quietly that from inside the vehicle I would not have been able to tell the engine had shut off if the A/C had not stopped blowing. I restarted the vehicle and an alert came on the dash screen stating: Service power steering, drive with care. I was approximately 3/4 of a mile from my home coming downhill on a quiet neighborhood street so I carefully drove the vehicle home and parked in the garage while I called the service department at my local Cadillac dealership. He told me the power steering is controlled by the electrical system may have glitched when I restarted the vehicle and not been activated. He said I could restart the vehicle after 30 seconds and the power steering should function properly again. He told me if there is an issue I can have GM tow the vehicle in, or if the power steering begins to function again I can drive it in to have it serviced. Once I restarted the vehicle the power steering was functioning properly. I will be having Cadillac look at the vehicle this afternoon.

- Temecula, CA, USA

Mar 122014

ATS 4-cyl

Hello, I have a 2013 Cadillac Ats 2.0T AWD and I have been having serious issues with the car stalling and idling roughly. It has stalled on my three times already since I got the car in October, and I have taken it in for service on two different occasions for that same issue. Each time they kept the car for three days to try and replicate the issue with no answers for me except "make sure you bring it in next time it happens". I no longer feel safe driving the car especially since the last time it happened I was driving 25mph in heavy traffic, and I narrowly avoided getting rear-ended.

- Keego Harbor, MI, USA

Jan 092013

I have two issues to report that may be a safety concern: 1) there have been multiple times when driving in wet conditions (rain/snow) where I will get a 'power steering failure' warning. When this happens the power steering does one of two things. It either almost locks up and becomes extremely hard to turn the wheel, or it will still move easily, but it won't auto center when making turns. I have reported this to the dealer and they said it was a bad steering angle sensor. They replaced the sensor but the issue is not resolved and now that it's snowing it's happening more and more consistently. 2) there have been 3 cases where I was driving and coming to a stop and the car will just randomly shut down. I lose all ability to steer (since it's electric steering) and brake. This stall is different then a stall associated misuse of the clutch. The clutch has been pressed in all the way in when this happens and the car doesn't shutter like a clutch stall, just totally shuts down quietly. Luckily there has not been an accident yet, but if this happens when there are multiple cars around me it will be difficulty to avoid one.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Apr 122013

While decelerating to make various turns or stop at an intersection the vehicle shuts off with no warning. Also the steering and brakes become hard. On one occasion while merging onto the highway it occurred again, almost causing me to crash into a vehicle then lose control.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jul 012013

ATS 4-cyl

Vehicle stalled quietly when coming to stop with vehicle in neutral and/or clutch depressed. I say quietly because I did not hear or feel it shut off. (different from stalling vehicle due to improper foot work on the clutch) when I went to turn left I realized it was dead. Vehicle did restart immediately. This has happened 6 - 10 times in the last 3 months. Most recently the power steering rack failed to turn back on at restart. Dealer serviced steering controller per tsb. They could not duplicate random stalling in a 10 mile test drive as it only happens to me only once a week or two. This could be more dangerous if it did not restart and I was in the middle of an intersection or moving.

- Fishers, IN, USA

Aug 012013

I have the 2013 Ats 2.0 turbo and I had a few issues with it.the first is steering, sometimes feels like power failure, its the only new car I owned when the car is off the wheel turns completely.also pulls to right.other issue I get banging noise when put in reverse, and a few times sounded like trans making race noise.the cue system is a joke, when my trial for xm ran out I tried to listen to fm rdi and that's a joke, I cant listen to one song, there's static eighty percent of times.other issues ride is horrible rides like a trans am and shakes when hit bumps.after coming out of a Acura and Honda I now know why I stayed away from GM.oh forgot the engine shakes at idle feels like stall, then revs up.all the dealer does is says meets designed function.I ask myself a car this expensive is it supposed to be crap.

- Oakland Park, FL, USA

Jan 102013

ATS 4-cyl

While turning into a parking lot experienced loss of power steering. Message in the dic indicated "service power steering, drive with care". upon restart of engine the power steering began to work again. Dealer saw C0545 steering wheel torque sensor fault, dealer notes indicate that the connector was checked and was ok. Also checked ebcm software, which was up to date. Nothing further was done, no parts updated or replaced. I received the same dic message ~4 times in the past 3 weeks without the loss of power steering prior to this event which prompted a visit to the dealer.

- St. Clair Shores, MI, USA

Nov 282012

ATS 6-cyl

When taking a corner the car appeared to over steer. At first I thought it was me so I went to turn the wheel to correct it and it felt sluggish for lack of a better word. Almost instantly after that a warning came up on the dash that indicated something like "service power steering, please drive safely". the warning occurred two more times in a matter of a couple miles but I did not really notice any steering issues those times.

- Austin, TX, USA